Fixed blade Damascus for Son

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by random84, Aug 9, 2020.

1. random84

random84 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    Addicts,

I want to make a pistol and knife set for my Son as a bit of a heirloom. A hand made presentation case kind of thing.

I haven't decided on the gun yet, but it will probably be a Guncrafter.

I'd like to have an aesthetically impressive fixed blade to accompany the pistol, perhaps in Damascus or similar cleaver style blade, with the sharpened edge being 3-4" long.

Any suggestions on who might make one of these for a reasonable price?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Describe reasonable ?

FWoo45 likes this.

3. BillKilgore

BillKilgore Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
    I would suggest searching online for “Damascus knife for sale”. Craftsmen are often posting their wares on blade forum if you want a fully custom knife.

https://www.bladeforums.com

Good luck and post a pic when you decide.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    random84 likes this.
  4. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
  5. random84

May 4, 2020
    Depends on the quality of the work and how much of an upcharge there is for "branding."

One guy might make a great knife in his workshop for a few hundred bucks, the next guy has a production line with three employees and has to charge twice as much?

I'm looking for the first example. :D

But I would expect to be $3-400? Unless of course the reality is different. Which is why I'm posting here, so I can shop around.

6. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I would PM @handforged .

I have a knife in the works. He's a great guy, cool to chat on the phone. There are a couple of members who have some of his work.

random84 and Roehl like this.
  7. Colt1911Guy

Colt1911Guy Lifetime NRA member

Aug 27, 2017
    I have one coming from him, looking forward to seeing it.
    I also got one from Ben Kabisch out of Texas that I’ve been carrying for a few years.

8. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    FWoo45 and Rick McC. like this.
  9. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Another thing to look out for is whether you want a hand forged knife or stock removal. At your price range, more than likely stock removal. A lot of smiths will buy a billet of Damascus in a particular style and make a blade from that. I personally prefer when a smith makes their own Damascus and forges a blade from that. What you are paying for is the smiths time, materials, and expertise. Also if it’s a user, check out the smiths warranty. Lots of smiths do a lifetime warranty where they will fix things from normal use for free, ie sharpen, chip in blade, etc. if it’s just for looks, there are plenty of cheap knives out there that look the part too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I have a bit of Damascus knives, and those are first class!

11. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    On bladeforums.com there is a subsection for knife makers, and several of them do great work with Damascus. Prices are better than you will find at retail and online shops.

12. random84

May 4, 2020
    Thanks guys.

Money really isn't an issue - I want heirloom quality, but when it comes to budget I aim low, knowing full well the right situation will convince me to spend whatever it takes.

Rick McC. likes this.
  13. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
  14. timw1

timw1 I had lunch with Cheeto! Supporting Addict

Sep 2, 2016
    FWoo45 and random84 like this.
  15. Larry Baldwin

Larry Baldwin Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Carter Cutlery makes some beautiful fixed blade damascus blades. They have a website cartercutlery.com

random84 likes this.
  16. TJC357

TJC357 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 18, 2011
    I know this one is bigger than your looking for, I had a local blade smith make this one for me. Genuine Stag Handles, 512 layers twisted Damascus, the sheath was made by another local leather maker, Camin Alligator accents. It wasn't cheap but not to bad. 20200123_102908.jpg

17. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
  18. random84

May 4, 2020
    Thats awesome.

I have a Guncrafter 10mm i think I will use as inspiration for a custom job. The Damascus will work well with the Guncrafter gray, maybe some subtle accents to tie them together - perhaps a brass hilt - with a matching black handle design (mimicking the GC grips or something custom) and I will make a display case. 20200606_183155.jpg

1911 crazed likes this.
  19. timw1

timw1 I had lunch with Cheeto! Supporting Addict

Sep 2, 2016
    I forgot to mention that there are numerous low quality damascus knives from Pakistan being sold all over. Typically you will see them being sold at gun shows and on the internet. At gun shows there is usually a booth with low quality Pakistan damascus knives being sold as custom handmade knives. There may even be a guy who claims to be the bladesmith who made the knives himself. At first glance the knives look good. These are knives made in Pakistan from low quality scrap metal. The "bladesmith" will have a good story and can be quite convincing to the novice knife buyer. Good luck in your pursuit.

random84 likes this.
  20. random84

May 4, 2020
    Thanks for the tip - I will reach out to some blade smiths here and on the blade forums for some custom work. I don't think I'll find an off the shelf option for what I want to do.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted