1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

born in the wrong century
@boatdoc I have been hugely pleased with the results of the red dot on a pistol.

It takes some patience. I didn't allow for the needed patience when I first tried them a few years ago.

This time around, I didn't rush things.

I shot the gun with irons and ensured my grip, trigger press and recovery were solid. Pleased with that.

Then mounted the RMR, didn't bother to attempt to zero it....just went back to the range and shot from same 10yd distance as I'd done on the prior "irons-only" session.

Both eyes open and focused on the target throughout. This was a tremendous benefit. So much more comfortable....and efficient.

During the press out to target I did it on a slightly higher plane. As such, the red dot was visible well before my arms were fully extended to target. I simply got on target much faster.

The dot bounces slightly during recoil, but comes right back on target. Very glad that the gun was 9mm. Perfect training wheel pistol for my adopting a red dot.

I can't begin to emphasize how much more relaxing and enjoyable the sessions go by remaining target focused.
It makes a 10yd target seem much closer.

The gun I'm using is a 2011 with lowered mount height. As is...... the gun must be presented higher to acquire the red dot.....I would imagine a dovetail mounted red dot would be significantly higher, thusly requiring much more work to "find the dot" during presentation & recovery.

Please keep in mind that your results will likely come easier, faster and more natural with the lower optic positions. Don't get frustrated with a higher mount.

The higher the mount, the more work it will take on your part to normalize it.

Now.....am I rushing out to convert all my carry guns to red dot capable ?.....no sir. I am not. The things that made them great carry guns are still inherent in them.

My lone red dot 2011, however, finds me reaching for it on every range session, though. I simply prefer shooting it than any other handgun I own. Sometimes to the ire of the Range Safety Officers.......one or two of them frown on fast fire.....and that steel-framed RMR'd high-capacity 9mm wants to run super fast.

Good luck. You'll have HUGE fun with it.

Just be patient. It IS different.

Years and years of front sight focus feels reckless to abandon.....just Trust & Believe in your grip and Accept the dot actively hovering over your target when the shot breaks.

TRUST
BELIEVE
ACCEPT

I hope it proves to be an eye-opener for you....it sure was for me.

Wish I'd have done this years ago....but then again I didn't have the patience nor the time to practice.

Now I do. 馃憤

Registered
Dovetail mount is OK way to try the optic, but in my mind it is only a temporary solution that is a bit too bulky and ugly.
I would get another gun that is optic ready and shoot two side by side for a while. That way you can better compare the options. After that, if you decide that you like the dot, you can decide how to mount it in a better way.

I have one of those! Not a huge fan, great shooting on your part, but meh on the S2 OR, I am assuming you like yours?
Just wanted to say that I'm a fan of CZ S2 OR. I don't compete, but I enjoy it a lot, especially after converting to SAO and some CGW parts. 2Lb trigger is awesome for a range fun and switching to 3lb+ is super easy and fast with just a spring swap. I still can't warm up to 2011 (probably haven't found the right one yet), because of the blocky grip, but CZ fits me just right. Patiently waiting for the DWX release some day before Christmas of 2030.

Premium Member
Dovetail mount is OK way to try the optic, but in my mind it is only a temporary solution that is a bit too bulky and ugly.
I would get another gun that is optic ready and shoot two side by side for a while. That way you can better compare the options. After that, if you decide that you like the dot, you can decide how to mount it in a better way.

Just wanted to say that I'm a fan of CZ S2 OR. I don't compete, but I enjoy it a lot, especially after converting to SAO and some CGW parts. 2Lb trigger is awesome for a range fun and switching to 3lb+ is super easy and fast with just a spring swap. I still can't warm up to 2011 (probably haven't found the right one yet), because of the blocky grip, but CZ fits me just right. Patiently waiting for the DWX release some day before Christmas of 2030.
Hahaha I agree on the DWX, I am itching to get my hands on it!!

Premium Member
that is a nice rig. If the mount fits my Operator, I am looking at a holosun and that mount as my first dedicated rmr on a 1911.

thanks for the info and pics

BTW how did you mount a leupold without any slide suts.

I have shot a leupold deltapoint recently (on a glock 19 that a fellow range member was shooting) it is a really cool sight and idea
Staccato slides are cut so you don't need a plate to mount the Leupold, and any other RMR style Red Dot, I think that's right. The P DPO needed a plate to mount the HOLSUN on the slide. The first two are of the Staccato P DPO's plate from Dawson Precision, 2nd. shows the C2 DPO with the Leupold, you can see how the mounting holes are the same footprint as the Leupold.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Wood
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Rim Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Floor Flooring Bumper

Reactions: boatdoc

Registered
I have two NC's with the IOS cuts and will likely send a third back for the cut.I really think the ability to use standard height sights,low mount, and convert-ability back to irons is the only way to go. My opinion.
@Genes 1911
Been wanting to see in one of my NH鈥檚 for an iOS cut 鈥 mind me asking what the turnarousb

Registered
I did not ask how long the turnaround would be. I was concerned about DLC on the 1911 and refinish. The expense was not discussed either. I'll trust NC to treat me fairly.

Registered
@Genes 1911
Been wanting to see in one of my NH鈥檚 for an iOS cut 鈥 mind me asking what the turnarousb
I recently asked and was told 3-4 months depending on the finish I chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: boatdoc and Jon M.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
@boatdoc I have been hugely pleased with the results of the red dot on a pistol.

It takes some patience. I didn't allow for the needed patience when I first tried them a few years ago.

This time around, I didn't rush things.

I shot the gun with irons and ensured my grip, trigger press and recovery were solid. Pleased with that.

Then mounted the RMR, didn't bother to attempt to zero it....just went back to the range and shot from same 10yd distance as I'd done on the prior "irons-only" session.

Both eyes open and focused on the target throughout. This was a tremendous benefit. So much more comfortable....and efficient.

During the press out to target I did it on a slightly higher plane. As such, the red dot was visible well before my arms were fully extended to target. I simply got on target much faster.

The dot bounces slightly during recoil, but comes right back on target. Very glad that the gun was 9mm. Perfect training wheel pistol for my adopting a red dot.

I can't begin to emphasize how much more relaxing and enjoyable the sessions go by remaining target focused.
It makes a 10yd target seem much closer.

The gun I'm using is a 2011 with lowered mount height. As is...... the gun must be presented higher to acquire the red dot.....I would imagine a dovetail mounted red dot would be significantly higher, thusly requiring much more work to "find the dot" during presentation & recovery.

Please keep in mind that your results will likely come easier, faster and more natural with the lower optic positions. Don't get frustrated with a higher mount.

The higher the mount, the more work it will take on your part to normalize it.

Now.....am I rushing out to convert all my carry guns to red dot capable ?.....no sir. I am not. The things that made them great carry guns are still inherent in them.

My lone red dot 2011, however, finds me reaching for it on every range session, though. I simply prefer shooting it than any other handgun I own. Sometimes to the ire of the Range Safety Officers.......one or two of them frown on fast fire.....and that steel-framed RMR'd high-capacity 9mm wants to run super fast.

Good luck. You'll have HUGE fun with it.

Just be patient. It IS different.

Years and years of front sight focus feels reckless to abandon.....just Trust & Believe in your grip and Accept the dot actively hovering over your target when the shot breaks.

TRUST
BELIEVE
ACCEPT

I hope it proves to be an eye-opener for you....it sure was for me.

Wish I'd have done this years ago....but then again I didn't have the patience nor the time to practice.

Now I do. 馃憤
thanks dub. acquiring the sight is th e key to a rmr. I have used a few and I am sure ,with enough range time it will become natural..like shooting a Glock ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)

good luck with getting a dwx. LIke primers, I hunt them down almost dail;y--none around. neither is the cz shadow 2 or. believe me--that option for a non 1911 is a great one.
Stuart fro, CZ custom offered to provide an upper and they will mill it. another option

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
What is a DWX ?

I forgot.

CZ shadow 2 frame with a 1911 slide. the best of both worlds.. so far it is a unicorn. a fable. very hard to find.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: Kip and tac45

CZ shadow 2 frame with a 1911 slide. the best of both worlds.. so far it is a unicorn. a fable. very hard to find.

Yup....I was being sarcastic.

I lost interest in it well over two years ago.

Went ahead and moved on....covering my needs with an EDC X9 for carry and some 2011's for the full sized fun.

DW was already way behind well before the pandemic hit....and that piece of crap Cuomo prolonged things....way behind.

Oddly enough, though Les Baer, Wilson Combat and Nighthawk were still filling orders like crazy.....while adding staff.

DW lost key people and lost precious ground.

It's sad.

They could have changed their zip code over the years and been flourishing through pandemics, riot seasons and the additional democratic-led shenanigans.

Sad.

But yeah, boss....I was being sarcastic in the "forgot about the DWX...what is it ?" comments. Heck of a concept, though...you are right. Glad I was able to scratch the itch elsewhere.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yup....I was being sarcastic.

I lost interest in it well over two years ago.

Went ahead and moved on....covering my needs with an EDC X9 for carry and some 2011's for the full sized fun.

DW was already way behind well before the pandemic hit....and that piece of crap Cuomo prolonged things....way behind.

Oddly enough, though Les Baer, Wilson Combat and Nighthawk were still filling orders like crazy.....while adding staff.

DW lost key people and lost precious ground.

It's sad.

They could have changed their zip code over the years and been flourishing through pandemics, riot seasons and the additional democratic-led shenanigans.

Sad.

But yeah, boss....I was being sarcastic in the "forgot about the DWX...what is it ?" comments. Heck of a concept, though...you are right. Glad I was able to scratch the itch elsewhere.
I thinkt he edcx9 is a better choice @Dub . To me it is an all metal spec ops. and the spec ops was a very special WC

enjoy it

Reactions: Dub

I thinkt he edcx9 is a better choice @Dub . To me it is an all metal spec ops. and the spec ops was a very special WC

enjoy it

Thanks.

I'll say this, though.....things do seem to be picking up for DW on new pistol availability. I'm seeing guns in stock at the online dealers now.

Hope they keep the momentum rolling.

They make a damn solid 1911.

I sent in one of my 1911s for an IOS job in late May and got my gun back at the end of August.

Faster than I would have thought. 馃憤

41 - 60 of 64 Posts