Flat Top Slide Winter Project ?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Slapshot, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I've got a Norinco 1911, a vertical mill, and about 6 months of Winter to get thru. I've been gathering some parts and doing some research and I have a question. I know most slides are tapered so what do you locate off of when flat topping a slide? Do you indicate the top of the slide or the rails? Any input would be appreciated.

2. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Ok, never done it myself but in my own research I have read you index off the rails because the top of the slide has a 1 degree taper from rear to front. Good luck!

3. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    You indicate in the top of the slide.
    You may need to do it in 2 set-ups, in front of the ejection port, and behind the port, due to many slides being not true. Saddle-backed like an old mule.

4. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Haha - 2 replies 2 different answers. Sorry @ wheelieg I’m going with @ pistolwretch on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    No worries man! I would too! ;) I just read that somewhere when I was looking up the same thing but Wretch has got a whole lot more experience than me and I'd go with what he says for sure!

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  6. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Listen to Pistolwretch!

7. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    So if I'm going to do slide serrations in addition to the flat top and I have to do two different set-ups would I flat top and serrate, change set-ups, and flat top and serrate?? In other words not break the set up between operations?

8. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
  9. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    If you want to lay out perfect spacing with minimal set up, you should check out our flat top serration cutter.

IMG_1914.JPG

william adams and MDP like this.
  10. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Where did you get that cutter?

Oh and yess always top of slide

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted