First COVID, now counterfeit mag loaders

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by jmr986, Aug 9, 2020.

1. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I’ve been using my maglula for almost 2 to 3 years now. When I went to use it to load my Atlas mags the mag would get stuck in the loader. The opening was the same size as my Sig double stacks, but they had some play. Not the end of the world but those “fancy” double stack mags are finicky at times and very expensive.

Was going to dremel them out a bit but decided to contact Maglula. They asked for pics. Contacted me to inform me I had a counterfeit loader. They recommended buying from Midway or Brownells, which I just did. If I recall I bought mine from Amazon.

Is nothing sacred? Anyone else get scammed?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    xerts1191, rmac, Babboonbobo and 5 others like this.
  2. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Amazon and Ebay are both loaded with counterfeit products. There should be more pressure on them to fix that.

You could search your orders on Amazon and report the product as counterfeit.

Uncle Bob, FWoo45, jmr986 and 2 others like this.

3. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I bought a Rembrandt on E-bay turned out to be fake, now I trust no one.

A45GUNNER, Fred_G, xerts1191 and 14 others like this.
  4. villdetwink

villdetwink ...Terminal Addict Supporting Addict

May 1, 2019
    Those have been on Amazon for years, same goes for counterfeit RMR's...
    I believe Maglula actually sued Amazon to get them to do something about the counterfeits. Pretty sure you can no longer find them on Amazon.

5. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Amazon has an abundance of fake products; next up are Rolex’s for $500.00.

xerts1191, Kip, FWoo45 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mainspring

Mainspring Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 1, 2014
    My wife sells Rolex watches. A scary amount of them brought in for repair are fake or have non Rolex parts. If you buy one of them on eBay you are a brave or foolish person.

A45GUNNER, Babboonbobo and HooDoo Man like this.
  7. rhjeepdriver

rhjeepdriver Survivor

Nov 12, 2018
    Been telling people for several years that there is a lot of counterfeit items on Amazon and Ebay. Some Ebay sellers drop ship from Amazon. I've also been witness to items ordered from Amazon being shipped from Walmart. Always purchase from the authorized resellers.

HooDoo Man and Mainspring like this.
  8. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    If I remember correctly Magula warns about fakes on there web site. I buy mine (several) from Greg Cote LLC. The best source for magazines and accessories. Check him out on the site. Been doing business with him for years. Great C/S also.

switchback, rmac, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    If it's Maglula, check to see if it says "Made in Israel" on it. I've owned mine for nearly a decade now. I would be curious to see where the fakes are made.

Z

HooDoo Man, rmac and FWoo45 like this.
  10. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Ah, China

11. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Absolutely correct. Made in Israel. Side note: got a Holosun 407 off Amazon. Didn't work right. Fake. But they did refund my $$$.

FWoo45 likes this.
  12. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    yes I’ve bought some CZ TSO mags from him.

HooDoo Man likes this.
  13. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Z here’s a pic of mine. I sent them pics of all sides and still had the instructions which I sent a photo of. It works, so I may dremel the imposter to fit my mags.
    FC7CC444-DA6A-4D38-B443-AD725F6DA936.jpeg

rmac, FWoo45 and ZoidMeister like this.
  14. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Looks like the real deal. Take some photos of the fit of the springs. Mine is in the office, I'll get you photos of it in the AM, but yours looks like it might be the real deal. Let's see the back and sides as well

How did they determine it was a fake? Just because of where you purchased it?

FWoo45 likes this.
  15. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Ah yes, my fellow gun nuts, uh enthusiasts, are so smart. I did as you suggested and found my original order. Bought November 2016 on Amazon from Global Case for $22.09 (should have been a hint). Sent the info to Maglula.

Z I did ask Maglula what they saw to indicate it was phony. I’ll let you know when I hear back.

16. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    WASN’T SURE WHERE I PURCHASED WHEN I CONTACTED THEM.

ok the pic below is the Atlas mag. It binds around the lip, sticks, and the mag has to be pulled out.
    ACEADD5A-D1C4-4DC3-A970-B90A93360D3A.jpeg AC25F9F8-2011-4456-9D4E-6AA70BA30321.jpeg

Above is Sig Sauer P226 double stack. Note the gaps. No binding and slides right out with no resistance. Third world problems, eh?

17. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    The Med device company I work for has a branded product called Bookwalter. We own the name, patents, production, etc... I check Amazon and Ali Baba weekly to check for fakes then send them to my legal counsel to send C&D. So many are Indian and Chinese companies who just throw crap out there and hospital purchasing folks buy them to save a buck. So, if you think a fake mag loader is bad, wait till a retractor blade snaps during a procedure and the surgeon is rooting around in your gut to remove a chunk of metal. All to save a couple thousand dollars.

rmac, Babboonbobo, Kip and 2 others like this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    As noted Brownells or Midway. They do cover customer satisfaction

19. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    As promised, here are photos of the loader I bought years ago. I don't own the same double stack guns that you do, but I haven't had any issues with using this one with double stack magazines. Actually, I bought it to make loading double stacks easier.

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

20. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

What's interesting about that Atlas magazine is that it looks as though it might have "hybrid feed lips."

I have a couple of Checkmate single stack .45 ACP magazines and just ran a test with those. I can see where the modified feed lips might want to get caught in the loaders ramp towards the front. That still doesn't explain why Maglula determined yours to be counterfeit. It must have something to do with the instructions / paperwork.

Looks legit to me.

Z

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted