first time gun owner range day: STI trojan

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by pandaman25, Feb 19, 2019.

1. pandaman25

pandaman25 Active Member

Jan 30, 2019
    I've shot plenty of times before but never actually owned a gun until now. Picked up a basically like new sti trojan 9mm (that has a trigger job done) from.another member here who was the best private sale ive ever experienced.
    Shot a bunch of sellier & bellot 124 grain with a couple buddies. Let me just say I freaking love this gun!! I'm completely hooked. trigger feels so good, there is no slop what so ever and is crisp as hell. happy to report that out of 500 rounds shot, i had zero jams/failures.

Some notes. It came with STI mag and the seller included a 1st gen Wilson emt with polymer feed lip. I picked up a new one from.a local shop as well. Sti mag inserts into the base and releases the best out of the 3, but it's a total pain to load with bullets, plus there is a sharp corner that I kept catching my fingers on. The older Wilson was easiest to load, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the spring being broken in vs brand new. I have on order a cmc range pro and a Tripp cobra to compare.

I have small hands and had a difficult time engaging the slide release so I ordered a Wilson extended one and said might as well get an oversized mag release while I'm at it.

While I really like how the stock wooden grips look, I felt it could have more traction so ive ordered some aggressive G-10 ones from stoner cnc in black. And some.grip tape for the front strap since it doesn't have checkering instead some weird pattern that doesnt offer much for texture.

As for shooting, I was consistently hitting slightly low and to the left. My friend who was in the other lane next to me was also having the same issue. Could it be that the floor of the range was tilted causing this or is this purely user error maybe with trigger pull? Was having so much fun with how well it shoots and how little recoil there was got carried away with rapid fire more than a handful of times, lol.

That being said, I can't wait to go again, I have more ammo arriving tomorrow.
    Already want a second pistol to compliment this one, leaning towards CZ SP-01 with a single action trigger upgrade from CGW. saw a sig p210 at the local shop that i fell in love with, but don't want to spend that much on a second gun quite yet, haha.
    20190219_141103~2.jpg
    20190219_201807_HDR.jpg

2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Welcome and congratulations! If you're right handed, low and left is an indication of shot anticipation. Ask me how I know. Sounds like you're hooked. There's no turning back now. If you live in a free state and either drink or stay up late, avoid both the classifieds here and gun broker. That or be broke all the time. ;)

3. pandaman25

pandaman25 Active Member

Jan 30, 2019
    i fall into all three i'm afraid

Gimpster, boatdoc and Kip like this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    You're screwed. In a good way.

Gimpster, razorbacker and Kip like this.
  5. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Welcome and congrats on your STI Trojan!

They are great pistols. I sure love shooting mine.

Tripp Cobra mags are my choice.

As for shooting low and left, I doubt it’s the floor.

A more likely culprit is glacial rebound and ionospheric scintillation.

At least that’s what I blame it on.

Glad you are excited! It’s a great addiction!

Gimpster, FWoo45 and pandaman25 like this.
  6. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    And... for small hands try sone G10 slim grips. They make a difference

Gimpster likes this.
  7. pandaman25

pandaman25 Active Member

Jan 30, 2019
    yeah i got some g10 slims on order already :) also want to try out larry davidson chaos pattern from sgmgrips (the xt starburst pattern looks good too)

Gimpster likes this.
  8. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    That target dude ain’t doing so well. Welcome.

Gimpster and pandaman25 like this.
  9. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    First gun and you started with a STI??? Good job, you now have high standards.

10. pandaman25

pandaman25 Active Member

Jan 30, 2019
    i knew i'd fall down the rabbit hole right away so might as well skip the stepping stones and jump right into the deep end.

gps man and FWoo45 like this.
  11. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Welcome, congrats and great piece to start your addiction with!

joerockhead and pandaman25 like this.
  12. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Wait until you shoot a 2011, then you’re really screwed.

13. pandaman25

pandaman25 Active Member

Jan 30, 2019
    you probably already knew i was eyeing one of those :grin: in particular, the edge

and les baer premier ii, dan wesson pm 9, ughhh i really am screwed.

FWoo45 likes this.
  14. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Welcome from Michigan
    [​IMG]

gps man and joerockhead like this.
  15. Excursion12

Excursion12 Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Nice looking pistol. Try some dry fire practice at home. Should help with the low left shot anticipation.

16. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    great shooting with your new toy.

you need a BIG safe I think .. spend time in our classifieds... get the safe first though

pandaman25 and Mike Meints like this.
  17. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

Truth ! :)

gps man likes this.
  18. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Purchase and read "The Perfect Pistol Shot" by Albert League if you would like to improve your shooting. This is a $16 paperback on Amazon. If you will read it for 15 minutes each night instead of looking at the classifieds here, your shooting will improve and you will save a boat load of money.:)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  19. pandaman25

pandaman25 Active Member

Jan 30, 2019
    Thanks, this will be the first book I actually read in forever, lol.

20. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Dang !! You shot the snot out o' that target !! :D

Welcome to the Gun Owner Club ;)

pandaman25 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted