First Wheel Gun- Ruger SP 101......

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Fire-Medic, Jan 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    So last week I bought my first wheel gun, a Ruger SP 101 357 magnum, double action only, hammerless, with 2 1/4" barrel.

I was looking for something different, and I have been drawn to revolvers for a long time just never gone out and bought one of my own. The day I bought it I put 50 rounds of 357 magnum thought it, the recoil was not horrible but it definitely captured your attention. I think the long heavy trigger pull was really the worst of it. But overall I still really liked the gun and was more accurate with it than I expected to be.

Today I had some family in from out of town for the week, and they're from communist NJ, so they wanted to go shoot. We took the SP 101, my 1971 Belgium BHP, and my customized S&W M&P 9mm. We all had a great time, today I bought 38 special for the SP 101 to tone things down a bit for the family and the wife, and to see what it felt like with 38 special.

I LOVE this revolver with the 38 special! I didn't dislike it with 357 magnum but it was a ton of fun and VERY accurate with the 38 +p ammo. I guess I was also getting use to the trigger on it as well.

The main thing I would like to change right now is the grips, they're way too small for my hands. I feel a grip that filled my hands better would be a good upgrade. I also wouldn't mind having an XS big dot front night sight added to it, but we'll see, it's really a point and shoot pistol anyways.

All in all I really enjoyed the gun today, and now it's making me want a full size wheel gun. I would just need to decide what to get.

I bought this pistol for a smaller carry piece from time to time, and I am confident it will fit that bill well.

The SP 101 package from Mossy Creek Customs does appeal to me though.......

http://www.mossycreekcustom.com/revolvers/ruger-sp-101/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    They make a great pocket gun, but not so sure about those "39 +p.

I'd say big dot and laser.

3. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    LOL, sorry about that, was a typo, I corrected it.

I'm trying to decide on a good holster for it, thinking OWB, or AIWB.......

4. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Good stuff! That's not a bad choice at all for a first revolver, I'd say. I was like a third of the way through your post when I started thinking, "I hope he tried .38 Special loads, because those are a lot easier to shoot!" Glad to see you did. The .357 Magnum loads can have a little bite to them in guns that size. :lol:

Andy

5. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    I'm hooked. Already trying to decide on what revolver to buy next.......

6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Get a Ruger GP 100 with a 4" OR 6" barrel if you want to shoot .357 loads. They are tanks as far as strength. S&W makes several nice pistols in .357.

7. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    Been eyeballing the GP's and the Vaquero's.......

8. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I really want an SP101 too. I love wheel guns. That or a S&W M60.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted