1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot plenty of times before but never actually owned a gun until now. Picked up a basically like new sti trojan 9mm (that has a trigger job done) from.another member here who was the best private sale ive ever experienced.
Shot a bunch of sellier & bellot 124 grain with a couple buddies. Let me just say I freaking love this gun!! I'm completely hooked. trigger feels so good, there is no slop what so ever and is crisp as hell. happy to report that out of 500 rounds shot, i had zero jams/failures.

Some notes. It came with STI mag and the seller included a 1st gen Wilson emt with polymer feed lip. I picked up a new one from.a local shop as well. Sti mag inserts into the base and releases the best out of the 3, but it's a total pain to load with bullets, plus there is a sharp corner that I kept catching my fingers on. The older Wilson was easiest to load, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the spring being broken in vs brand new. I have on order a cmc range pro and a Tripp cobra to compare.

I have small hands and had a difficult time engaging the slide release so I ordered a Wilson extended one and said might as well get an oversized mag release while I'm at it.

While I really like how the stock wooden grips look, I felt it could have more traction so ive ordered some aggressive G-10 ones from stoner cnc in black. And some.grip tape for the front strap since it doesn't have checkering instead some weird pattern that doesnt offer much for texture.

As for shooting, I was consistently hitting slightly low and to the left. My friend who was in the other lane next to me was also having the same issue. Could it be that the floor of the range was tilted causing this or is this purely user error maybe with trigger pull? Was having so much fun with how well it shoots and how little recoil there was got carried away with rapid fire more than a handful of times, lol.

That being said, I can't wait to go again, I have more ammo arriving tomorrow.
Already want a second pistol to compliment this one, leaning towards CZ SP-01 with a single action trigger upgrade from CGW. saw a sig p210 at the local shop that i fell in love with, but don't want to spend that much on a second gun quite yet, haha.
20190219_141103~2.jpg

20190219_201807_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! If you're right handed, low and left is an indication of shot anticipation. Ask me how I know. Sounds like you're hooked. There's no turning back now. If you live in a free state and either drink or stay up late, avoid both the classifieds here and gun broker. That or be broke all the time. ;)

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your STI Trojan!

They are great pistols. I sure love shooting mine.

Tripp Cobra mags are my choice.

As for shooting low and left, I doubt it’s the floor.

A more likely culprit is glacial rebound and ionospheric scintillation.

At least that’s what I blame it on.

Glad you are excited! It’s a great addiction!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i got some g10 slims on order already :) also want to try out larry davidson chaos pattern from sgmgrips (the xt starburst pattern looks good too)

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
Welcome, congrats and great piece to start your addiction with!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you probably already knew i was eyeing one of those :grin: in particular, the edge

and les baer premier ii, dan wesson pm 9, ughhh i really am screwed.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
i fall into all three i'm afraid
great shooting with your new toy.

you need a BIG safe I think .. spend time in our classifieds... get the safe first though

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
As for shooting, I was consistently hitting slightly low and to the left. My friend who was in the other lane next to me was also having the same issue. Could it be that the floor of the range was tilted causing this or is this purely user error maybe with trigger pull?
Purchase and read "The Perfect Pistol Shot" by Albert League if you would like to improve your shooting. This is a $16 paperback on Amazon. If you will read it for 15 minutes each night instead of looking at the classifieds here, your shooting will improve and you will save a boat load of money.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Purchase and read "The Perfect Pistol Shot" by Albert League if you would like to improve your shooting. This is a $16 paperback on Amazon. If you will read it for 15 minutes each night instead of looking at the classifieds here, your shooting will improve and you will save a boat load of money.:)
Thanks, this will be the first book I actually read in forever, lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts