First 1911, budgets is $1500 - head is spinning with choices

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by traize, Jan 26, 2012.

1. traize

traize New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Now.. I have happened to come into a bit of money and I want to spend it on something I've wanted a long long time.. a 1911 - I'm topping out at about $1500 as my max price. I plan on babying it so I don't plan to scratch it with the slide stop.

That being said I'm seriously considering:

1. STI Trojan
    2. SS TRP
    3. Dan Wesson Valor
    4. Colt Gold Cup
    5. Kimber Eclipse
    6. All kinds of others there is so many.

I live in Austin, Texas and I really like the idea of having a pistol that was made a bit north of me. Dawson Precision is not far away either, and thats who I would buy the STI from - so I would have a really good gunsmith nearby as well. And with it coming in right at 1k it seems really attractive. If I decide to hard chrome it - thats $300 more.

The problem is - I can't fire any of these - most of the ranges here only have basic 1911's to rent. So I'm going to have to make the jump sometime but not sure what to start with.

So what do you guys think? What others do I need to consider?

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I've had a couple of STIs before upgrading. They are good guns in their price range IMO. Plus you can go visit the factory! Additionally, you have the satisfaction of knowing your dollars are supporting the greatest nation in the world- TEXAS!

3. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Out of those listed I would choose the Dan Wesson. Best production gun for the money right now. IMO

4. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Valor, TRP, or Trojan.

5. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I've not owned any on your list, but if it was me I'd likely go for the Valor. Your Gold Cup option seems out of place on that list, but you might consider a Combat Elite XSE to represent Colt instead.

6. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    It depends on what you are looking for. The Valor is the beauty queen in the looks department, and it doesn't have any MIM if you're one of those. The TRP has FCS and a magwell and tends to be a little tighter than the Valor, plus they have the best CS around. I don't have any experience with the STI, but have heard good things.

I liked my TRP so much that I bought two.

Here's one I had re-coated in ion-bond

[​IMG]

And my operator that is currently at SACS

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Pretty good summary. I went TRP and love it, no regrets whatsoever. MIM doesn't offend me. They use that technology on some pretty critical components on airplanes. I don't see many people refusing to fly or investigate because the rotors or bushings are MIM.

8. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    3 or 4 and hell no on number 5

Grab a mil spec and shoot it to sacs for some tweaking or as noted a TRP

9. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    First off......:welcometo:

For the 1500 price range,I'd say your PRETTY close to Les Baer Premier II territory.All steel,no MIM and a little more exclusive than a TRP .
    After my experience with DW products and the dumbasses that run that company,I'd recommend a Philippine 1911 first. :rolleyes2:

If you want a low production semi-custom I'd say give CJ a call at...208-772-2339.He's in Idaho,so make some allowance for the time zone.

I'm pretty sure he's in that price range on a PII(maybe a couple of bucks more,maybe not :biggrin1: )

ps:don't even consider a Kimber,it's the only 1911 I hate worse than DW.
    DAT85

10. DeadEye

DeadEye Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Avoid the Kimber, especially if you plan to shoot the gun more than a few thousand rounds. Never shot an STI or Valor, so I can't say... rep is good. The TRP over the Colt, for me. My personal fav is a Baer.

11. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Another option could be a Springfield Range Officer. Then use the rest of the money on a reliability package....if needed, and extra mags, holster, ammo etc.
    But as said earlier. Save a couple of hundreds more, and get the Baer.

As they say about quality...Buy it and cry only once.

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Baer... Call CJ and chat as was suggested.. Ya never know what might just be available.. Ron

13. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I have two Dan Wessons...
    A Valor ( VBOB) and a PM 7.... I have had ZERO issues with either gun. I would purchase another with confidence....
    HOWEVER... I have not had to deal with their service department , which I have heard may be a bit frustrating...

14. Outlaw450

Outlaw450 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    If you want to stay in your price range check out the new Ithaca 1911s.

15. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Spend a measly $100 more and get a Baer on sale from CJ while before the sale ends.

16. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
  17. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Or this.

18. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I agree and would add Doublestar to the list.

19. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I agree with the folks who advised you to call John at CJ's...

20. bips357m

bips357m Member

May 22, 2012
    As someone else who is looking for a 1911 in the $1000-$1500 range, although in 9mm, what is there about Kimber and DW that so many seem to dislike?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted