For those with a Harrison slide stop

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by puddi_nugget, Nov 27, 2018.

1. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Hey fellow addicts,

I am currently in the process of writing down on paper my next build with one of our fellow 'smiths. I had a question for those with a Harrison slide stop.

If you hold your 1911 with your left hand (yes, please pretend to be a left handed shooter :o.o:), can you get enough leverage to push the slide stop down with your index/trigger finger? I have attached a picture of the technique said above. If you are a lefty, and have had good experiences with this technique, could you also let me know?

When I had a Dan Wesson, their Valor slide stops are HUGE ledges and made it very easy. I have not tried the 10-8 gen 2, but those look workable as well. Maybe the Wilson semi-extended slide stop fits the bucket as well.

Thank you so much for trying this and for feedback.

Edit: the picture is of me attempting to do this, however, the Wilson slide stop does not have a big enough ledge or surface area for me to do this.

Attached Files:

2. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I have one on a 5" 9mm with a 10lb spring so it's easy for me to do that. I would think even with a heavier spring you could do it.

puddi_nugget likes this.

3. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Which slide stop are you referring to? Harrison? Are there any others that work like this for you?

4. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I have the Harrison slide stop and thumb safety on my pistol.

puddi_nugget likes this.
  5. aegiswa

aegiswa Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I do this routinely with my weak side hand on pretty much all my 1911's, used slide stops include Springfield's, Baer's, Dan Wesson's (Ed Brown), Wilson's, Nighthawk's and one Springer sporting a 10-8. Haven't tried the Harrison's yet I do have one coming my way though :)
    I will mention I do have big paws and do not suffer from weak hands.. So I guess that needs to be considered.

6. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I put the Wilson extended on a Kimber Super Carry Pro for the lefty in our family. It came with the ambi thumb safety. Almost good to go as I'm waiting for a limited production run of right side mag. release.

7. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    My first question would be, why are you using the slide STOP to release the slide?...

Then I would tell you that the same company that makes them for John makes them for me (Greider) and yes, you can use them in that manor to release the slide if you so choose.

Badabing11 likes this.
  8. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Hi Joe,

Good question. As you can see in my picture, I primarily use the FCS to release the slide. My off hand will grab the slide between my index and thumb to release it after inserting the mag. See Frank Proctor for a good example of this.

As part of my training, I like to have over-sized controls my firearms in the event something happens in a real life situation or I am wearing gloves. Maybe my hand gets injured or I am holding a loved one. I may not be wearing a belt because it's the middle of the night so I can't rack the rear sight off the belt.

Short answer, I like my options for fighting guns.

Joe C, Badabing11 and BennyAdeline like this.
  9. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Thank you, this helps. Your mitts must be much stronger than mine. I cannot release it with the GI style slide stop or Wilson. Definitely need a ledge.

10. aegiswa

aegiswa Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Now I will add that I normally prefer to use the slide to slingshot it rather than the slide stop - but as you mention in single hand drills is when I use the method - I do have a 3.5 micro that can be challenging with a new spring in it ..

11. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    My thoughts exactly.

12. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Uh because I have a LB Stinger . I actually do it quite often with all my guns. To each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badabing11 likes this.
  13. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    @Joe C

I just noticed you added the 2nd part of your message regarding your slide stop. Are yours available outside of your builds?

Joe C likes this.
  14. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Of course.

15. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    The Harrison Design has a pretty good size ledge if you want to use it that way. I have one on my 10mm.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Just tried this with my WC. Can do no problem. Stock slide stop.

17. og556

og556 Member

Nov 11, 2013
    No issues doing this with my Alchemy Prime.

18. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I can do this with all of my 1911s - they have the huge DW to much small slide releases. And yes, I use my slide release to release my slide because it is consistent. So there.
    Jeff

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted