Flashlights on Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by wrmiller, Apr 25, 2019.

1. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    So I was looking something up yesterday, ended up on the Tube, and saw a 10 min. segment of the first John Wick movie, 'dinner reservation for 12'.

I will admit to being a JW fan so I clicked on it and watched it. One thing I noticed that was once the assassins were in the house, John could be seen looking/watching for the lights these idiots were waving around so as to locate soon-to-be dead assassins. It was fun to watch.

When the 'stick a flashlight on your pistol' craze started I asked myself why in the world would I want to telegraph my position/direction/movement to someone I'm engaged in a firefight with? I could come up with no good reason, so I never considered hanging a light on any of my weapons.

But I'm curious as to why some folks do it? Honest question. :)

1LuvGuns and UBOATDOC like this.
  2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I think the intended purpose was to get the bad guys silhouette in front of you, then hit him in the eyes with the flashlight while also having your target illuminated.

Not to walk through the house searching with the light turned on...

Kip, Babboonbobo, BigJimP and 3 others like this.

3. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Proper light discipline and usage is a lot more complicated than just switching on the light and waving it around like a beacon. The light is there to light things up when you need it, but overuse gives away your position. Activation should be kept momentary, quick flashes to clear hard areas, followed by movement of the X (this case it’s where you were when you used the light). If you’re using a weapon light in a constant setting you might as well be telling them to put their hands up and give commands.

Proper lighting use is almost never accurate in Hollywood. Can’t think of any show or film off the top off my head.

zChambers, FNFAN, Babboonbobo and 6 others like this.
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I thought the Character Will Smith played in "I am Legend" did a decent job of displaying proper use of a light, although it was mounted on an M4, and was brief.
    Otherwise I agree, there are little to no examples in Hollywood showing proper use. Most of the time I just chuckle, because they'd have either blinded themselves with their own torch, or made themselves a glowing target. Personally I can see valid points in either camp either for, or against lights on handguns. I myself just use a handheld light with a handgun, but I do run a WML with a pressure pad on my rifle.

wrmiller, ChuckC and Fred_G like this.
  5. cougartracks

cougartracks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2015
    09650C09-CDB9-4FFE-B3DC-431508CCFE35.jpeg I like lights that have pressure pads to give me short bursts of light on my rifles . I don’t so much like lights on my pistols. That’s just my preference.

wrmiller and Bloodhound like this.
  6. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    That one totally escaped me. Very good example!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrmiller likes this.
  7. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I have a light on a pistol and another that is going on another. Both serve, or will, as bedside guns. I also have lights on my home defense 870 and AR. They are there as much for target identification as anything else. There are a few folks that have a key to my house. A couple are good buddies that I could see showing up after a night of drinking and I'd really rather not plug em because I couldn't make out whom I was shooting at. That said just switching on a "here I am" becon is as dumb as the stobe function that is popular with the tacticool crowd. The only time someone broke into my house, I was home, asleep. I luckily didn't grab a gun first. It was my crazy ex girlfriend mad that I'd ignored her and had dinner with my folks instead. I'm glad I didn't come out hot. Did ask the dog in front of her what the purpose of a 120 pound rottweiler was if she just let people waltz into the house. I miss that girl. The dog, not the ex.

livinthelife, Kip, UBOATDOC and 3 others like this.
  8. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    As in most things...there are pros and cons of lights on guns...and how to best use a light ...on gun or in your hand.

I don't personally like it on a gun because it means I have the muzzle pointed at the point I am trying to identify...vs in my weak hand ...but used properly, as discussed above, it can work. I suggest trying guns with & without rails...and using what works best for you.

wrmiller likes this.
  9. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Most of mine don’t but two pistols and one rifle does, also I have one HD shotgun set up with a momentary laser and flashlight. My most accessible HD pistol has a crimson trace grip laser mounted and a handheld flashlight. I have set ups for many different purposes.

wrmiller likes this.
  10. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I always keep a light mounted on my TRP, it’s the only way I ever carry / train / live with the firearm.

I’ll risk making myself a target in order to know exactly whom I’m shooting. I have young kids in the house, with friends who sleep over, so sometimes there are “non-routine” bumps in the night.

I make no distinction between EDC or HD / nightstand duty. Bad people come out when the sun goes down, so I plan for / expect that if I need to protect my family or defend myself it will be at night. So the light stays attached 24/7.

And I also always have a secondary handheld light on me for the “oops I dropped my keys” occasions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrmiller, Kip and ChuckC like this.
  11. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I keep flashlights on carry guns that go out after dark and the bedside gun.
    Partial to the Olight PL-Mini; has both momentary and constant on, easy to reach ambi off/on "paddles" with support hand thumb.
    A WML is NOT a flashlight and should not be used as one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wrmiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted