First Custom Build

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Bully, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    F30F1F2F-4FD4-4A7F-9CE0-466EC7FCBB0A.jpeg B5F0A7BD-4C51-4B6F-A1E4-C2665C020592.jpeg I have had this pile of parts for quite a while.
    I thought I was going to build it myself. I never did. I fussed with it on and off over the years but have finally decided to send it to a professional and get it done. It's been floating around too long.
    I have:
    Foster frame with integral plunger cut for Commander
    Commander slide in 45
    A bunch of small parts that may or may not change as the build moves forward

First up, the slide is for sale (it's in the classifieds) as I have decided to switch to 9mm for a variety of reasons. I have a slide on order with Caspian and it will be sent to the 'smith directly when it's ready. It is configured almost exactly like the one pictured except it will be a round top, not a flat top.

My plan for the 'smith:
    Fit the frame and slide. If there is a touch of looseness I'm ok with it as I did the initial fit on the original frame/slide and am ok with some "rattle" as in my mind it will aid in reliability.
    Fit a ramped bull barrel. The frame will need to be cut for a ramped barrel and I am waiting to hear from the 'smith to see if he does the work or if I should look to send it to someone else. I have someone in mind but we'll see what he says. Additionally the barrel is to be flush cut and crowned. I know that the crown does not contribute to accuracy but it looks so good.
    Square trigger.
    Novak sights, probably fiber optic front and a U-notch rear but that is completely subject to change.
    Stan Chen Genii magwell.
    15lpi checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing.
    Undercut trigger guard.
    Concealed carry grip safety. If he can use the one included, great. If not, so be it.
    King's Commander hammer. It's just cool.

Some may be wondering what 'smith I am going to use. Well... this should be the give away...
    Flames engraved on the muzzle.
    Polished flames/bead blasted slide. Sniper grey (or another grey) frame.

David Clevinger will be 'smithing it.

Comments, criticisms, question, and so forth are most welcome. I don't take it personally. It's the internet.

2. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    Taking the first step and getting started is the hurdle - sounds like a good list - looking forward to seeing the finished product!

KS95B40 likes this.

3. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Approximately how long will the project take?

Is the frame a Caspian?

Hope it comes out the way you envision it!

4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Let me go get some popcorn... :D

EDIT: :popcorn:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
  6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Stan Chen magwells are awesome! I love mine.

20181222_091811.jpg

7. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Those grips are awesome...

OneEyedTanker and B81 like this.
  8. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Frame is a Foster. Division of Caspian.
    Build will take a while. Possibly up to 2 years. I know that sounds like a long time, however I'm going to be waiting 2 months just for the slide, so with all the back log 2 years doesn't sound un-reasonable to me. If he can do it faster, he will.
    And I, like you, hope it comes out like I envision it as well. From what I've seen of his work, I'm not TOO worried. :cool2:

9. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Following along...

Topher likes this.
  10. jim merlock

jim merlock Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Your project will certainly look good! IMO You should be looking at a solid slide to frame fit, it adds to reliability, accuracy and longevity (I'm assuming you will shoot the hell out of it). Excellent crisp trigger pull 4lb.area, Good barrel and bushing fit as well as tight barrel lockup and fit. Look at it this way-- If You are building a beautiful Mustang or Camaro, you want that drive train to be built with tight tolerences and precision, to run smooth handle as well as it looks. Its the whole package. Great luck with your build. Jim

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  11. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Going with a bull barrel, no bushing.
    As for the slide/frame fit, that's on me and David knows as much. I'm comfortable with the amount of movement in the fit up.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  12. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Does David have a two year backlog now? I know he's gotten much better known and more popular in the last couple of years but when we first discussed the Roadster build he was talking 6 months give or take, that was less than three years ago. That gun ended up taking two years but it wasn't due to his work load, it was extenuating circumstances - things got kind of derailed when he broke his hand and getting the frame hard chromed was an issue all it's own. Hopefully your gun won't take as long.

Topher and wcanterbury like this.
  13. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    BTW, the slide you have would be great for engraving, without any cuts in the front there's a lot of extra real estate to work with.

14. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of Clevinger projects. I do love his work!

15. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Well, if we're showing off David's work, count me in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what it looked like when I sent it to him-
    [​IMG]

16. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    I read your thread front to back. I read about his hand and the hard chrome.

If it takes two years, which is what he estimated, that's fine. If it's faster, that's better.

I'm in the mad scramble to make sure what I'm doing is what I want. I think the switch to 9mm is smart, for me. That should cover it.

Thanks again.

17. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    WOW

18. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    That's cool. I'm happy for David that his business has picked up so much. And, I'm glad I got in early! David's work is top notch, I'm looking forward to seeing how your gun comes out.

OneEyedTanker and Colorado Sonny like this.
  19. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Actually, I don’t think two years is too long of a wait for something that you really want, especially being built to your specifications.

Of course, since I am on the verge of turning 65... as fast as time seems to be flying by, two years will seem like next week...

20. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Precisely how I feel... On both points. You have me by some years. But I feel like I'll be there in a week or two.
    I'm 3 deep in Old Fashion's... gotta get off the computer before I join the "Impulse Buy" thread.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted