1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the 1911 Addicts' consensus on Fusion? Are they accurate, reliable and well built guns? I was concerned years ago, but I know that companies evolve and improve. What is your experience with them?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Bob Serva (Fusion Firearms) was the guy who brought Dan Wesson to the front of the 1911 line when he was running it.
Then sold out to CZ and started Fusion.
I've built several guns out of his short blocks (Frame and slide and Barrel all fit together).
They were all properly set up and worked well

My EDC is a Fusion Built Frame, Slide and barrel. It is well fit and I've carried it almost daily for 10-12 years.

Last one I built was probably 5-6 years ago, again nice fit and finish etc etc.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Fusion Reaction for a while now, just haven't done it. Depending on what you want, I'd call and talk to Bob or his son, I think his name is Travis but not sure. I've found them to bee honest and straight forward with information. The one thing I've noticed in the negative, is they over promise on delivery dates on their custom guns.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Had them “build” me a gun. Wound up sending it back for a refund. After showing them the pics/video of the numerous issues with the gun, they finally accepted the return.

Fitting was atrocious, skipped a bunch of “upgrades” they charged me for, and trigger felt like I was dragging a rock along sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I had the same question about Fusion. I'd like to do a full build, so would it be best to stick with JEM or Caspian for frame and slide? I'm thinking LW officer frame on commander slide in 9mm. Money not being a factor what frame/slide combo would y'all consider to be best?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have custom ordered from them before and have been very pleased (One of my best shooters, tight fit, and very accurate) I have a custom officers sized build on order now that will be done in about 7 months.

·
Premium Member
5,313 Posts
I had the same question about Fusion. I'd like to do a full build, so would it be best to stick with JEM or Caspian for frame and slide? I'm thinking LW officer frame on commander slide in 9mm. Money not being a factor what frame/slide combo would y'all consider to be best?
I built Mrs. C a CCO/Commander in 9mm. I used a JEM frame & MSH. Slide is a Caspian. Those have been my go to combo through 8 projects. They aren't the cheapest products on the market but I've always ended up with a gun that satisfies me and with the effort I put forth.
I had this checkering done in 15 lpi... grippy??? no doubt, but she doesn't conceal carry it or run hundreds or rounds at a time. When I shoot it, I slide on a Chen S.I. magwell for the added length and additional round.

Sorry for the thread side track.... my only experience with Fusion was a barrel and parts.
Once was enough. :(

IMG_2729 (3).jpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so that is what I thought. Thanks all! I'll stick with Colt, Damn Wesson and Nighthawk. I may dally with Guncrafter and Wilson Combat, but I'm satisfied with what I have so far.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
CAUTION: Long Winded but you asked & Im thorough lol

Fusion Firearms is a mediocre company selling mediocre parts & services.
Notice NOWHERE on their site does it say "Made in USA' when buying parts. After looking into it some the rumor is the lowers they offer are made in the phillipines.
I Could never get solid evidence tho. Dont believe me? Call and ask them where the parts are made.
I asked & the response was... So you want the front sight milled off?
Didnt ask again because I had the answer.

I already owned a FF basic 1911A1 lower that I bought for my CCU.
I wanted to venture into the red dot game with a long slide so I bought a 6 inch slide assy from them.
I wanted it cut for my RMR and the front sight milled off and the dovetail blended to the slide. What I got looked like a 9 year old did it as shown below.
They sent me the wrong screws. They were a hair too long and I stripped one of the holes in the aluminum plate. (Trijicons screws were a different thread than the Fusion plate)
That was on me I get it. Part of my learning curve and completely acceptable, This is what was not acceptable.
I called and talked to Tyler Serva. Sheepishly admitted to my foolishness and ordered a new plate.
He told me he would send me an asst of screws with the new plate. Said he was doing it as soon as we hung up. Obviously he just passed it off to someone else who was clueless.
60 dollars and a week later I got it in the mail. Open it up and he sent me 6 screws. ALL 6 EXACTLY the same as the wrong ones he sent before. I never called them again.

Now onto the the fun part.
I put the their slide onto their lower and the fit was horrible visually and functionally was equally horrible.
I didnt expect it to run perfect out of the box but I also didnt expect that it wouldnt even chamber one single round.
I could hand cycle thru mag after mag after mag and it wouldnt chamber a round to full battery once no matter the ammo or the magazine used.
Joined here, Spent 9 months reading before I made my 1st post. Countless youtube videos. Countless times apart back together. You guys know the drill.
Functions flawlessly now. I got about $1,100.00 in it without the RMR that I already owned.
I know I could have bought what I wanted from any number of fine top notch builders, so can anybody else with a checkbook. That wasnt for me.
The whole reason I did the project was to further my own labs for a future project.
Asking specific questions on the forums (not just this one) seemed to be a fruitless adventure as it always turns into an opinionated slugfest and I grew weary of trying to sort the legit from the gobbeldygook. Another good reason to spend the money, do it myself and go with hands on experience and skip the vitriol. I was working with low end parts and that seemed to be more important than actually helping me out. Nobody could seem to grasp the fact that it was a prototype/test for a future more worthy piece of iron. To those of you that helped me out, Thank You!

Test pistol.

This is Tyler Servas version of milling off the front sight and blending the dovetail to the slide.
Looks like my 9 year old granddaughter did it.

The fitment of the rear of the slide to the lower. Look at the ejector. Again a 9 year old.
I never expected it would be perfect but sticking out an 1/8 of an inch?
I decided to live with it because to fix it would mean refinishing both the slide and the frame
Drives my OCD crazy but I just stayed focused on the end game.

This is the final version of the pistol I had done based on my labs and what I wanted.
Not looking for opinions on it or how stupid I am etc That ship has saiIed.
I am just sharing my complete experience because I figured I owed the OP more than just... Yeah they suck, dont be an idiot, stop being cheap blah blah yada blah.
I am also aware that maybe my expectations were maybe too high and experience too low (Im sure you guys will let me know) but thats my complete experience with Fusion & my end result.

The above grips are build/ship grips
These Wood Calibers are going on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had good luck with a custom longslide 10mm I bought used. I've also had good experiences with parts on ebay. But I have heard my share of horror stories

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a commander slide from Fusion, that has about a 5 degree tilt in firing pin tunnel, high in front & low in the rear.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I have had good luck with a custom longslide 10mm I bought used. I've also had good experiences with parts on ebay. But I have heard my share of horror stories View attachment 729221

Thats an old school fusion ^^^^ tho from when they were in NY.
I have only dealt with them since they moved to FL.
I dealt with Servas shop back when I had my .445 DW Supermag.
Back before anyone even made the brass. Had to have 30-40 Krag cut down etc.
They werent any better then and that was 1993 ish
The big old thing itself was fine but the interactive CS experience with them was the same as it was a year ago for me.
Thats a 27 year span and I dont see Serva changing his MO.
I might be remembering wrong but I dont think so at the moment..

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I built Mrs. C a CCO/Commander in 9mm. I used a JEM frame & MSH. Slide is a Caspian. Those have been my go to combo through 8 projects. They aren't the cheapest products on the market but I've always ended up with a gun that satisfies me and with the effort I put forth.
I had this checkering done in 15 lpi... grippy??? no doubt, but she doesn't conceal carry it or run hundreds or rounds at a time. When I shoot it, I slide on a Chen S.I. magwell for the added length and additional round.

Sorry for the thread side track.... my only experience with Fusion was a barrel and parts.
Once was enough. :(

View attachment 729059

That's nice! Just the info I was looking for. Thanks! (y)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Made the mistake of ordering an 80% frame from Fusion. Supposedly “CNC machined”. Lots of flashing to clean up. Slide stop hole out of spec, and the big one, the frame feed ramp is practically non-existant. Contacted that Tyler Servas guy there to tell him the ramp was out of spec badly. First he sounds like he’s stoned and second he told me to “just file and sand paper” the ramp to the right angle. What?!? I asked him if they supposedly make their 80% frames on a CNC machine why can’t they cut the ramp at the proper angle to begin with? The guy sounded like he barely knew anything and he’s supposed to be their head tech?

Buying from them is one mistake I won’t repeat. Fusion Firearms sucks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have absolutely no complaints about my Fusion Gold. It is not what I would refer to as a "high end" firearm. As long as you get what you expect for the price...all is good. But I believe that for nearly every company, you can find a horror story.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,151 Posts
The only thing attractive about Fusion is the price. Haven’t checked that in 10 years so I can’t even speak to the price anymore.

With all the other incredible options in their price range, why even consider the one company with shoddy work and a shoddy reputation? “Custom options” is not worth it.

Buy a Guncrafter and be done, get an incredible value on a great pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I have absolutely no complaints about my Fusion Gold. It is not what I would refer to as a "high end" firearm. As long as you get what you expect for the price...all is good. But I believe that for nearly every company, you can find a horror story. View attachment 729278
Unfortunately for them, finding a positive story is the rarity. Glad uou got lucky and you’re pleased with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately for them, finding a positive story is the rarity. Glad uou got lucky and you’re pleased with it.
Absolutely! my father in law always says..." I'd rather be lucky than good any day."
Actually, you hardly ever see any press, good or bad, about Fusion...except on great forums like this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts