Dan Wesson First 8 mags

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by John Deere, Mar 14, 2019.

1. John Deere

John Deere Active Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Got a chance to shoot the new Dan Wesson ECO. Been having trouble lately and thought red dot was going to be the only answer. See I am bad farsighted 20/200 vision. Correction makes sights almost useless. Bifocals are only worse. I took a chance after reading some and used non corrected shooting glasses. What a difference being able to see the sights. This is 56 shots from 50 ft in under 2 minutes. 45 in the X and 11 in the 10. gun 1.PNG . I know it is not great but it is a lot better than I have been doing lately. Oh yea the gun held up it's end with flying colors.

Otherside, gaijin, gps man and 12 others like this.
  2. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I'd say it's pretty darn good shootin' ! Congrats !

John Deere likes this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I need a solution myself. I have what amounts to trifocals and if I tip my head way up I can actually get a clear sight picture. I'm thinking about asking the optometrist about making up a pair just for shooting. I'd say your shooting is great! I am glad the Dan Wesson performed, they really are well built guns.

william adams and John Deere like this.
  4. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Nice shooting there JD.
    I had a pair of Wiley X Amber safety glasses made with my optometrist script done in the progressive lenses with my reading power of 2.50 done.
    FYI: Wiley X makes the prescription in house and guarantees the lenses.
    I used (FramesDirect.com) on the interweb for the purchase.
    They work fantastic for sight picture.

5. John Deere

John Deere Active Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Old Sea Dragon I have seen where there are companies making the bifocal in the top where you can keep your head down. Maybe someone will chime in on how those work. My understanding is that a clear sight picture and a less than perfect target will return better results. I think I proved this to myself. I think I am going to try as much correction as I can stand with the sights still clear. Guessing I will end up with 20/60 which might be alright a pistol ranges. All Rifles have optics so no problem there.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  6. John Deere

John Deere Active Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Capthobo I will look into those. Just haven't read much good about having to move head around to get sight picture. May just be an issue with non purpose built designs. I am sure open to suggestions. I think the right glasses is a better investment than pistol optics. I learned this lesson last Saturday first hand. I have a new to me S&W performance center long slide ported M&P that I put a Vortex Venom on. It has been in the safe for 3 months or so and I took it out checked the dot before the range trip. Got to the range and no dot. Changed battery when I got home and dot is back. So it died the first time I needed it. Did have supressor sights so was still able to shoot a few rounds but not what I was wanting to do.

7. Les White

Les White Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2015
    I shoot right handed but am left eye dominant so I am already cocking my head at a strange angle. I was able to have the progressive bifocal area widened a slight amount for a better (not perfect) sight picture.
    My only concern with having shooting glasses is what happens if I have on my regular glasses and have to use the sights in a "serious" situation.

John Deere likes this.
  8. 8Ring

8Ring New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    I was using line-less bifocals for several years after I had my cataract surgery in 2016. These made me tilt my head back in order to look through the lower part of the lens to see the front sight clearly. After my eye exam last month, the optician suggested I get a new lens for my dominant eye that has the "close-focus" part at the top of the lens. I tried them at an indoor .22 steel challenge last week and they were a big improvement and let me hold my head and shoulders in a much more natural shooting position. I look forward to using these in outdoor matches once the snow melts around here. PM me if you want more details. Chris

John Deere and william adams like this.
  9. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Vision challenges do present shooting issues. I've struggled since moving into progressives nearly 20 years ago. Glad some of you have found decent solutions.

John Deere likes this.
  10. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Excellent shooting and pistol! Glad you were able to figure out a solution with your shooting.

John Deere likes this.
  11. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I’d call that excellent shooting!
    Congratulations on finding a solution.

John Deere likes this.
  12. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Looks like pretty good shooting to me!

John Deere likes this.
  13. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Nice Shooting don't sell yourself short.

John Deere likes this.
  14. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I shoot the same as this. Right hand gun and left eye dominance.
    I wear the same prescription in all my glasses with progressive lenses.
    I will say that the Wiley X safety lenses with prescription, although curved to protect the total eye provides the best peripheral vision I’ve ever worn. And their sunglasses provide the same because I have both.
    As for clear sight view or distance picture all you need to do is slightly raise or lower your head to get both pictures. This can only be accomplished with good quality progressive lenses.
    Crizal lenses are the best I’ve found in clear lenses and the Wiley X brand are by far the best I’ve looked thru in sun and safety lenses. I’m actually going to contact Wiley X via phone to find out if they will fabricate me a clear set of glasses due to the fact that I get more peripheral clarity out of the way they grind a lens. YMMV

John Deere likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted