**Fixed** Stripped grip screw removal

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Doc45, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    **Thanks for all the suggestions, the "slotting" method work just fine, was able to use a friend's tool to slot the head of the screw-he has a modified drill bit just for this purpose-and it came right out. Using the Challis slim bushing removal tool all the bushings came out properly, new ones from VZ went right in and the standard width grips are installed, woohoo.**

Ok, I'm a moron-let's get that out of the way. I completely stripped a T-15 grip screw on my SA RO Elite Compact. I'm switching to standard width grips/bushings. Got 3 of the 4 screws out without any issues but stripped the hell out of the remaining one. Best way to remove it?

I easily swapped out two bushings using the Challis tool but can't get the left side grip off due to this stupid mistake on my part. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Lou1 and xerts1191 like this.
  2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Been there, done that. Drilled the screw with a bit about the same size as the screw, not worrying if I booger up the bushing knowing I was going to replace the bushing anyway.

BenchMonkey, Lou1, Kip and 1 other person like this.

3. Gripwright

Gripwright Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2016
    If the screw isn't set too deep in the grip, you can use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel attachment to cut a small slot in the head. Go lightly so that you don't hit the grip. Use a flat head screwdriver with a tip to match the slot, give the handle a light tap with a hammer and back it out. I change out thousands of grip screws a year, and this has worked for me.

Lou1, bobo3020, khend1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Some times you can actually just tap a small flat head screw driver tip right in the existing hole and tap it as you turn it to get it out.

5. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    The last time I had this happen was with a set of grips that I really didn’t want to accidentally nick. I ended up taking the opposite grip off and drilling the stripped screw through the back of the grip screw bushing.

BigSkyGuy, Steve Owens and fieldgrade like this.
  6. khend1

khend1 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2013
    Last time I did this, just recently actually, I used an ex-1 extractor and 5/64” bit. Right or wrong, it took less than a minute and came out clean.

BigSkyGuy likes this.
  7. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    I like that

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Am I missing something here? I’m at a loss as the op did not specify if the torx receiver hole
    is stripped or buggered up, or if the screw threads are stripped in the bushing.

9. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    left handed drill bit, easy out, vise grips,. or as some else mentioned file or cut in new groove

10. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Either way, I'd drill the screw out.

11. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    JB Weld the hex or torx bit into the screw head.
    Let it fully harden.

Moad, ZoidMeister, fieldgrade and 2 others like this.
  12. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Apologies for my lack of clarity-I screwed up the torx receiver hole, the threads on the grip screw themselves are fine, as is the bushing. I'm replacing the bushings to work with standard width grips/screws. Been a busy day, haven't had a chance to try any of the recommended fixes, will do so tomorrow and let you all know how successful I am lol, stay tuned!

13. Moad

Moad Edge of Glory

Sep 4, 2011
    With screw head attached, this is the first thing I would try.

14. Stk218

Stk218 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Gald I found this thread. I may have cross threaded the grip screw to the bushing. Will attempt to free the screw using a technique or two listed here. Thanks to all you Addicts!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted