1911 Firearm Addicts banner

First Build - novice questions

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bamashooter 
#1 ·
Hello. Been lurking reading the forum for a while. I have decided to build my first 1911 via an 80% build from 1911 Builders. A small investment to learn, have some fun, and take pride in building something I can use.

My question is when do I apply bluing or polish the SS? Is it after I complete the build and fitted everything together or after I drill and mill but before I fit?

Also any suggestions and tips from those who have gone this route would be very welcomed!

#7 ·
Finish work should be completed after you test fire it and no other work is needed to be done.

You can't blue stainless steel BTW.
No disrespect. Why do I see the "can't blue stainless" in these forums? My neighbor has the salts (more expensive) and separate tanks for stainless bluing. He's done it for years. The odd thing is for several years he was led to believe the salts had a very short shelf life. Recently he talked with the manufacturer / distributor about something and found out during the course of the conversation the salts for stainless had the same shelf life or near shelf life of the salts used for conventional bluing.

#6 ·
Read and reread about what you are going to do. Go slow and check often. Hard to put metal back on after removing it. It is a project that you want to be proud of. It will be if you do it right. Good luck and keep us posted with pics as you proceed. :)

#8 · (Edited)
While both processes are considered a "black oxide" I bet you will have a hard time finding too many smiths or shops that are "bluing" stainless guns. As you state, the formulas are different, and so are the colors they produce.

Got any pics of a blued stainless gun? I've seen blackened stainless guns but never a rich blue color.

#10 ·
No pics. I'll check with him but highly doubtful. Never seen him take photos of anything. He's done none I'm aware of in a year or so. I would raise the issue with him now and then over the past few years and he'd get mildly pissed. He'd point to his stainless only tanks and the container of salts and tell me "those folks don't know what they're talking about; been doing this for over 30 years", blah, blah, blah. One day he pointed at an old model 70 (pre 64) he'd completely refurbished, wood and all. Beautiful. "There's your blued stainless right there". It was blue alright. Said they originally coated the stainless barrels with something and then blued the "something". He kindly informed me (he can get a bit of an attitude) that the barrel he had refinished was blued stainless without the oxide or whatever he was referring too. I honestly don't know if those had stainless barrels or other steel. He does beautiful work on older guns, especially rifles and shotguns. Just don't let him near a 1911.:roll:

#12 ·
There has been a chem Oxynate 84 that will provide a "blue finish" on stainless steel. It is actually a black oxide finish. It does look more black than a traditional blue. Looks great when a desired black matte finish is desired.

I believe this chem has been around since about 2003, 1st time I heard about it.

#14 ·
I admire your journey but having such a simple question about the bluing tells me your not ready to build a SAFE 1911. Do you know the sear/ disconnect or angles? Or the proper barrel lug engagement?

Despite some companies statements a 1911 is not an AR15 that can be put together from random parts which are not properly fit. It could be but I would not feel safe shooting it.

#16 ·
No biggie. My neighbor did tell me, as ya'll stated, that by far "blued" stainless is black and some even a grayish color. And I found out he uses /used the same "salts" (maybe they're the only ones?) that the guy in that link uses (Du-Lite 3-0). he also has blended salts before (anarchist?) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.