1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
The extended slide stop is a possible source of slide not locking back depending on hand size and how gun is held and is, subjectively, unnecessary.
It is equally unnecessary on the BHP as on the 1911; the support hand thumb should actuate SS.

The beaver tail is an abomination. An abbreviated version would look better and probably suffice.
I have experienced “hammer bite” with the BHP, which was actually “shank bite”.
C&Ss “no bite” hammers had the shank thinned so web of hand couldn’t get caught between hammer shank and frame.
Garthwaite also produced hammers which eliminate HB on stock guns.

It no doubt functions perfectly, but so did/does the unaltered P35.

·
EX-IDF Special Forces
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The extended slide stop is a possible source of slide not locking back depending on hand size and how gun is held and is, subjectively, unnecessary.
It is equally unnecessary on the BHP as on the 1911; the support hand thumb should actuate SS.

The beaver tail is an abomination. An abbreviated version would look better and probably suffice.
I have experienced “hammer bite” with the BHP, which was actually “shank bite”.
C&Ss “no bite” hammers had the shank thinned so web of hand couldn’t get caught between hammer shank and frame.
Garthwaite also produced hammers which eliminate HB on stock guns.

It no doubt functions perfectly, but so did/does the unaltered P35.
  • I agree with the slide lock issue. However, most people take this restored version to the range wrapped like a baby, shoot 50 rounds and come back after one year. No life or death situation here for the most part.
  • No bite hammer, I get them from C&S, it's no bite to a degree hammer. It all depends on how high you grip your pistol and the size and shape of your hand. I have a no bite hammer and my hand looks like I came back from Battle of Verdun after I go to the range.
  • Beavertail, yes, too long and flat. Yet, keeps my thumb from slide slicing like cold cuts in a deli. True for a lot of people and it's due to the ergonomics of the Hi-Power.
  • Having this gun as my service pistol for three years, being almost exclusively my only firearm in the field, I do trust it as it came from the factory, but it has its faults and they should be improved in order to get the most out of it. I'm working right now on a shorter and more curved upwards beavertail for myself. As for thumb safety and slide lock, I like them just like the original design. I'm changing the sights to Bo-Mar sights adjustable at the back and adding C&S hand-fitted barrel. Now you have a serious carry gun.

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
I certainly agree with improving inadequacies.
A firearm is a tool, any mods that improve ones efficiency in using it are valid in my book.
I still have a few P35s that have been fairly extensively modified, that I shoot
well, in part due to the mods.
I am simply not a fan of NHs vision of BHP improvements.

I respect the fact that you are.
Enjoy it and use it to good effect. :)

·
EX-IDF Special Forces
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I certainly agree with improving inadequacies.
A firearm is a tool, any mods that improve ones efficiency in using it are valid in my book.
I still have a few P35s that have been fairly extensively modified, that I shoot
well, in part due to the mods.
I am simply not a fan of NHs vision of BHP improvements.

I respect the fact that you are.
Enjoy it and use it to good effect. :)
There are many ways to improve the BHP and it falls in may ways as it should on the side of personal preference. This specific gun is not for me to shoot. I'm selling it. What I'm looking to build right now and that's based on having this gun concealed on me for years, is a short version of it. cutting the slide and barrel to a 4-inch length. Fabricating a cone to thread on the barrel to compensate for the lost bushing (just like a 1911 Bob Marvel cut, taking from the best) and adding a reverse plug. The spring has to be shortened but getting someone to make a flat wire for that width would be hard. I'll have to change a recoil spring every 300 rounds if using a none flat wire spring. That's in my mind a perfect upgrade.

·
EX-IDF Special Forces
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The long discontinued “Detective” checks a lot of those boxes, with alloy frame to boot.
I would go that way to start, however, I can't find a single one to buy. Unfortunately, on Gunbroker you can't put an item on your watch list once what you're looking for is posted. So I missed a few auctions just for that FM M-95 "Detective"

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Detective Kits are out there. I had one. I sold it recently because my alloy BHPs handle better and I shoot them better. I did not find the shorter barrel and slide any easier to conceal. Also the slide profile is different so it does not work in nice leather like a Milt Spark VMII built for a BHP.

The other issue that may or may not be an issue depending on who you ask it if you use a detective slide on an alloy frame the cam cut in the barrel does not match the cam cut in the frame. The Alloy is round the detective barrel and standard FN barrels are squarish notched. Some fit and work. Some believe there will be no issue with caming others believe there might be. Honestly there are not enough of them in the wild with high enough round counts to know. IIRC Don Williams said either Bartso or KKM can make the round cammed barrel for the alloy and cut it down to fit the FM Detective slide. If I was going to pursue this is the way I would go. The issue for me came down to cost vs a full sized alloy gun. It was going to cost me more almost double to shorten the gun by 1/2". In the end I stuck with the full sized alloys. YMMV

I know Karl and KGB built one and he is one of the people I spoke with about a similar project. You could also look around for a Belhert bushing. Another member here and on the 1911forum found one and is looking to do similar work. I believe he approach APW Cogan about it. There are significant challenges with no guarantee of success.

·
EX-IDF Special Forces
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Detective Kits are out there. I had one. I sold it recently because my alloy BHPs handle better and I shoot them better. I did not find the shorter barrel and slide any easier to conceal. Also the slide profile is different so it does not work in nice leather like a Milt Spark VMII built for a BHP.

The other issue that may or may not be an issue depending on who you ask it if you use a detective slide on an alloy frame the cam cut in the barrel does not match the cam cut in the frame. The Alloy is round the detective barrel and standard FN barrels are squarish notched. Some fit and work. Some believe there will be no issue with caming others believe there might be. Honestly there are not enough of them in the wild with high enough round counts to know. IIRC Don Williams said either Bartso or KKM can make the round cammed barrel for the alloy and cut it down to fit the FM Detective slide. If I was going to pursue this is the way I would go. The issue for me came down to cost vs a full sized alloy gun. It was going to cost me more almost double to shorten the gun by 1/2". In the end I stuck with the full sized alloys. YMMV

I know Karl and KGB built one and he is one of the people I spoke with about a similar project. You could also look around for a Belhert bushing. Another member here and on the 1911forum found one and is looking to do similar work. I believe he approach APW Cogan about it. There are significant challenges with no guarantee of success.
Thank you very much for the detailed information. You did save me a few hundred bucks. You're confirming what I don't like about the detective model, the profile. I think I'll stick to my original plan and just cut a standard hi-power to 4" and bevel the nose like a 1911 Bob Marvel cut. That should make a very nice gun and project. I'm supposed to go to a class at C&S just for hi-power stuff in a couple of months. They know everything you need to know about it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The long discontinued “Detective” checks a lot of those boxes, with alloy frame to boot.
FM Detectives did not come with alloy frames. They came with steel frames. It is not easy to fit to a alloy frame.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
^ What am I missing- "FM Detectives did not come with alloy frames.", "Thats the Alloy Detective Karl and I spoke about."?
I'm certain I have seen alloy frame Detective in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
^ What am I missing- "FM Detectives did not come with alloy frames.", "Thats the Alloy Detective Karl and I spoke about."?
I'm certain I have seen alloy frame Detective in the flesh.
I know of 2 that have been made in 2018-2019. Both are FM Detective slides on FN alloy frames. FN is the only one to ever produce alloy FN High Power frames.

There are two versions. One with a round cam which has a second pin in the frame. They are the more common version. There are others which have the standard cam.

Reactions: gaijin

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Being fairly ignorant about hi powers, I appreciate threads like this so I can move into
the arena of knowing enough to be dangerous! LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts