First 1911 for Rookie Competitor?

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by DonTejano, Jun 19, 2020.

Best choice for a rookie right out of the box?

1. Colt 1911 Government Competition, Stainless, (O1070CCS)

91.3%
  2. Sig Sauer 1911 Max (1911-45-MAXM)

8.7%
  1. DonTejano

DonTejano Member Supporting Addict

Jun 13, 2020
    Sig.JPG Colt.JPG As stated in my 'New Member Introductions' post on 6/14/2020, I've decided to make my next purchase (pistol no. seven) a 1911, which will be the first of my collection. I'm an aspiring USPSA competitor and have narrowed my choices down to the two options listed in the poll (both chambered in .45 ACP). Criteria for landing on these two options include availability, price point, and ready to go for a rookie right out of the box. I wish I could include a Dan Wesson Pointman 45 on the list of current options but no luck finding one at this time.

Current retail in my neck of the woods is ~$950 for the Colt and ~$1,200 for the Sig.

Your vote (and any additional guidance) would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I owned a Colt Competition. It was one of the very scarce few 1911’s that was set up right out of the box like I like them for matches (IDPA). I like front strap checkering (which it doesn’t have) but I just add Dawson’s skateboad grip tape in any color you like. I also personally dislike target sights like the Sig for "action shooting” because they can bum up your hand if you have a mis feed, or failure to go into battery and want to give the back of the slide a firm bump with the heel of your hand.

Just add a Smith and Alexander magwell.

KitKat, Rick McC., B81 and 4 others like this.

3. DonTejano

Jun 13, 2020
    @fieldgrade, thanks for the input! The consideration re: the rear sight on the Sig would've been lost on me.

4. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    My Colt Competition was a great gun, put a Chen SI mag well on it and won single stack out of the box at a local match.

I've also had great luck with TRPs, ready to run from the factory for someone wanting to test the competition waers.

DonTejano and gps man like this.
  5. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict Sponsor

May 19, 2020
    Colt competition. It's a lot of gun for the money, plus it's a COLT. Nuff said. The gun I see the most of honestly is the Les Baer Premier II...although not in the same price bracket. It's a proven winner right out of the box as well.

Recoil and DonTejano like this.
  6. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

I've never competed in anything.....but I really like your suggestions here for carry, too.

I've been very pleased with the S & A magwells. The fit is perfect and the full length checkering is welcome.

Just like @fieldgrade said...sharp profile adjustable will get your attention at some point. I had the adjustable rear on my SA RO slice my hand.....more than once.

DonTejano and fieldgrade like this.
  7. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    John Harrison can solve that problem on Springers.

C67D3BC1-82BE-43F0-9517-BF2157E35978_1_201_a.jpeg

DonTejano, 1911 crazed and Dub like this.
  8. Dub

Mar 19, 2017

Yup....got one a couple weeks ago. Time to get it on there.

[​IMG]

DonTejano likes this.
  9. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Just know that it will require some filing/fitting even though it is made specifically for the RO's. Take the afternoon off, bring some beer, turn a fan on, and enjoy some alone time with your blaster. :D

DonTejano and Dub like this.
  10. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    DonTejano likes this.
  11. DonTejano

Jun 13, 2020
    A quick search on Gunbroker confirmed it is indeed a few hundred bucks north of my price bracket but that's not to say I couldn't grow into one.

Thanks for the recommendation.

WC145 likes this.
  12. DonTejano

Jun 13, 2020
    @sidewaysil80 Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I'm a few hundred rounds into a Sig P320 X5 Legion, which I anticipate serving as my Open Division minor PF option. Definitely worth considering a 9mm for the Single Stack Division though.

Dub likes this.
  13. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Put a Greyguns trigger in it and keep shooting it.

Edit: forget what I said. I shot an X5 Legion today, and looking online, it looks like I shot the factory trigger. Best group I ever shot with any pistol.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Dub and DonTejano like this.
  14. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    $1200 for a Sig 1911 is a bit much, I don’t think they are worth it from the quality and fit standpoint. I would personally buy a DW online at that price point.

Or a Springfield Range Officer and put some grip tape on the front strap.

I also think S&W E-Series guns are equivalent to Sig and can be had for $850-900 online. Downside to these is a limited replacement sights selection.

No opinion on a Colt, never owned a current production one.

Keep us updated and have fun shopping around

DonTejano likes this.
  15. DonTejano

Jun 13, 2020
    @gun_fan111, thank you for the input. It's tempting to increase my budget to ~$1,500 based on what a few hundred additional dollars will buy. On the flip side, being my first 1911 it feels more prudent to go with an entry-level model, get familiar with the platform, and learn to appreciate the finer qualities.

Update to follow!

gun_fan111 likes this.
  16. DonTejano

Jun 13, 2020
    Sounds like somebody is a fan of the X5 Legion. At the very least the results it produced. Well done, @fieldgrade.

Dub likes this.
  17. Dub

Mar 19, 2017
    Dry fired one in store.....factory trigger on that had my attention right away. Nice heft to the gun, too. It's one of only two polymer guns that I'd be interested in.

DonTejano likes this.
  18. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    I think the polymer frame is literally infused with titanium, or some other metal heavier than plastic.

19. Dub

Mar 19, 2017
    Now that is some outside the box thinking on their part.

The desirable weight of metal, yet the recoil snuffing properties of polymer. Cool stuff.

DonTejano likes this.
  20. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    It is a boat anchor for sure, but I outshot myself just with the factory iron sight setup, against my newly outfitted M&P 2.0 9 Performance Center with green dot optic, and flat faced Apex FSS trigger, which (till now) had been the best striker trigger I had shot or handled.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted