1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
That checkering just in front of the slide stop pin hole is interesting. If my thumb was long enough I would like to apply a pinching pressure there with my support hand thumb while my index finger counters on the trigger guard.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,253 Posts
Never heard of it. But at $4k, I’m more than happy to let someone else be a beta tester.
The double stack 1911 has just seemed to explode in popularity in the last 7 or so years. Every week someone comes out with a new one. I’m guessing it’s mainly due to the advancement of the mags by MBX and others. I think back to when I first got into them, there was STI and full customs. Now- everyone

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am very interested in this 2011. I for sure will not be one of the first buyers but I am waiting for some reviews and to hear first had experience with it. I was hoping the price point would be more around $3,500. I think it will still be a couple of months before we start to see these in people’s hands.

·
Registered
529 Posts
At the $4000 price point you are competing with the Staccato XC which if you read the reviews here is a great gun. At that point it would be XC or reach into the pocket and hope to grab some change and not lint, to buy an Atlas. Plenty of other players in the 2011 market now, and for someone to have a website with stickers and two pistols with zero description, I will pass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the $4000 price point you are competing with the Staccato XC which if you read the reviews here is a great gun. At that point it would be XC or reach into the pocket and hope to grab some change and not lint, to buy an Atlas. Plenty of other players in the 2011 market now, and for someone to have a website with stickers and two pistols with zero description, I will pass.
Seems in between XC and Atlas or Custom build. XC still a plastic grip gun. If it’s on par with Atlas, then we’re talking $1k cheaper. But Atlas has track record, while Fowler made nice Glock Upgraded pistols, and is new to 2011 game. Intrigued to see first hand reviews when they make it into the wild.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That checkering just in front of the slide stop pin hole is interesting. If my thumb was long enough I would like to apply a pinching pressure there with my support hand thumb while my index finger counters on the trigger guard.
Definitely some solid design elements executed at face value. Proof in the pudding with some hands on hammer dropping.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I wonder, too, who is taking a chance with these new builders?
But then there are several well regarded shops that I would never have heard of if it weren't for Benos and bac1023.
I am just squeaking by with my elderly STI and STI based parts gun.

·
Registered
451 Posts
But then there are several well regarded shops that I would never have heard of if it weren't for Benos and bac1023.
I agree. With a price tag of $4000, recent entry into the market, and very limited information regarding their processes and company background--It could be deemed a too big a chance by many in this community.
However, to play the 'devils advocate,' and correct me if I'm wrong, when STI entered the scene they were relatively unheard of by many in the mainstream gun community. Like in most industries, small businesses often enter the market with no name recognition or dedicated fan base--those are built over the course of years through transparency, quality craftsmanship, and excellent customer service (just to name a few).

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,253 Posts
I agree. With a price tag of $4000, recent entry into the market, and very limited information regarding their processes and company background--It could be deemed a too big a chance by many in this community.
However, to play the 'devils advocate,' and correct me if I'm wrong, when STI entered the scene they were relatively unheard of by many in the mainstream gun community. Like in most industries, small businesses often enter the market with no name recognition or dedicated fan base--those are built over the course of years through transparency, quality craftsmanship, and excellent customer service (just to name a few).
Meh... STI was started by Virgil Tripp and Sandy Strayer. Tripp was well known and respected in the industry well before he started STI.
That's like saying if Carroll Shelby and John Hennessey started a new car company today (assuming Carroll was still alive and younger) I don't think anyone would have a problem shelling out high dollars for even the second car that rolled out of their plant.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Meh... STI was started by Virgil Tripp and Sandy Strayer. Tripp was well known and respected in the industry well before he started STI.
That's like saying if Carroll Shelby and John Hennessey started a new car company today (assuming Carroll was still alive and younger) I don't think anyone would have a problem shelling out high dollars for even the second car that rolled out of their plant.
MEH...Comparing Carroll Shelby to Virgil Tripp or Sandy Strayer is faulty logic. Carroll Shelby rose to national prominence largely due to his efforts in Le Mans--where he is the only individual to win the 24 hours of Le Mans as a driver, team manager, and manufacturer. Heck, there are several movies made about him because of this feat. Even though he was an amazing engineer, if you remove his mainstream popularity, the average American carbuyer at the time would probably not know who he was or the quality of his work.
Virgil Tripp and Sandy Strayer do amazing work, but during the formative years of STI the average gun buyer was probably not likely to know them or the quality of their work. Heck, to this day I run into people at the range who don't even know what the acronym STI stands for let alone who the gunsmiths are behind the guns.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,253 Posts
MEH...Comparing Carroll Shelby to Virgil Tripp or Sandy Strayer is faulty logic. Carroll Shelby rose to national prominence largely due to his efforts in Le Mans--where he is the only individual to win the 24 hours of Le Mans as a driver, team manager, and manufacturer. Heck, there are several movies made about him because of this feat. Even though he was an amazing engineer, if you remove his mainstream popularity, the average American carbuyer at the time would probably not know who he was or the quality of his work.
Virgil Tripp and Sandy Strayer do amazing work, but during the formative years of STI the average gun buyer was probably not likely to know them or the quality of their work. Heck, to this day I run into people at the range who don't even know what the acronym STI stands for let alone who the gunsmiths are behind the guns.
Not to split hairs, but the faulty logic would be assuming that the mainstream gun buyer would have any interest, or know anything about, a pistol that's priced above maybe $650 or has a name other than Glock; S&W; or Colt. Same could be said of a high-end car buyer. I will freely admit I know the fraction of jack/**** when it comes to knives and the only pricey knife I have is a Medford FUK, and I even flinched at that one. But I know there's $10k+ ones that are sold daily that have names I've never heard of. But I'm a mainstream knife buyer who knows Spyderco; Benchmade and Kershaw.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I’m not sure how true this is…But I’m pretty sure Mr Jardine, from 1911 fame, knows whoever runs or owns or started Fowler and from what I’ve been told, had some involvement with some of the work or parts associated with their Gucci Glocks they used to do.

IF that’s accurate, maybe he had some involvement in this too.

But who knows…That could all be inaccurate information.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
New builders? Fowler has been in the competitive shooting world since the 70s. All around good guy. Fowler used to own the Bianci cup. He also started International Shootists shooting school with Mike Dalton.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Carrol Shelby retired as a driver fairly early because of heart troubles. First thing I did when I got my CDL was head to Shelby American. I already knew the guys at High Performance Motor because I used to ride my bike there. I am a former Shelby owner and still friendly with the guys in the Los Angeles Shelby American club. They are epic!

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,253 Posts
New builders? Fowler has been in the competitive shooting world since the 70s. All around good guy. Fowler used to own the Bianci cup. He also started International Shootists shooting school with Mike Dalton.
Wait, are you saying Mickey Fowler owns Fowler Industries?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts