First 1911, new or used

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Lennyo3034, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Lennyo3034

Lennyo3034 New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    I'm looking to pick up my first 1911. Purpose would be more for a range toy that's more accurate than my other guns.

I had my heart set on a new gun, but the its a tough market for buyers right now. There are some nice guns in the marketplace, would that be a reasonable alternative? Looking at an STI lawman at the moment.

Series70 likes this.
  2. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    I would look at the classified here. Have been some awesome deals. You better be quick! The deals don't last long.

3. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Yeah somebody had just posted an STI something or another didn’t look like a bad deal either.

simonp likes this.
  4. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Welcome from Lockhart, Texas.

IMG_20200730_070013.jpg

BRupar, 1911 crazed and gps man like this.
  5. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Quite a few of mine were used when i got them. I look for life time warranted guns when buying used. Just in case there is a reason why they got rid of them.

AGENT P, Dub and gps man like this.
  6. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Search for a Dan Wesson, great gun and it can be had in the 1,200 range, plus re-sale is amazing. Welcome ;)

7. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    There is nothing wrong w/ a used gun. I have bought several used-1911s in God's Caliber over the last couple years from Gunbroker and here. Have not had a problem w/ any of them, and have gotten some superb deals. Just make sure the seller is reputable.

jaypopsti, Bluegrass and Lineman1982 like this.
  8. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Dub likes this.
  9. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Welcome to the wonderful rabbit hole of 1911's!!

I like how you worded your post. It's as if you already know that you will be buying more than one.:)

Dub likes this.
  10. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Forum classifieds are where you'll find LOTS of solid guns for less than retail. Like others have said, I've picked up many solid values from other forum members and couldn't be happier. Just do some due diligence with the seller and you'll be fine.

11. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    What are your other guns? I have two 1911s that are pretty dang accurate, but it's a CZ Shadow 2 that I shoot the most accurately.

AGENT P likes this.
  12. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Welcome from Louisiana. I would look around on the forums as stated. Lots of guns for sale, and these people take care of their guns. Feedgate.jpg

13. Eddie D

Eddie D Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2020
    I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with a few members here and will say most everyone here offers very clean, well taken care of firearms. Some may be new, some shot but you will get accurate info to base your decision on.

AGENT P likes this.
  14. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Welcome aboard
    Dan Wesson is a nicer pistol usually than STI , one mans opinion! You know what that's worth!

1911 crazed likes this.
  15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Over 90% of my guns were preowned when I bought them. No regrets.

How else are you going to get a vintage 1911?

16. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I prefer Buying nice used 1911’s vs. brand new. You’ll save hundreds if not thousands of dollars depending on you budget. I’ve got both STI’s and Dan Wesson”s and I would say with the exception of “ease of resale” they’re equal. DW gets the nod on “ease of resale” but that means you should be able to pick up a used STI cheaper. Welcome to the Addiction.

switchback likes this.
  17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    I'm a buy once-cry once kind of guy. So no matter which way you go, I say get the one you REALLY want.

Fred_G likes this.
  18. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Used is the way to go 95% of the time. IMO

switchback and 1911 dawg like this.
  19. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Welcome to the forum, just look in our classifies there are many great deals on new and used firearms.

I picked this one up there myself

[​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted