First day out with the new Springer.....

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Fire-Medic, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    So just to contribute some, when I got off shift today I hit the outdoor range on the way home. Not an extended trip by any means, I only took (25) rounds to test my reloads before loading up a bulk amount to have on hand. This was my first time loading lead in 45 ACP, and my first experience loading the semi wad cutter style projectile. Today was just more for testing and function of the loads and the pistol.

The loads functioned perfect, no jams, brass was ejecting hard and 2-3 lanes over to my right, and they were accurate. It's a 200gr Missouri Bullet LSWC (BHN 18) over 6.3gr WSF, WLP primers, mixed once fired brass, and an OAL of 1.250. I was shooting at 15 yards standing off hand, two handed hold, at a pace of about a shot every 1-3 seconds. I had a few fliers at first, been 2 years plus since I have shot anything that wasn't 9mm, and the same amount of time since last shooting my 1911, I flinched for a few rounds expecting the recoil to be much more than it was.

This gun feels so much better to me than I remember my old TRP being that I had 2 years ago, don't know if it's the added weight of the rail or what, but I like it, what a great shooter. The rear sight is nice and rounded, and the gun doesn't have any sharp edges that bother. The checkering on the front strap keeps the gun put in your hands, and it did not bother me either. This gun is tight, much tighter than any of my previously owned 1911's I remember. Was a short trip but good, I will be looking to change my sight setup though, because I am not crazy about the sight picture under the overhang, I have always preferred the gold bead front sight and black rear myself, but we will see.

Don't know what else to say, besides how happy I am with the pistol and I can't wait to get it out this week and put a good amount of rounds through it.

Here's a couple of pics:

mail_2.jpg

mail.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Glad you got a chance to shoot it. When you load up a bunch and take it out for a much longer shoot you will have a ball. Groups will tighten up as you get used to the gun.

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Those are some clean-cutting reloads! :thumb: Glad to hear it's running well so far. Looking forward to reading your further thoughts as you break it in.

Andy

4. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    Me too, just too bad it was so short lived, I just don't load a lot of ammo in the "testing" phase, as if there's an issue, then you have a boatload of bullets to pull. I like reloading, but I hate pulling bullets, lol.

5. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    I will be getting it to the range again this week once or twice, then saturday is my first IDPA match..... :biggrin1:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted