First time build!! JEM frame

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Snakebill, May 9, 2019.

1. Snakebill

Snakebill Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2018
    custom frame from JEM guns out of Texas. Took about 6 weeks total to get here. The slide was very large apparently. When I spoke to Elliot at JEM and he asked for the slide dimensions, he thought I was measuring wrong at first. He asked me to send him the slide and it was big, even for a colt. He had to machine the frame larger than normal to fit tightly. It’s a government size, rail with one notch, square trigger guard and diamond front strap. Also a matching diamond mainspring housing and an egw made JEM high grip beavertail.
    The slide is a series 80 gold cup wich I specifically looked for because of the factory polish, adjustable sights and flat top serrated top. I removed the firing pin block because the frame is series 70 style.
    Barrel is a colt nm from a rail gun that fits super tight with a kart bushing left over from previous tinkering. I have a kart xact fit barrel I bought for this build and I might still use it, not sure.
    This pistol is for my father and the custom serial number is for his years in country during Vietnam. Once this is done he can decide if he wants any machine work on the slide like ball or high power cuts. I want to talk him into a French border, lol. After that it’s either a high polish blue on the slide and either hard chrome or bead blasted frame. Possibly also hard chrome the whole thing. Up to him.
    All the internals are from EGW who make excellent parts.
    so far it’s coming together nicely. Still needs a lot of work. Grips will either come from Altamont or custom grips r us.
    Ive messed around with my colts in the past, but this is a first build for me. Any advice is always appreciated. FYI-I already know to go slowly, lol. D8B127F7-900B-49A4-AE19-32C85B0CD283.jpeg 619A00E8-5397-4524-8655-4E3C2B9D9E35.jpeg 44CA63AB-7E66-44C3-AFB8-4F97FE4EBCCF.jpeg CB483816-6C2A-4E11-93FF-1BBB1BE34CE8.jpeg E40B3A26-ED75-4802-A712-B32824A4BC0A.jpeg A5245965-A31A-4893-9B72-367AFBAA8DF3.jpeg 7C1DD78F-E1A8-49DD-9054-9B01D9398B2F.jpeg

awp101, A45GUNNER, Hunt5877 and 13 others like this.
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    :usa:

I, whole heartily, thank you for your Service.
    And I'm liking tje start of this build.

3. Snakebill

Feb 19, 2018
    My father is the veteran, but I’ll relay the message. Thank you.

UBOATDOC, A45GUNNER and wrmiller like this.
  4. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    EGW is a 20 minute drive for me and I darken their doors whenever I need parts. George has twice given me a tour of his manufacturing floor. Very impressive and great people working there. I have used their parts exclusively for work on Colt, Springfield, and Elite Warrior frames.

I am in the end stages of finishing two builds based on JEM frames. I found that the EGW pins including the slide stop cross pin were shorter than I expected when mated to the JEM frames. I don't know if the JEM frames were a touch wider or the pins were a touch shorter. I'd be curious to know your experience in this regard.

simonp likes this.
  5. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    I see that now....read this on my phone while at the VA hospital. Seems i missed a few lines of text. You're a great man building this for your father....well done Sir

A45GUNNER likes this.
  6. Snakebill

Feb 19, 2018
    Yes, the pins are a bit short. I think you may have mentioned this to me in another thread I posted about receiving the parts for this build and the free hammer I ended up with (I insisted on paying twice and they wouldn’t have it). It is weird though. Doesn’t bother me but I do wonder why. EGW is usually oversized and I heard about JEM on this forum from custom builders raving about their quality and that their frames were all “in spec”, especially pointing out that their pin holes were all in the correct spots. Either way, I’m very happy.

7. Snakebill

Feb 19, 2018
    Thank you for your kind words. The VA here on Long Island NY in northport saved my fathers life. He already had agent orange connected type 2 diabetes and skin lupus. They then found lung cancer and thyroid cancer. The lung cancer was very early detection. So early that 10 years ago they wouldn’t have seen it yet. They removed 1/3 of his right lung and his entire thyroid. He’s on synthroid for the rest of his life, but over a year later all scans are clean, thank God. Hope all is well with you sir.

livinthelife, UBOATDOC and A45GUNNER like this.
  8. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Im good.......no complaints. Pass along my thanks to your Father from an old retired flying crew chief.

9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

Perhaps the fact that JEM had to machine the frame wider to accommodate your slide might have everything to do with the pins being short?

Here is a photo of my JEM / Colt build. The pins are all fine.

100_3009.JPG

cgff, Mike Hays and Snakebill like this.
  10. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Looks good, and a great reason for the project.

Snakebill likes this.
  11. Snakebill

Feb 19, 2018
    Yeah, that very we’ll be the case with the pins. By the way, your pistol came out great. I was really torn between the diamonds and the skip line checkering. If I do this again I’m definitely going with the skip line. Your beavertail fit came out great too.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

I had no idea that JEM would do a squared off trigger guard. That looks amazing with the tank tread flat trigger.

I have two more slides to build. I need to get moving on them again. The last year I haven't done much. Some days it's all I can do to get out of bed.

Snakebill likes this.
  13. Snakebill

Feb 19, 2018
    When I was looking at their selection, I think it was the standard gov, it said something about the square guard. I asked Elliot if he could do it on the tactical frame and there it is.

What slides do you have to work on? That Argentine slide is really cool.

I don’t mean to assume I understand your situation, but I do feel for you. I hurt myself at work a few years backs. I actually got into shooting because it was low impact. I had my lumbar and cervical spine fused in 3 places and I hurt a lot and to be blunt, it gets depressing. Sometimes, for me, getting back into a hobby and just the anticipation of receiving all the things you order helps get you out of a funk.
    Again, I’m not trying to assume anything about you or your situation, just sayin maybe building one of your slides might help clear your mind. Best of luck to you.

livinthelife likes this.
  14. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Pretty blaster.

Did you use EGW pins in this pistol? They look like they are since they display the same amount of protrusion that I got with my EGW pins.

FYI, I compared non-EGW pins and they turned out to be longer than the EGWs.

Most notable was the slide stop. I ended up communicating with a number of slide stop manufacturers to find out the length of the pin (from the inside of the plate to the tip of the pin) on theirs. Here's what I discovered:

• EGW: .825"
    • Cylinder & Slide: .859"
    • Ed Brown: .865"
    • Greider: .851"
    • Wilson: .843"
    • Nighthawk: .845"
    • Harrison: .846"

I was concerned that the EGW slide stop pin was not making contact along the full length of the walls of the hole on the right side of the frame so I used the EB instead. The slide stop takes a beating and I wanted to make sure it had as much support as possible with the frame.

I have two JEM frames from 2016. One is a standard Government while the other is an extended frame that I used to make a 6" long slide. Both showed the same amount of pin protrusion on the right side of the frames.

15. Snakebill

Feb 19, 2018
    Update: 5/13. I’m making progress but going slower than I thought. Kids, Mother’s Day etc, lol. I’m having a very hard time with the ejector. I’ve noticed the much better machining quality on newer colts and this slide is probably 20-30years old. The channels cut for the ejector path are warped and not cut completely square. I’m trying to straighten them out. I’m almost there but not yet. After this it should go smoothly though. Mostly blending. I’m going to test fire it with the colt barrel and make the decision then as to the kart barrel.

16. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've found that older guns do not have the metallurgy, heat treat, nor machining that modern guns have.

This doesn't mean I don't appreciate a nice series 70 GC/NM though (one of my faves). :)

hks1911 and Snakebill like this.
  17. Snakebill

Feb 19, 2018
  18. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I like your diamond front strap.
    I tried to order a CCO size frame from JEM with it and the MsH. They haven't programed for the short frame so I had to change it or wait. I went for the 15LPI instead. just to keep the ball rolling. Supposedly it was to be done today. That hasn't been verified as of yet.
    I did get my commander frame with the skip line a couple weeks ago and have been waiting patiently for the slide. Its suppose to be here Fri. Since this is my second JEM frame I must say, things are going smoother this time. Lessons learned..... for sure.
    IMG_2566 (2).jpg

19. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Got a email from Jem today that said frame orders are 4-6 weeks turnaround, and no slides at this time. They must be busy.

TheCollector likes this.
  20. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Yep.... about what my last two took/is taking. Also the reason I went with Caspian slides.

wrmiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted