1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
So, after contacting Fowler, I was told that they keep their triggers on the heavier side for liability reasons and duty use.
I haven't had experience with many 1911's, but, of the ones I have: My Springfield EMP 3 9mm came in at about five pounds, but it had zero creep. Every other one of my 1911's was four pounds or under. Only my Kimber Custom II GFO's trigger wasn't clean. (Even then: It wasn't creepy, per se, but had an odd, intermittent "hitch" in it.)

And if I wanted to pay shipping, they would lighten it for me.
Will they take out the creep, too?

I'd just take it to my local 1911 smith. I'd have it back in 1-2 weeks and the trigger would be a perfect four pounds - plus-or-minus an ounce or so.

Duty use???? A $4k gun that comes with a non lock back mag?
That would annoy me, as well. That mag would be suitable for no more than punching paper. Not suitable for duty or SD use. Not suitable for competition. Never mind one mag with a $4k gun?

... Staccato 2 1/2 pounds on their competition guns.
Even my Staccato R, which I think of as "a duty gun with race gun ambitions" :D, has a trigger just under four pounds. Breaks like glass, too. And was less than $2k.

Needless to say, I am not very happy with that answer.
For $4k, I'd be a lot more than "not very happy." Particularly in light of their response.

Thanks for playing forum Guinea Pig. Sorry it turned out for you the way it did :(

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I keep looking at the Vanta 9 to try to decide if I'm going to buy one. I really want to like it but I'm just not sure. I owned a Fowler Industries Glock 19 and put thousands of rounds down range with it. It was one of my favorite Glocks at the time, but it's apples to oranges when it comes to Glocks versus a 1911.

My initial reaction when I first saw the Vanta 9 was "wow, that's a nice looking double-stack 1911". I've since looked more closely at pictures and now the slide just looks so busy with all the cuts and features. It looks like the designer and the CNC programmer couldn't agree and just decided to toss in a feature on every available surface. I really do not like the horizontal cuts above the receiver accessory rail.

I hope I get to see one in-person at some point so I can make a decision on ownership.

BTW, there's one on GB with a current winning bid of $4700.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm also a Guinea Pig and have number 30. Just wrapped a two day class this weekend where the Vanta 9 split total round count with my Staccato P; so roughly 500 rounds this weekend. It was a Sage Dynamics class, and Aaron let me shoot his Athena (not my first time shooting one but wanted back to back to back comparison with the 2 pistols I had and the Athena). I'm sad to hear about the poor experience of the other member, but mine has been stellar. Logan Fowler has been extremely responsive to emails and also gave me his cell for faster responses when needed (haven't had to use it yet).

I intend to write up an in depth review at some point, but the short of it is that I'm pleased with its performance. The finish is better than Staccato's, and performance is on par (but take it with a grain of salt...I have thousands of rounds through Staccato's vs. 500 on this). Like the other forum member, my first impression of the trigger was under whelming, but from the first shot to the last 100 or so this weekend there was a noticeable difference (these are mechanical devices that break in after all). I had zero malfunctions, the optic mounting system was robust, and accuracy was frightfully good.

A quick point on why I took the risk to be early on this. The spec sheet was impressive, I found the aesthetics pleasing (this is subjective obviously), and the price relative to spec sheet was fair in my view. I saw the following possibilities; (1) wait and see - but if it turns out really good, then either lead times would be longer or they may struggle to keep quality high while trying to meet demand [**think Triarc], (2) get an early copy, and the opposite of point #1 may be true; higher quality and response times before demand spikes. So I took the dive, and frankly I don't regret it at this point. I'm a data driven individual, so my perspective is based on customer experience to date and 500 factual rounds. As round count goes up, like all things, we will see. But the thing is fast and smooth; .15-.19 splits were a breeze this weekend without losing control of the pistol.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm also a Guinea Pig and have number 30. Just wrapped a two day class this weekend where the Vanta 9 split total round count with my Staccato P; so roughly 500 rounds this weekend. It was a Sage Dynamics class, and Aaron let me shoot his Athena (not my first time shooting one but wanted back to back to back comparison with the 2 pistols I had and the Athena). I'm sad to hear about the poor experience of the other member, but mine has been stellar. Logan Fowler has been extremely responsive to emails and also gave me his cell for faster responses when needed (haven't had to use it yet).

I intend to write up an in depth review at some point, but the short of it is that I'm pleased with its performance. The finish is better than Staccato's, and performance is on par (but take it with a grain of salt...I have thousands of rounds through Staccato's vs. 500 on this). Like the other forum member, my first impression of the trigger was under whelming, but from the first shot to the last 100 or so this weekend there was a noticeable difference (these are mechanical devices that break in after all). I had zero malfunctions, the optic mounting system was robust, and accuracy was frightfully good.

A quick point on why I took the risk to be early on this. The spec sheet was impressive, I found the aesthetics pleasing (this is subjective obviously), and the price relative to spec sheet was fair in my view. I saw the following possibilities; (1) wait and see - but if it turns out really good, then either lead times would be longer or they may struggle to keep quality high while trying to meet demand [**think Triarc], (2) get an early copy, and the opposite of point #1 may be true; higher quality and response times before demand spikes. So I took the dive, and frankly I don't regret it at this point. I'm a data driven individual, so my perspective is based on customer experience to date and 500 factual rounds. As round count goes up, like all things, we will see. But the thing is fast and smooth; .15-.19 splits were a breeze this weekend without losing control of the pistol.
Just watched Aaron's Athena review. I know they are different price points, but how does the Vanta stack up to the Athena?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just watched Aaron's Athena review. I know they are different price points, but how does the Vanta stack up to the Athena?
Both are very very flat (so much so I'm wondering if the XC is staying in my collection), but I'd say the Athena's return to zero is more balanced. The Government length of the V9 will have a subtle dip at speed with cadence shooting when it returns back to battery vs. the Athena. I wasn't surprised by this since I own a Staccato P, and the 4.5/6 inch unconventional barrel length has proven to have this characteristic and is the reason why both Atlas and Staccato went that route and would consider their respective models the most balanced (at least for 9mm).

Trigger unquestionably goes to Atlas in terms of weight and crispness. Although in function I would argue that a competent shooter would run both very very similarly. We were running IWB for the class, and you can imagine the grip module of the Athena wasn't too kind, so if I ever own one it'll be run strictly OWB.

Anyway, as stated in the 1911 syndicate youtube review, Fowler is going for an intermediary space between Staccato and Atlas Gunworks. My 500 rounds of experience would suggest they achieved that goal, but naturally I reserve the right to evolve my opinion as the round count goes up.

I hope that was helpful. If you go on Aaron's instagram, he actually posted a pic of my V9, and of course a debate ensued in the comments 🙂. He had some of his characteristic one line comebacks that you may find amusing.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Both are very very flat (so much so I'm wondering if the XC is staying in my collection), but I'd say the Athena's return to zero is more balanced. The Government length of the V9 will have a subtle dip at speed with cadence shooting when it returns back to battery vs. the Athena. I wasn't surprised by this since I own a Staccato P, and the 4.5/6 inch unconventional barrel length has proven to have this characteristic and is the reason why both Atlas and Staccato went would consider their respective models the most balanced (at least for 9mm).

Trigger unquestionably goes to Atlas in terms of weight and crispness. Although in function I would argue that a competent shooter would run both very very similarly. We were running IWB for the class, and you can imagine the grip module of the Athena wasn't too kind, so if I ever own one it'll be run strictly OWB.

Anyway, as stated in the 1911 syndicate youtube review, Fowler is going for an intermediary space between Staccato and Atlas Gunworks. My 500 rounds of experience would suggest they achieved that goal, but naturally I reserve the right to evolve my opinion as the round count goes up.

I hope that was helpful. If you go on Aaron's instagram, he actually posted a pic of my V9, and of course a debate ensued in the comments 🙂. He had some of his characteristic one line comebacks that you may find amusing.
Thanks for the report! Aaron did mention the return to zero and accuracy as being great in the Athena review. I’ve got a TRS Comp that I am going to rehome soon, so looking around to see what should take it’s spot in the safe.

I’ll check out the Instagram post- I’m sure it’s entertaining as always!

·
Premium Member
If it’s 1911 or 2011, I’m into it.
70 Posts
They pop up on broker, not many though. Otherwise I really haven’t seen much availability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was pondering an XC to add to my Atlas Athena and C2 DPO, but I think I am sold on the Fowler. Now to try to get my hands on one!

·
Registered
704 Posts
They’re good looking guns. I found out Jardine was involved (somehow) with Fowler when I called him up trying to order a rear sight for an old TRP Operator I had quite awhile back. This was when they were exclusively doing Glock stuff and I don’t think the Vanta was even a thing (on IG atleast) yet.

I understand mistakes happen, but I’m a bit surprised they let something like that slip through the cracks (trigger issue) considering it isn’t a mass produced gun, and it’s the rice tag. But, **** happens and they took care of it. Think it’s one of the better looking 2011s out there right now.

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Reactions: AJP
61 - 80 of 85 Posts