First Pistol. 1911 .22

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by n88n, Oct 24, 2011.

1. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hi Guys,

Nice forum you have here. I am starting what probably will be a very long research project to buying my first pistol. I am a shotgun guy as I almost entirely shoot Skeet with a little SC and trap mixed in. I grew up shooting my father's Ruger Mark II and we both have 22 rifles that have seen a lot of plinking. My dad and I shot a ton when I was a kid... pistol and rifle (all 22), shotguns and bow and arrow. After going away college and getting my adult life started I had not been shooting at all. I am finally settled in and at 33 my father and I are back into the swing of shooting heavily.

All that BS above I want to buy a pistol. Our gun club has a nice outside pistol range that has no strange restrictions and I live in Illinois so besides a wait for the purchase not too much to worry about in regards to a pistol restriction.

I really do not like nor have I ever liked my fathers Ruger. When I was a kid my dad bought me a 1911 style pellet gun in Stainless with black grips and ever since then I think of that gun when I think about a pistol. So now it is time to buy own.

By the way I am left handed! Also see myself shooting this thing about 100 rounds a month at the high end.

Obviously money is an issue otherwise I would just buy a nice Wilson and a conversion kit and call it quits. Like I said I shoot skeet and that ain't cheap so my first pistol needs to be cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. This is what brings me to a 22 cal. It seems like one can be had from $300 to $800 and 22s are cheap to shoot.

At this point I want to gun to function well and look cool. From looking around I see three that stand out right now and those are listed below.

Kimber - People seem to like this maker and it seems like they are on the higher of the cheap 1911s. You guys probably hate this brand because it is marketed as an awesome high end gun but I imagine any serious 1911 guy would say they are decent at best. The down side to this gun is that it is expensive in my book. At $700 bucks or so this is the absolute top that I would be spending at this time. The huge plus with this gun in my eyes is the SS version that I am totally in love with. Plus this gun seems to breakdown and be made more like a normal 1911.

GSG - Seems like a decent gun for my needs at a great price. I hate the colors and all the stupid markings on the gun about the instruction manual and other nonsense... it looks like a pellet gun. Also it seems to break down differently that real 1911s and I see that as a down side. that set screw and other stuff to take the slide off seems weird.

Sig - I guess this gun is pretty new and they just started making a 1911 22. I think the pros and cons are the same as the gsg... maybe it is the same gun as the gsg just rebranded. the color schemes are not for me.

Am I missing any real contender in the class of gun that I am looking for? Any thoughts to help me in my process?

I looked for a similar post on this subject but either I could not figure out the right way to search or I was using the wrong terms because i could not find similar threads.

thanks for your time!

Nate

2. Rob Alderman

Rob Alderman Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I recently looked into both the Sig and the Colt Gold Cup .22s for my 8 year old to start getting him familiar with the format. I carry a Colt and of course he wants to be like Dad.

Anyway, I spent time with both guns and my thoughts were this-

The sig feels more substantial. It's a heavier gun and has nice heavy wooden grips to begin with.

The Colt is much lighter and feels less solid, but has much nicer fit and finish. It was also more balanced.

Just some thoughts. I'm no expert on the subject.

Rob

3. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thanks so much for your two cents. I did not know there was a Colt in this style/caliber/price to look over. The pellet gun i had as a kid was a colt so I will definitely be looking in this gun.

Did you buy one of those two?

4. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
  5. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have been researching the .45s for fun and general interest and I came across the nighthawk guns. I was very impressed with what I saw cosmetically. I do not know much about them beyond looks but they sure look great. In a perfect world i would spend $2,000 on a .45 and buy a conversion but that is not in the cards.

So I figured I would buy a 22 plinker and then down the line I will buy the super amazing .45 that I will cherish for life.

6. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So how are those Colts? looking at them they visually look much nicer than the GSG or Sig. I would rather own a Colt over the other two as long as it functions well. I like the apparent lack of set screw by the slide lock and it has none of the stupid markings on the gun. Very nice.

7. JaPes

JaPes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    You mean this?

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-1911

I have no experience with the Colt .22lr 1911. I have no idea if it is good or not. What I do have issue with is that it's not a real Colt. Colt licensed their name to Umarex. Umarex is an airgun company. I've had negative experiences with a different Umarex "Colt" branded product. For that alone, I'd steer clear.

I hear nothing but good things about the GSG. From what I've read, the Sig .22lr 1911 is built by GSG.

8. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    You don't happen to live near Milan Il do you?

9. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I must not be near Milan because I do not recognize that town name. I live up in south Elgin and shoot at St. Charles gun club located in Elburn.

10. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks for your comment. I had seen the link but was not sure if people wanted to share their experiences this the colt. Sounds like colt made a bad move putting their name on a bad product.

Anybody else have the same problems?

11. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    What about a .22LR with a frame, (forged ?) that you can add a .45 top end to later?

12. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I am not really sure I follow. DO you have a link to an example that I can look into? One of my options was to buy a nice 45 and get the 22 conversion, but I do not have the cash for that and I want a 22 first.

It seems like you might be talking about the opposite. Are you saying there is a way to buy a .22 and get .45 slide later? That sounds interesting.

13. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Ultimately, what's your budget? If it's <$800 then you have a few possibilities.

Earlsbud is on the right track of thinking here. Get a reliable 45ACP gun, and add the 22LR upper conversion. If you look on other forums, there are owners selling used uppers for pretty decent price ~$200. The full 45 gun, I would suggest get a RIA GI or Tactical. And if you want to lessen the bullet cost, get the RIA Tactical 9mm for around $450.

RIA's offering at Bud's.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_876

Most of the 22LR 1911 are pretty dedicated 22 guns, so slapping on a 45 upper isn't going to be possible. I believe the Browning's version is about 80% the size of a true government 1911.

14. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would say my budget is < $800 and more realistically about $500.

All good information. I checked bud's and saw something that looked real appealing to eyes.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411538986

After you mentioned that brand I looked at Rock Island's website and they are advertising a 1911 22 on their site. Seems like that gun has not been released yet but it will be interesting to hear how that gun does.

15. n88n

n88n New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I bought the Sig which is basically a GSG with cooler grips. Shot about 60 rounds at the range when i picked it up and seemed great. This will be a fun little plinker for me.

16. bdejong11129

bdejong11129 New Member

Dec 4, 2011
    You couldnt pay me to own another GSG. I read all the raving reviews but I then made the mistake of buying onw thinking it would be good for my son and my wife to get time behind a pistol. It lasted abot 700 rounds before breaking the guide rod and spring. Add to that over six weeks of waiting for replacement parts just to receive only the guide rod and I was done with it.

I have a rock island that I have fed close to 5000 rounds through it of various combinations of reloads and factory and that thing eats it all with zero failures ever. Best gun I have ever had. I would get that one in 9mm and just have at it. While the 22cal is cheap, it gets really old really fast when the gunbreaks or feeds poorly. At 450 for a new rock tac you havr some money left for lots of range ammo or better yet a reloading press.

17. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted