For the Leftys Out There

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by wrmiller, Jan 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I wanted to install a thumb safety on my 2011 that gave a better, more solid feel for those of us who hold a pistol in the 'other' hand as much or more than the 'right' one. ;)

So I was looking at pinned safeties, and came across one on the EGW site that uses a extended hammer pin to capture/hold the right-side grip safety, instead of the extended sear pin of which I'm familiar with.

Not only does the thicker hammer pin appear to hold the right side piece tighter, the addition of the 'sleeve' that fits through the grip safety helps maintain alignment better than that found in the typical ambi safety.

I'm impressed.

The 'gas pedals' are a little larger than I am used to, and I will probably thin those down a bit after getting a bit more time with the pistol. It was a lot more money than I wanted to spend on a grip safety, but maybe, just maybe this will be the last one I fit to this pistol. Time will tell.

Oh, and if you're thinking of getting one for a 2011, make sure you add the extra length hammer pin ($5 bucks) as well.

IMG_0074.jpeg IMG_0075.jpeg

2. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    For us "lefties" is it possible to reverse the mag release to the right side of the gun similar to many of the Sigs (P series) etc., etc?

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Why would you want a reversed mag release? I find it so much easier and faster to just pop it with my trigger finger. :)

The slide stop is easier to manipulate for a lefty also. Well, at least it is for me.

Mikey421 likes this.
  4. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    I shoot mine lefty ( or southpaw as I hear often ) and I use my trigger finger to operate the mag catch and the slide stop, and my index ( trigger ) finger knuckle to disengage the safeties on my pistols if they are not ambidextrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrmiller likes this.
  5. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I actually welded up a old single-side thumb safety and ground a nice little bump that I could 'hook' with the inside of my trigger finger, near the palm and rotate my finger down and towards the trigger to release the safety. I do have rather large (XXL glove size) hands though.

I can actually do the same thing with this new safety because they're so wide. If I do trim them in a bit for carry, I will try to leave enough to work the safety from either side, with either hand.

Because you just never know when something like that might come in handy. :)

Mikey421 and walleyemonster like this.
  6. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I've run those same safeties....they are good...pretty strong...sometimes they need a little fitting, but work well when fit right.

Mikey421 and wrmiller like this.
  7. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019

8. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Whether a "lefty" chooses to use his index finger on the left side of the gun or his thumb on the right side is a personal decision. Back to the question: can the mag release be reversed on a 1911? Many "lefties" must reverse the mag release on the "plastic" guns as virtually every manufacturer has that compatibility. Even many of the all metal Sigs have same capability.

9. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    http://nictaylor00.blogspot.com/2013/04/1911-ambidextrous-magazine-realease.html?m=1

Best option I have seen so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrmiller likes this.
  10. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    wr,
    Check out some of my older posts.
    I vastly prefer the EGW ambi,
    and I custom contour the paddles to suit the needs of the user.
    In most cases, the 'weak side' paddle is reduced to maybe 30 % of the strong side.
    Enough to use, but not be a problem.

wrmiller likes this.
  11. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Ambi mag catches have been available for the 1911 for probably 20+ years. Follow the link Mikey provided.

12. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Thanks, I will give a peek at some of those posts.

I will likely contour both paddles a bit, as they are quite large. Better too big than too small I guess.

I spent all those years training my weak right hand for USPSA competition because my right eye was my master eye. Now it's getting worse, so I'm switching to my left hand and training my left eye to take over the the master eye duties. This getting old(er) stuf su...err...stinks, but it is what it is. ;)

13. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    40 grit belt on your belt sander enables you to custom contour the paddles to match your clients needs.
    Big paddles are good stuff as it's easy to remove un-wanted real estate.

14. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Got a 2" belt grinder that will screw up something like this real quick if you're not paying attention. Got it to grind full profile comps.

15. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Thanks for the info on the right side mag release. This forum rocks!!

wrmiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted