1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a couple of month wait, the majority of my parts and slide\frame are finally gathered to start my first build ever. Apparently I can drop-in all these parts and have a nicely functioning 1911. :)

The slide and frame are from JEM Guns, and the parts are primarily Harrison Design. Barrel is a Kart. Yes, high end stuff for an amateur I guess, but I am going to go reeeaaaally slow and try to do my best.

Thought I would do a little documenting here for any other newbies that may want to give hand-fitting a try, and point out any problem areas I run into that might be helpful.

My primary source of info to get this done is The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide by Kuleck and Oldham and the Kunhausen shop manuals. And of course Youtube videos.

Wish me luck!

IMG_20200213_130849.jpg

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Subscribed!

·
The Tinker
3,340 Posts
Luck! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love to follow along!
Details? Caliber? Ramped barrel? If so, what cut? Gunsmith fit barrel, EZ Fit, or drop in? Working totally by hand or do you have machines?
.45 is the only 1911 caliber! (Did I say that out loud?) :)

Yes, the barrel is a Kart gunsmith fit barrel and bushing, Nowlin\Wilson ramped. Already fit the bushing to the barrel, it was very close and only took some 600 grit to get it solid. I'll revisit it when I do the rest of the barrel fitting.

I wasn't ready to tackle checkering just yet, so I had JEM do the 25 lpi checkering.

No machines, just some files, sandpaper, and lapping compound. All old skool. :)

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Creature is ................. watching. (H.P. ref.)

Maybe I'll try this some day. :oops:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I started about this time last year, to build a Government model 1911 45 acp. I bought all the parts, not cheap stuff, all of the tooling, fixtures,books, I was going along pretty good ,made a couple of mistakes, one small , fixable one big an oh-**** moment, I got kind of discouraged, an set things aside for a bit. bought my first hobbie grade rc car an then five more an the gun-ish is still setting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So fibbed a little when I said no tools, of course I have your standard hand tools and a drill press. Chucked the bushing up to my drill and worked on the OD of the bushing, and got it to where I can just remove it with my fingers.

IMG_20200214_182649.jpg

So a question I guess I should know the answer too... I am planning on having this finished in DLC, should I take fit a skosh further than I want, or will the DLC have no impact on fit?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
You better wait until you here from somebody that knows more than me but I like to have to put a wrench on my bushing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going for something between a Baer and a Colt, so I think I've got it where I want it. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes... The only person you have to satisfy is yourself

We’re not judging :D
Ha, it's a good thing too, because I may be the only one it pleases! :)

Got the frame to slide fit done, and really happy with that. Didn't have to do much fitting, mostly just lapping it in. Thanks to JEMS guns for that I guess!

Speaking of judging, I'm working on the grip safety and I had the Ed Brown gunsmith safety. A ton of material to remove, and I'm working on blending the bottom right now. I'll post up a pic when done. Judge gently. :eek:.o:

·
The Tinker
3,340 Posts
Ha, it's a good thing too, because I may be the only one it pleases! :)

Got the frame to slide fit done, and really happy with that. Didn't have to do much fitting, mostly just lapping it in. Thanks to JEMS guns for that I guess!

Speaking of judging, I'm working on the grip safety and I had the Ed Brown gunsmith safety. A ton of material to remove, and I'm working on blending the bottom right now. I'll post up a pic when done. Judge gently. :eek:.o:
I have a 80% Jem frame and GS sitting on my bench. Waiting on a Jem slide and KKM barrel before I can get started. I've re-cut welded up frames before, but this will be my first 80% 1911. It could turn out good, or...not. We'll see. ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 80% Jem frame and GS sitting on my bench. Waiting on a Jem slide and KKM barrel before I can get started. I've re-cut welded up frames before, but this will be my first 80% 1911. It could turn out good, or...not. We'll see. ;)
I have an 80% 1911Builders frame and a KKM barrel (and a bunch of parts) waiting on a JEM bald slide. I, too, hope to start this build (9mm Government with stainless small parts) soon.

Reactions: wrmiller
1 - 20 of 74 Posts