1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Can't afford Therapy
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very first 1911 - Colt Combat Commander purchased while in the Navy in 1970 - Price new $125 - shoulda bought a dozen :frusty:
A few mods later:

In the late 70's I wanted to build one from scratch. Had an FFL then. Ordered a factory "second" frame and slide from a distributor in Texas. Both were totally stripped, but blued. I also got a 22 LR conversion kit for it. After the build, I sent the two slides and the frame to Bill Wilson and had them Hard Chromed to match. Look close and you can see a chemical splash stain near the muzzle on the slide. That's why it was a second. The frame looked pristine to me, never could figure out why it was a second.

Third 1911 was a Para Ordnance P14-45. Had Robar do the frame in NP3 and the slide in Black Roguard.

Latest purchase (Merry Christmas to me) was an Ed Brown Executive Elite - thank you CJ for a great pistol.

The one that is on the way is a Sig 1911 Tac-Ops TB.

But ALWAYS remember my motto:

Thanks for looking,

Jerry

·
Can't afford Therapy
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sam,

I think you mean in the second pic, and those are 185 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity handloads. Loaded like the Hammer of Thor. I normally load to factory spec, but I wanted to see how some 'warm' loads did in the pistol. I would not carry handloads unless anarchy rules, but those shot very well.

It's an older picture with a point-n-shoot digital. Not the best, also I did not notice the "whitening" of the exposed lead until after the pictures were taken, and all the gear put back. They are not really white tipped, just been sitting in the box for awhile.

Nice catch - most don't look that close :lol:

Jerry

·
Sharpening Ockham's Razor
1,990 Posts
Nice photos of an interesting collection. It sounds like you've a lot of time running the Commander. Were the changes you made to it all at once, or did you slowly work your way towards its present state? Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Andy

·
NRA member
2,590 Posts
Man the EE popping up on here twice in a week, go figure. Crap, now i really want one..and a 6.8 upper for my m6a2. Nice CCC

·
Can't afford Therapy
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice photos of an interesting collection. It sounds like you've a lot of time running the Commander. Were the changes you made to it all at once, or did you slowly work your way towards its present state? Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Andy
Thanks Andy - it started a little slow - original was satin nickel, I polished the feed ramp and shot it stock for a few years. Then thought I might want a "game gun" so I bought the Heinie Comp'ed barrel - pretty much a drop in with very little fitting. I installed a long, three hole trigger and adjusted it - very little creep and zero over-travel. Well, then I determined the sights were not adequate, so I sent the pistol to Bill Wilson and had the Low-Mount Bomar rear and matching front sight installed. Bill also installed an ambi-safety for me. When I got it back, it just looked like it was crying for a mag-well. Ordered an arched Smith and Alexander. Shot it that way for awhile, then contacted Robert Barkman (SP?) at Robar and set up a dealer relationship. After seeing his work on customer's guns, I sent him the Commander and had NP3 applied. A great finish !! A few years later I was surfing Wilson's site, and I saw their "drop in" beaver tail grip safety. Ordered it in stainless. It actually dropped in. I have since taken the Pachmayr grips off and put a set of Colt checkered wood grips on it - it came with smooth - did not like those. Over the years, i have been very pleased with the pistol. It's current state happened over the course of maybe six or seven years. I have been blessed with a good job, but it really eats into my shooting time. If I could shoot as often as I want to, this project would have been months instead.

It does everything I ask it to ---- go bang when I pull the trigger :grin: The only time I have had a problem with it, I found the original factory magazine had finally cracked a feed lip on the back of the magazine. Not the pistols fault - mag fault. I would be hard pressed to sell this one. It was the very first firearm I bought for myself.

·
Can't afford Therapy
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay -- Now it's "Sixth on the way"

Finally have the Sig Tac-Ops TB (shown below) - and I got a call from CJ yesterday. He received my deposit for an LB Commanche Mono bead-blasted Hard Chrome. Is there no cure for this evil sickness ???????????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts