First world problems, which high end 1911?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Trashyshoots, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Trashyshoots

Trashyshoots Active Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Edit for new readers, went with accuracy x and I'm in the process of having it built.

TL;DR at bottom.

First off, I need to warn y'all, I'm wildly eccentric and in a bit of a conundrum. Im also long winded, while also not being particularly interesting so, bear with me, here it goes.

Im in the market for my first high end 1911. I will probably never have another chance to purchase one, barring any huge bonuses from work. (One can dream right?) I had a budget of around 2.5k, so i was doing research in that price bracket.

Im an accuracy fanatic, and I shoot long distance. I do not shoot rifles, only handguns. I take my contender out past 500 yards regularly, mostly off hand, and embarrass ar guys at my local desert shooting spot. I also have been known to take a volquartsen scorpion out to 250 yards+ on regular sized propane tanks. (Trust me this is valuable info)

So even though they were double my budget, I fingered Wilson's, ed browns, and nighthawks. (Puts on flame suit, sorry gents not trying to anger anyone) they all felt like dan wessons with better attention to detail to me. The triggers, slide to frame fit, safety, mag release, everything felt like a dan wesson but twice the price of top end dws.

Then I felt a les baer. It was like the stars aligned. That frame fit, the tightness, the way the serrations on the slide felt crisp and sharp, not dull and boring, the checkering was the same, crisp and sharp. The entire gun felt like 1 piece of steel where the others didnt. Then I found out they have accuracy guarantees! And in my budget, ppht easy choice!

But I want a 1911 thats "future proof" I want a supressor eventually and love healthy muzzlebrakes for quick follow up shots, and comfort (bad elbow cant handle recoil anymore) and I want lower rails for whatever dumb idea I get. So I really want a threaded barrel, and bottom rail. After I emailed les baer, they told me dont do either. Drat,

Then my budget went up. New budget is 5k give or take a little. Which puts the previously mentioned big 3 back in my budget but truth be told im underwhelmed by them. Then I remembered cabot. "Well now that I can afford one let me research them"

I was put off by them when they first hit the market A. Because they were way too much money for me and B. Initial reports were they were more show than go. Now since 2017 they seem to have been turned around and have some bullseye trophies in their case. But I didn't like a few things about them. The huge C logo behind the serrations, the grips, the star triggers and no rails.

Then I saw the nero. Oh lawd have mercy its gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. AND I can get rails and a threaded barrel.

But do they feel like les baers or do they feel like the other big 3? Are the serrations and checkering crisp and sharp? Is the slide to frame fit like a les baer or are they more like the other 3?

Heres where I get weird. I need a frame mounted pic rail ontop for an adjustable scope base for long distance shooting or a red dot for under 100 yard shooting and dabbling in bullseye competitions(hence why I want a 45 and not a 9x25). Im sure cabot would install one for me, but if it doesnt feel crisp and tight like a baer im going to be upset, when I could've bought a monolith heavy and had money left over for a "bad ideas go here" 1911...

Any Cabot owners willing to chime in? Are they crisp and sharp and tight fitted like les baers or more like nhc, browns and wilsons? Are they as accurate as les baers?

Also considering a korth prs, but no threaded barrel....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    1911_Bandit and colrhino like this.
  2. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    GI GUNCRAFTER!!!

Roehl, july19, colrhino and 2 others like this.

3. 1911enthusist

1911enthusist Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Dan Wesson Fury Elite Series

4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Alchemy. Best of both worlds.

colrhino and retrieverman like this.
  5. Trashyshoots

Apr 3, 2020
    Have considered them, they get such a high praise here. Not sure I could order 45 when that 50GI would be staring me in the face.

Havnt heard of these. TO BING!

6. 1911enthusist

1911enthusist Active Member

Feb 7, 2019

watch

Other Contenders CZ Parrot or CZ Accushadow Series, Atlus, STI DVC Open.

retrieverman likes this.
  7. Doug Walker

Doug Walker Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
  8. Bye Felicia.

Bye Felicia. Previously RS.

Dec 21, 2017
    Accuracy X. All the accuracy and optic mounting options you’d ever want with their multi sight system. Proven at the highest levels of competition.

Or if Joe is accepting work and you’re willing to wait I’d say a chambers.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Guy Montag, Steve B, Joe C and 4 others like this.
  9. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    My reading comprehension has always been pretty good, but d*mn, I’m having trouble keeping up with what the OP is really looking for.

My initial thought was Alchemy with a $2.5k budget, but after all the add ons and increases, I’m not sure anymore.

Dub likes this.
  10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Got 4 Guncrafter's right now & I truly believe that they are as close to a full blown custom as you can get. I love my NH's & WC's but no comparison to the GI.

JD

Roehl likes this.
  11. Bye Felicia.

Bye Felicia. Previously RS.

Dec 21, 2017
  12. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    They make a 50 with the 45 conversion, that might be worth a look into.

Dwe likes this.
  13. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Baer made a railed model: Recon

You can still find them on Gunbroker new. They also show up from time to time used here.
    They did not come with a threaded barrel though... That is easily remedied with the purchase and fitment of one.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  14. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
  15. Stentor

Stentor NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 21, 2015
    Interesting that you're considering a Korth PRS (semi-auto pistol from Korth, Lollar).

It is not a 1911 pistol, is largely unproven and unavailable, and would likely cost much more than $5k (if you could actually find one).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    FWoo45 and retrieverman like this.
  16. Trashyshoots

Apr 3, 2020
    Sorry brother, I ramble.
    5k budget
    Need threaded barrel, rail, and a frame mounted scope rail for adjustable scope bases for artillery shots.

retrieverman likes this.
  17. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    #1 chambers
    #1 Les Baer Monolith hvy with 1.5 guaranty.

Dub, Dwe, soverystout and 2 others like this.
  18. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    You could buy a lot of rifle in that price range and it would shoot a lot further a lot tighter. But as you've made it quite clear you want a 1911, or maybe a Korth revolver, best of luck in you're search. Am interested in hearing what you end up with.

19. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Guncrafter, Nighthawk, Alchemy, Wilson, I don't think you will be disappointed, just make sure you buys lots of ammo and get out and shoot it.

20. Trashyshoots

Apr 3, 2020
    Thank you, I love revolvers, they're the gun that most my peers associate me with, but ive had awful awful luck with them, and love 1911s (now that ive actually given a semi a chance after being a diehard wheelyboy.)

Im not a rifle shooter. At all. Ive had precision rifles that really didnt do anything for me. Now a days I only own 2 rifles. My (wifes) AR, (because everyone needs one imo) and a 4570 Henry brass single shot, because I'm infatuated with that round.

tac45 and RS. like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted