For those that have Browning 1911 22 or 380

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Batty, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I have both calibers and I have questions about the recoil springs. I called Browning and ordered new recoil springs and was told both the .22 and the .380 use the same recoil spring. I found this odd but hey I need to trust their service, and what do I know, right? So I ordered some and they sent me what appear to be springs for the .22. I just want to have some extras on hand.

When I field strip the gun, it is obvious that they do not use the same spring.

The .22 has a 4.7”, 40 coils. The .380 is 4.3”, 27 coils. These are for the full size guns.

If you have either of these guns, can you tell me which spring you have and which caliber you have?

I absolutely HATE that Browning doesn’t have part lists online for these pistols and I have to rely on their customer service people to send me the right stuff (at $8 a pop for shipping). I just think there is no way a .22 and a .380 could be using the same springs and based on what I see when I strip the gun, they don’t.

2. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Do not pass go, but go directly to Numrich Arms! https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Numrich usually has great diagrams! Hope you get things sorted out!

4. Reverseturn

Reverseturn New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    I have both guns and the springs are just as you state. The .380 spring is shorter with 27 coils The .22 spring is longer with more coils. Good to know Browning will sell recoil springs and presumably firing pin springs. I was wondering where I would get them. I agree with your comments about Browning's website. But I really do like shooting the .380.

5. cupton

cupton Active Member

Jul 25, 2016
    I've got the .22 and I can go down to the basement, break it down to check, but it looks like Reverseturn has you covered. ;)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted