For those that use a PFD & carry on the water, my solution

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by ronin11, Apr 15, 2018 at 6:21 PM.

1. ronin11

ronin11 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 17, 2017
    I am an avid freshwater kayaker (sometimes in salty in and around Sarasota Bay, but mostly later afternoon & early evenings in the Everglades. If you've ever been there as it's getting dark, you will come across a sub-section of humanity that you didn't know existed. I always carry there and this is a Concealed Carry solution that works for me.

[​IMG]

This is my kayaking/fishing vest (and a pic of a Cardinal 4 for those that remember quality Swiss made spinning reels). The center compartment/pouch unzips (for me right to left with my left hand. The 'flap' falls forward (the is a white 'shelf' inside for fly-tying, changing plugs, spinners, etc).
    [​IMG]

Once the flap falls under it's own weight, I can reach up with my right hand and grab the grip of the .38 special. The holster is a LEFT handed IWB and the metal clip on the IWB slides into slot #2 of the 3 slots, making very easy access to the handgun.

[​IMG]

this shows the 'back' of the holster where the clip is...This set-up will work with just about and small (either revolver or SA/DA or DA semi).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    Mr. B, RazorBurn, Scaramouche and 4 others like this.
  2. FWoo45

FWoo45 The whole world is about three drinks behind. Supporting Addict

Jan 13, 2017

3. ronin11

Apr 17, 2017
    I'm gettin' there, not much of a typist, Woo, lol.

4. azguy1911

azguy1911 Collection Complete Supporting Addict

Oct 22, 2015
    I like it, a revolver is a great idea for that application. I would have chose a G43 but I get ya.

Fish safe !

SCS1911, Mr. B and ronin11 like this.
  5. FWoo45

FWoo45 The whole world is about three drinks behind. Supporting Addict

Jan 13, 2017
    Sweet set up. I like it. Thanks for posting.

ronin11 likes this.
  6. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    Crafty. I carried a Glock 19 in a small Otter Box I secured to the inside of my kayak just forward of the seat. It was pretty quick to access while in the kayak, but not all that quick when porting, etc... I spent most of my time on the St. Johns up north of you. I worried more about snakes then 2-legged predators, but I also avoided most of the popular party spots where trouble tended to brew.

Now that I live in CO, the water moves a lot faster. I haven't really found a good secure way to carry that is also easy to access. I tend to throw it in the dry box and lash it down pretty good, so there's no accessing it on the river in the moment. Yours looks like a pretty decent solution, though.

ronin11 likes this.
  7. Mistman

Mistman Active Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Nice old Cardinal. I traded one for a BBR in '06 about 20 years ago, the guy REALLY wanted it.

ronin11 likes this.
  8. ronin11

Apr 17, 2017
    Mistman: Those that want 'em, are very anxious to get their hands on them.

I have 3 Cardinal 4's and 1 Cardinal 7. All 4 still run like the day they were made.

9. Mistman

Mistman Active Member

Feb 5, 2015
    The one I traded was a 4, I have a few of the newer 3's and a 4 but they aren't at all the same as the originals.

ronin11 likes this.
  10. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    used to boat on LI Sound. thought about carrying BUT I realized ALL of my boating is done in NT+Y..their gun laws are worse than CT(if you can believe it)

those days are gone--sadly I am land bound

11. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    Makes your screen name a little ironic, eh?
    Corpsman? If so, thanks for all the ibuprophen!

12. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    wish I could say "You are welcome" I did not serve--except in the VA as a resident--Man I miss the days of serving our Vets

thanks for your service though

and yeah the screen name may be changed soon.

13. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    No need to change it; "landdoc" just wouldn't have the same ring to it. Thanks for looking after me and my peers.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted