1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last weekend while searching through the classifieds on a local forum I came across this gem: Hillsdale Les Baer Government.

Opened the ad, saw the pics and knew I had to do something to bring it home lol. I messaged the seller saying I was trying to figure out a way to grab it but if it sold before I could commit I understood 200%. We ended up exchanging cell numbers and once I knew I could swing it (it'd really help if someone bought my Springfield for sale here LOL) we had a great talk.

I just got home from the purchase-here in Colorado ever since July 2013 even private sales have to go through a dealer/background check. Thankfully not many folks were buying guns this afternoon and I cleared in about 5 minutes ahahaha. I had emailed Baer the serial number a couple of days ago and I'll paste the response from Brenda:

"Serial number LB2xxx (my x's) is a Premier II that was manufactured in October 1995
It had the 1.5” group guarantee, the black dupont coating, a single side safety, and it had a fixed rear sight"

Whoa, the deal just got better after reading that. The seller replaced the rear with a 10-8 and had Novak install a new front night sight. He is a great guy, the pistol is in exactly the condition he described. He is the second owner, the previous said he didn't hit the 500 round mark and the seller only put about 150 through it. Needless to say tomorrow I'll add another 100, perhaps more.

Ok, here are some crappy quickie pics I just took and I'll add a few the seller took. It's evening now so they're inside with artificial light.

Mine:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I'd love to find is the era correct wood full checkered grips, not the VZ version they use now. Anyone know who made their grips back then?

Oh and I don't know what it is but this is the smoothest and softest shooting 1911 (with 230gr fmj and jhp) I've ever owned (including other Baers, Novak and Wilson custom builds).

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
What I'd love to find is the era correct wood full checkered grips, not the VZ version they use now. Anyone know who made their grips back then?

Oh and I don't know what it is but this is the smoothest and softest shooting 1911 (with 230gr fmj and jhp) I've ever owned (including other Baers, Novak and Wilson custom builds).
Herrett’s?
Communication Device Rectangle Gadget Wood Everyday carry

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've ordered Herrett's in the past and they all were much lighter wood but I didn't order direct. Looking on the website the East Indian Rosewood seem to be the closest. I'll call to see if they offer it in the full frame cut that covers the mainspring housing pin (magwell cut?). I didn't even think to look at their website, stupid me. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts