Flanged barrel (WC, NH) reviews?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by puddi_nugget, Feb 17, 2020.

1. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Hello addicts,

I've been wrestling with sending a CQB I have back to the mothership for a flanged barrel installation from a regular bushing setup. Would anyone on here have a flanged barrel on a 1911 and can compare it to non-flanged barrels?

1) It's been many moons since I've tried a flanged barrel, and I just can't remember what it was like. I've never owned one, only tested.

2) I have another 1911 in .45 so I am more looking to trying something new. Something to possibly take the "edge" off of the hotter .45 ACP loads which are common in self-defense loads, and for a more enjoyable range trip.

If anyone has a flanged barrel, are my expectations in line with what I'll be getting in terms of recoil reduction/muzzle flip reduction? Just taking the edge off instead of a dramatic change?

2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    The .45 Elite Pro is the best single stack model Wilson builds. In my opinion. Recoil is very subjective as well. What one may describe as the edge being taken off another will call a game changer.

I'm just glad you're not talking about a 9mm. If I see another supposed American male under the age of 50, who isn't in a wheel chair, doesn't have a debilitating medical condition, and or hasn't been mangled in a motorcycle/car wreck, or an airplane crash in the Andes mountains, tell me they can't handle .45 recoil anymore, I'm going to swan dive off the Eiffel Tower on national television. And yes, I understand 9mm is much cheaper to shoot.

gps man, Fred_G, Hvrnaut and 4 others like this.

3. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I‘ve only shot a few magazines out of a LW Elite Professional, but it’s definitely not as snappy as my DW Guardian. But I’m only 49 so I must still like recoil. I giggle every time I take out my 44mag and the only 9mm I own is an AR. Next year that all changes.

4. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    The added mass of a flanged barrel will moderate the recoil a little.
    I don't think the difference is worth the trouble and cost.
    Get a carry comp. Contrary to Internet Opinion, it will be effective on the "low pressure" .45. The one Joe Chambers shows is good. I had the similar Marvel and am sorry I took it off to shoot IDPA.

Raylan Givens likes this.
  5. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    I don’t think they have a comped barrel for Government .45s and I am hoping to keep this one. Joe or someone could probably do major surgery to this one as a last resort and If they are booking.

6. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Hey Raylan,

how would you describe it? Opinions do matter!

7. postman10mm

postman10mm Active Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I’ve got a flanged, 5” Tactical Elite and a compact Carry Comp, both in .45. Both have less muzzle rise than a traditional 5” bushing barreled or a 4” bull barrel.

Despite the Officier’s grip, the Carry Comp is far more effective than the flanged 5” barrel. The sites barely leave the target.

If Wilson still offered the extended spring plug from the original Carry Comp, I would order a 4” Professional with the comped barrel in a heartbeat, the combination of the full size grip and that comp would be unbeatable.

Well, almost unbeatable, as much as I love the .45, a 5”, bushing barrel in 9mm is the most sublime 1911 experience imaginable.

8. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    I used to shoot flange barrels a lot. I concluded that there is little noticeable recoil reduction on the first shot. So if you’re slow firing, little benefit. What is noticeable is the recovery time on every follow up shot. It is much faster and easier to put sights back on target because the front of the gun drops down quicker. I suspect the hand is still absorbing the same recoil but the fast recovery gives the perception that recoil is reduced...just my take on it. So if fast shooting, a real benefit.

This faster shot recovery is why the flange is an advantage on a carry gun like an Elite Pro or a Stealth. The ability to get the sights back on target faster.

On a 5” gun, that front-heavy weight can become an issue during a longer day of shooting. If your hands & arms become fatigued, the front sight will be more prone to drift/wobble and it may drop below the target causing a delay as you correct it (the benefit just became a negative).

There are pros & cons to the 5”. Mainly pros to the 4”. It’s easy to say train harder, exercise more, etc to avoid the cons of fatigue. It’s also easy to say just use a bushing barrel setup and avoid the front heavy thing. The bushing setup is now my preference on a 5”.

9. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback all. Seems like the TE helps with muzzle rise and not actually taking anything away from the actual recoil going into the hand.

Muzzle rise isn’t much of a problem for me, so I will likely pass on the flanged barrel mod. Was really looking for reduced recoil so a comp is probably the way I need to go.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted