1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all...

Got a question for the pro and seasoned amateur builders out there about the need to fit a not-too-often fitted part of a barrel to a slide. Now, this is not an oh-my-lord-not-another-part-fitting-whiner story, just FYI.

I started this project about three years ago and built a 9mm/38 Super commander. I originally used RemSport barrels (on a RemSport slide) to learn to fit a C/P ramp just because they were less expensive and I could practice on less expensive parts. In the last couple years, the barrels have proven really nice, but the whole plan was to swap them out with Kart barrels and finish the gun.

On this slide, with both the RemSport and now the one Kart barrel I’ve had to face back what I call the ‘shoulders’ of the chamber illustrated with the red arrows on the below picture. Without this, the barrel would never achieve upper engagement.

IMG_3503.jpg

This is the only gun I’ve had to do this on. I faced back both RemSport barrels and now the first Kart. The gun runs well, so it hasn’t affected accuracy or reliability.

How often have others had to do this?

Thanks... X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hope other top tier smiths chime in.

My experience has been similar to yours on any caliber this does not have “45” in the chambering stamp on the barrel. I am not saying all sub 45 caliber barrels will be like this. I do mark to check for it when fitting non-45 barrels

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for chiming in here, sir.

I kinda think it may be the slide dimensions rather than the barrel. I’m also thankful for the extra meat in those areas, too. After working the ‘shoulders’ I didn’t see any problems with case support.

When fitting this area, are you driving a file by hand or milling those areas with a barrel holder?

X

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its called the chamber face. Happened once years ago with a Nowlin barrel and Fusion slide. Will never use Fusion slides ever again after the experience of that plus the firing pin hole being misaligned.

It's nice once you find a good barrel that fits well into your slide of choice. Not all slides and barrels are created equally. I do like the Nowlin barrels. They are very accurate when installed correctly. I do NOT like the fact that Nowlin stopped making 4, 5 and 6 inch barrels separately. Instead, they just chop the 6" barrels down and hand "crown" the very inner edge of the barrel. It looks like crap for a $250 barrel. Add a few discount codes in when you buy them and that should pay to have it properly crowned. Anyways, yes, this can happen when a slide has less than X.315" from first lug to breechface. Look for slides in the X.318" range. FYI, KKM barrels have a X.350" hood to first lug and still will fit in a X.316" slide once the hood is fit. Why X.350" KKM???? lol

Still, if you're looking for a better overall fit, look for slides that are >X.315" 1st lug to breechface. KART is usually the way to go, but ya gotta blue em or rust happens. Nowlin is good. Nowlin cuts their upper lugs correctly and rarely need adjusting. If you want a SS barrel they're good and have a nice ramp.

·
Dremel jockey
3,867 Posts
Aftermarket slides are 'iffy'.
Especially in calibers other than 45acp.

Reactions: X39 and wrmiller

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aftermarket slides are 'iffy'.
Especially in calibers other than 45acp.
NHC, JEM....both have been good over the years for all calibers. When JEM starts making their own they will be the best I'm guessing. They try to hold to Colt tolerances pretty well. It would be nice if there were more slides to choose from. Chen should make slides. If Chen would make them they would be 100% consistent, but would probably cost $500 or more.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like a per-slide thing. My thoughts when I was working the problem always come back to a basic need to smith my way to a solve...slowly and thoughtfully.

X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
The Tinker
3,167 Posts
I've seen this on rare occasions. Of the last three I have built, it happened on one. Can't remember if it was a KKM or Remsport. All were 10mm.

Reactions: X39

·
Registered
24 Posts
It was a Colt slide. The barrel was the cause.
Thats interesting. Do you happen to have the measurement from the 1st locking lug to breechface on the slide?

My KKM barrel's chamber face was extremely close to bottoming out on the guide blocks of the slide. It was a NHC slide. The one thint I didn't like about the KKM and the NHC combo was that after the lower feet were cut, the flat was very short. I don't like barrel bump either, but would rather have a longer flat, use a #4 link or elongate the bottom hole of a #3 link to accomodate. KART barrels have always given me a long flat, lower lug after the cutting process.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This doesn’t sound like a brand thing at all, it sounds like a spec thing, and infrequent.

After hearing from Evolution Armory and Pistolwrench, and Magnumite, the circumstances are that each gun is an individual and one has to work their way to an appropriate solution based on pistol itself.

Thanks for sharing your expertise, y’all.

X

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi,
My last build was a Remsport Slide and Barrel in 45 Auto, on a Foster Frame, and the fit, was amazing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It has to do with the distance from your first locking lug groove to the guide blocks on the slide and the distance of the barrel's mating counter parts. This includes the distance from the first locking lug to the chamber face of the barrel.

Your "chamber face" on the barrel is/was hitting the guide blocks on the slide. So its technically not a "pistol thing," it's a "barrel to slide fit thing." lol

·
Chief Steward of Man Law
546 Posts
Had to do it on a Bar-Sto barrel MANY yrs ago. Been using mostly Clark and Briley barrels since then. Neither have needed much fitting in a Caspian slide.

Haven't used Kart or Remsport, but I would have thought a Remsport barrel in a Remsport slide would have had a better fit.

Reactions: X39

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had to do it on a Bar-Sto barrel MANY yrs ago. Been using mostly Clark and Briley barrels since then. Neither have needed much fitting in a Caspian slide.

Haven't used Kart or Remsport, but I would have thought a Remsport barrel in a Remsport slide would have had a better fit.
I know what you mean and expected the fit to be right on. The upper engagement was right as checked by barrel alignment gauge / center primer strikes.

I’m not bashing RemSport at all. I’ve actually used their slides in most of my builds and will continue to do so.

X

1 - 20 of 20 Posts