Found a gun . . . sort of

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by M Yaworski, Jul 9, 2020.

1. M Yaworski

M Yaworski Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Driving home from work yesterday, I passed a house with a big pile of trash on the curb waiting for pickup. I glanced at it and was sure that I saw the buttplate of a rifle poking out from the pile.

A busy road so I pulled a bit farther and pulled off. I walked back and sure 'nuff it was a butt plate. The gun was a Daisy Red Ryder. So I took it. Don't know if it works but I'll look it over when I have some time.

As I said, it was on a busy road and as I was walking back to my car carrying this thing, I was thinking, "Someone is going to call the cops about a man with a rifle and I'm going to get shot." Fortunately, that didn't happen.

1L26, gaijin, KS95B40 and 23 others like this.
  2. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    A lot of us older guys started out with a Red Ryder .
    I think it's just great.
    Keep us posted.

Adam13, isialk, FWoo45 and 5 others like this.

3. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I always figured if I was gonna get shot it would be for something good. A bb-gun from a trash pile, not so much.
    :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

1L26, 1911 crazed, isialk and 5 others like this.
  4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    You'll put your eye out.. lol

5. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    My first bb gun was similar to a Daisy 499B. I got to where I was lighting kitchen matches that I stuck in the corral fence. It was a good start, as Camp Perry was just down the highway to the East a bit. :)

Kinda like this one.
    Daisy 499B.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    gaijin, KS95B40, isialk and 5 others like this.
  6. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    This begs the question....what kind of Monster throws away a Red Ryder Rifle??

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I still have mine in the closet, from around 1965.

xerts1191, isialk and 1911 dawg like this.
  8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    It wasn't the red Ryder, but when I was 10 or 11, I discovered the old NRA air rifle program at Palms Park in LA. It was the same basic rifle type with "target sights". Got hooked immediately and never looked back. Went to high power and 1000 yard shooting later on. That was when CA still was pro gun more or less and the libtards hadn't taken over.

9. M Yaworski

Nov 16, 2016
    A Democrat.

HooDoo Man, gaijin, xerts1191 and 5 others like this.
  10. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    A truer statement could not have been made, they'll likely be looking for it after November.

FWoo45 likes this.
  11. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Nice score!

isialk likes this.
  12. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Screenshot_20200710-024558_Samsung Internet.jpg OP is ATF man. Not today.

13. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    No paperwork, no waiting period. Nice old piece. What's not to like? Nice catch.

ILED93, isialk and Raylan Givens like this.
  14. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Nice grab! I didn't have a Red Ryder as a kid, but I did own a Daisy Monte Carlo. It actually had a Monte Carlo style stock. The barrel got bent and broken, but not until I put a zillion BBs through. Can't imagine growing up without a BB gun. Of course, now I own some very spiffy European pellet rifles and pistols, and several Daisy 747s.
    Jeff

isialk likes this.
  15. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I got my grandson a Red Ryder a couple years ago and set him up a little range down in the basement. I was just down there yesterday with my son, and my grandson having a little shooting match. Three generations having lots of fun. I’d say you made a good pickup. They both out shoot me pretty consistently. Young eyes I think/hope/rationalize lol!
    IMG_2426.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SparkyAZ, Uncle Bob, KS95B40 and 4 others like this.
  16. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    A one eyed monster.

isialk and Hunt5877 like this.
  17. M Yaworski

Nov 16, 2016
    A few years a back a very liberal acquaintance was complaining to me about an experience on vacation. He was originally from Massachusetts and had taken the family back to the homestead for an extended vacation. He thought that it might be fun to get a BB rifle so the kids could shoot in the backyard. He was furious that he couldn't buy a BB gun without a firearms license. I pointed out that he should thank the Democrats.

wrmiller, isialk, Harleyvato and 3 others like this.
  18. M Yaworski

Nov 16, 2016
    Small update. The gun was missing a couple screws and the rear sight adjuster. So I finally got around to calling Daisy the other day. The rear sight adjuster is a buck and a complete replacement screw kit was also a buck. Shipping was something like $2.50. I should have ordered a new front sight while I was at it. :-(

wrmiller likes this.
  19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    I learned to shoot at age 11 when I found an NRA Air Rifle group at the local park. The rifle were the same as the Red Rider except they had "match sights" ( not really). So getting them started early and the right way always helps. Good job.

20. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Duh. : )

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted