1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
born in the wrong century
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At 51, my eyesight ain't what it used to be....by a good margin, too.

I've tried wearing contact lenses for distance correction......just can't get with it. Truth be told, I simply can't get them in place. No patience to fool with them.

Cheater reading glasses work fine for reading.

I'm trying a pair of cheater shooting glasses....they have the corrective lens up top. You simply tilt your head down slightly and the front sight comes into focus clearly....sweat dripping down over that corrective portion makes for double vision.

Otis The Drunk from Andy Griffith Show would outshoot me when I'm wearing those glasses.....and probably also when I'm not.

Went to the range today and brought along 5 guns and ran 50 rounds through each.

4 of them were unfired prior to today....been sitting in the safe waiting for me to get back into the old routines. Even the "old gun" in the group, the .45 Valor commander, was only on it's 3rd range session. It's remained flawless since day one. I think they built this gun with some extra smoove in it. :rofl: Hopefully I'll get some of that smooveness back with my shoddy form.

There were only two problems noted. I'll mention them below.

Ammo used was:
American Eagle 230gr .45acp, Speer Lawman 115gr 9mm, Sig 180gr 10mm

First gun was a .45 Valor commander.

Ran a mag at 20 yds.

Ran 4 mags at 15 yds....trigger broke immediately after front sight came down on the orange dot. This gun runs like it's got a big V-8 under the hood...only thing it needs is for me to fix the vision shortcomings and the grouping will tighten up. Buttery smooth cycling.

Next up was a 9mm Valor commander.

This mag ran at 15 yards.

Out of the 5 guns I shot today....this 'un should become the most accurate for me once I get the cobwebs knocked off my sight picture/stance/posture/grip/etc. The gun has near zero recoil, fits the had well and those grips are deceptively aggressive. They don't look the part, but as soon as you apply some hand pressure they bite in and anchor the gun in hand.

I didn't do the gun the justice that a better shooter would do. It's gonna be fun getting things dialed back in.

Next up was the little PM-C 9mm.

I tried to take my time and run these at 15yds.

The gun simply would not be held back I wants to run fast. The weight of this thing gives it really nice heft combined with the checkered frontstrap....simply has it back on plane near immediately after recoil. The bright front sight picks up the eye quick, centering swiftly and naturally in the rear ledge sight....even in my subpar squinting it is fast.

The trigger breaks clean and reset is imperceptible.

The little gun practically shoots itself on followup shots. I can't wait to get it broken in good and get acclimated to it and then run double taps.

The next two targets were run at 10 yards and run quicker than any other gun today. BAM...front sight would drop onto the orange dot...BAM...over and over. It's a crime that you have to stop and reload.

For a dude who wears size L-XL sized gloves, this little gun surprised me with it's quick recovery. It's not well balanced like the 9mm Valor commander, but as soon as you apply gip pressure it's well behaved and simply recovers like an eager retriever ready to bolt.

Next up was the Swamp Gat, a Rock Island 10mm full rail.

I ran it with new mags: 2 DW, 4 WC and 3 RIA. Nary a bobble. All ran flawlessly. There is a reason I mention the mags....more on that in just a bit.

10 yds and zero problems. It handled very well. Recoil was eased by the extra weight of the full rail + the TRL-1. This gun wanted to run fast, too.

Last up was the 10mm Razorback.

I'll be changing the front sight to a fiber optic version soon. Happy with the rear. Trigger is super, zero complaints. I'm sure I'll have better days ahead with this gun, but today it wasn't well behaved.

First shot (DW mag) failed to eject.
Fourth shot (same mag) failed to feed.

Throughout the 50rd box there were several failures to feed...or to go fully into battery. The DW & Wilson Combat mags were in use during these hiccups. Interestingly, the RIA mags had no trouble in the RZ-10.

Wasn't able to run it like it wanted to due to the multiple stoppages, however it was promising. Chalking this up to break-in bobbles and me being a rusty shooter.

So....all in all it was a quick 250 round session. I'd rather shoot outdoors, but the weather is really cruddy around here today.

1) My form is off and need some corrective lenses are needed for distance. Maybe I'll get my wife to help me one more time with the contacts before I give up on the things.

2) No worries over the Razorback. I'll keep at it for a few more range sessions and see how it goes.....keeping on using all the magazines and observing which ones are the problems show up with. It's a tight fitting gun and have lots of time to piddle with it between now and bambi season.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,992 Posts
At 51, my eyesight ain't what it used to be....by a good margin, too.

I've tried wearing contact lenses for distance correction......just can't get with it. Truth be told, I simply can't get them in place. No patience to fool with them.

Cheater reading glasses work fine for reading.

I'm trying a pair of cheater shooting glasses....they have the corrective lens up top. You simply tilt your head down slightly and the front sight comes into focus clearly....sweat dripping down over that corrective portion makes for double vision.

Otis The Drunk from Andy Griffith Show would outshoot me when I'm wearing those glasses.....and probably also when I'm not. :rofl:

Went to the range today and brought along 5 guns and ran 50 rounds through each.

4 of them were unfired prior to today....been sitting in the safe waiting for me to get back into the old routines. Even the "old gun" in the group, the .45 Valor commander, was only on it's 3rd range session. It's remained flawless since day one. I think they built this gun with some extra smoove in it. :rofl: Hopefully I'll get some of that smooveness back with my shoddy form.

There were only two problems noted. I'll mention them below.

Ammo used was:
American Eagle 230gr .45acp, Speer Lawman 115gr 9mm, Sig 180gr 10mm

First gun was a .45 Valor commander.

Ran a mag at 20 yds.

Ran 4 mags at 15 yds....trigger broke immediately after front sight came down on the orange dot. This gun runs like it's got a big V-8 under the hood...only thing it needs is for me to fix the vision shortcomings and the grouping will tighten up. Buttery smooth cycling.

Next up was a 9mm Valor commander.

This mag ran at 15 yards.

Out of the 5 guns I shot today....this 'un should become the most accurate for me once I get the cobwebs knocked off my sight picture/stance/posture/grip/etc. The gun has near zero recoil, fits the had well and those grips are deceptively aggressive. They don't look the part, but as soon as you apply some hand pressure they bite in and anchor the gun in hand.

I didn't do the gun the justice that a better shooter would do. It's gonna be fun getting things dialed back in.

Next up was the little PM-C 9mm.

I tried to take my time and run these at 15yds.

The gun simply would not be held back I wants to run fast. The weight of this thing gives it really nice heft combined with the checkered frontstrap....simply has it back on plane near immediately after recoil. The bright front sight picks up the eye quick, centering swiftly and naturally in the rear ledge sight....even in my subpar squinting it is fast.

The trigger breaks clean and reset is imperceptible.

The little gun practically shoots itself on followup shots. I can't wait to get it broken in good and get acclimated to it and then run double taps.

The next two targets were run at 10 yards and run quicker than any other gun today. BAM...front sight would drop onto the orange dot...BAM...over and over. It's a crime that you have to stop and reload.

For a dude who wears size L-XL sized gloves, this little gun surprised me with it's quick recovery. It's not well balanced like the 9mm Valor commander, but as soon as you apply gip pressure it's well behaved and simply recovers like an eager retriever ready to bolt.

Next up was the Swamp Gat, a Rock Island 10mm full rail.

I ran it with new mags: 2 DW, 4 WC and 3 RIA. Nary a bobble. All ran flawlessly. There is a reason I mention the mags....more on that in just a bit.

10 yds and zero problems. It handled very well. Recoil was eased by the extra weight of the full rail + the TRL-1. This gun wanted to run fast, too.

Last up was the 10mm Razorback.

I'll be changing the front sight to a fiber optic version soon. Happy with the rear. Trigger is super, zero complaints. I'm sure I'll have better days ahead with this gun, but today it wasn't well behaved.

First shot (DW mag) failed to eject.
Fourth shot (same mag) failed to feed.

Throughout the 50rd box there were several failures to feed...or to go fully into battery. The DW & Wilson Combat mags were in use during these hiccups. Interestingly, the RIA mags had no trouble in the RZ-10.

Wasn't able to run it like it wanted to due to the multiple stoppages, however it was promising. Chalking this up to break-in bobbles and me being a rusty shooter.

So....all in all it was a quick 250 round session. I'd rather shoot outdoors, but the weather is really cruddy around here today.

1) My form is off and need some corrective lenses are needed for distance. Maybe I'll get my wife to help me one more time with the contacts before I give up on the things.

2) No worries over the Razorback. I'll keep at it for a few more range sessions and see how it goes.....keeping on using all the magazines and observing which ones are the problems show up with. It's a tight fitting gun and have lots of time to piddle with it between now and bambi season.
Try tossing that Sig ammo aside and use a more consistent ammo.. I've had nothing but problems with that ammo as far as accuracy is concerned.. First time was a ransom rest at Robs over at Alchemy.. shot a horrible group compared to 3 other types of ammo. Granted all three times have been 38 super, but I'm doubtful that it's limited to that caliber..

·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger that on the Sig ammo, Steve.

It was a local pickup. Among what they had available I liked that it was same weight as the XTP's I hope to use for hunting and the listed velocity was in the realm of what I felt 10mm should be. Some of the other stuff they had was nothing more than long-cased .40s&w.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I’ve had at least one DW that had issues due to too much extractor tension. Once I deduced the issue it was a easy adjustment to make. In my case though it occurred with every mag brand I owned

·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve had at least one DW that had issues due to too much extractor tension. Once I deduced the issue it was a easy adjustment to make. In my case though it occurred with every mag brand I owned

Very well could be the situation with this and as you said....easy to remedy.

Grateful for that.

I'll hopefully have some time in the morning to sip a cup of coffee and field strip it and poke around under the hood.

Very good shooting Dub especially for being Rusty and across multiple guns and calibers. I’d be proud to shoot those groups
Thanks.

The vision thing needs to be addressed. A few years ago distance was sharp. I'd practice with my bow in the backyard at a target butt that was 42 yards. Could easily shoot at nocks. Well....guess that "few" years was more like 10-12, lol.

1.0 cheaters work on the computer monitors at work....1.5 cheaters work great with reading novels and such at home.

I had high hopes that I could use shooting cheaters and take care of it as easily.

Looks like a trip to the optometrist is in order.

The thing that enthused me the most was that the older indoor range I went to is only a ten minute drive from home.....and a few years ago they bought a large tract of land four miles away and have built a pistol-rifle-archery facility. I'm going to go shoot at their newer outdoor range, hopefully next Wednesday or Thursday.

I'll look into membership info then.

Having a place very close to home is perfect.

·
I had lunch with Cheeto!
109 Posts
Welcome to the 50's bro! Nice guns!

Reactions: Dub
1 - 8 of 8 Posts