Guncrafter Frag me black!

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by ZArugby, May 14, 2019.

1. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    I jumped on an email I received last week from Guncrafter Industries advertising a 10% discount on in-stock guns. Wow, I am so glad I called Derek, and got a deal done on a blackout Frag 9mm. I called him on a Monday, asked him to change the sights and ship it out. On Thursday afternoon I picked up the gun from my LGS. I could not get to the range until today due to my annual drive up to New Hampshire for the Summer.

This morning I had a chance to send a couple hundred down the pipe and once again had the real joy
    of standing at the line unleashing a load of GI goodness. Aside from looking like a black mamba, this piece is put together like no other I have had. So incredibly tight but still slick and not hard-fit at all. I am hesitant to say perfection, because I really don't know what that means, but it is so in my mind.

I lined up the magazines and let go with Remington 115gr ball and Fed Amer Eagle 147gr flat nose. I had measured the trigger and it consistently pulled at 2.9 lbs. I usually don't appreciate front serrations, but I will be using this pistol almost always for action shooting matched and I appreciate them in this instance.
    Shooting from 30 feet, I was dealing with elbow tendonitis in my strong side, and struggled through the pain to get consistent. Almost every initial round in each magazine was a flyer. When I succeeded, this pistol was just perfect on accuracy.
    Recoil is really soft especially with the 147gr rounds and I can double-tap very accurately. The magwell is generous and funnels fast reloads efficiently and fast. The other controls are perfectly weighted, and the thumb safety snicks on and off with just the perfect level of resistance.

The pineapple grenade styled checkering of all the tactile surfaces was always a subject of concern for me. I really love GI's signature 15LPI checkering and was hesitant about whether I would feel comfortable and yet secure with the Frag's style of checkering. I incorrectly assumed that it would not grip because of the flat surfaces on the frag blocks. I was so pleased to find the pistol VERY secure both while shooting and reloading. Both the slide stop and thumb safety also feature squared checkering which I felt was unique. As I shot this gun, I got more excited and could feel my smile widening with each magazine ejecting. The cherry on the top was at the end of the session, the RSO came over and asked me about the pistol. When he held it he was smiling as well, and said it was the first GI he had laid his hands on.

I have one gripe and it is something I asked for. The green FO rod in the front sight has to go. I much prefer red, but that's on me. Derek asked me what color and I chose green - Doh!

View attachment 265233 IMG_1815.jpeg

simonp, Zippy, 1911 crazed and 22 others like this.
  2. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Awesome pistol, congrats! The fiber rods are super easy to swap out. Nail clippers and a lighter.

zipper046, Dub, ronin11 and 2 others like this.

3. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    Thanks. I was heading off to do this now.

ronin11, stlgecko and Dwe like this.
  4. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    RANGE PICS!

Dub and ZArugby like this.
  5. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Love it ! Congrats. Good shooting

ZArugby likes this.
  6. TRRK Trading

TRRK Trading Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 18, 2018
    Beautiful gun! Congrats. Derek and the crew at GI are great to work with.

ZArugby likes this.
  7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    That's a bad ass looking blacked out beast :alien1:

ZArugby likes this.
  8. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I am a huge fan of range pics, but now that we have that out of the way, clean it and take a glamour shot please. I would love new wallpaper!

ZArugby likes this.
  9. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Nice!!!!

I was very very tempted to get this and offered to trade Derek a couple of Hi Points, a bucket of fried chicken and a bottle of whiskey for it...
    But he wouldn’t agree to the deal.

Glad a fellow addict got it.

FWoo45, ZArugby and Mike Meints like this.
  10. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    I will never stop singing the praises of the Frag pattern. It is by far the most effective checkering pattern I have ever come across.

I'm glad you are enjoying that gun! Get out there and run that thing in some matches. You will love it even more after that.

Thank you again for your support, and as always, if you ever need anything please let me know.

FWoo45, khend1, Dub and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Being somewhat a traditionalist, I have found it tough to warm up to the Frag.
    That being said, I think I’m breaking out of my shell with the purchase of the
    Hellcat. So the Frag can’t be far behind.

Nice gun sir and nice shooting!

gps man and monadh like this.
  12. monadh

May 8, 2012
    The slope. It is slippery.

gps man likes this.
  13. monadh

May 8, 2012
    This thread popped back up for some reason, and I was hoping it was for more pics. No such luck. So I found this all black frag on GI's website...

[​IMG]

It was a picture of an all black GI No Name that created my love for dark 1911s, but then you see one in polished blue and...

Zippy, usmc_k9_vet, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  14. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    sooo... I am going to a new outdoor range tomorrow in S Maine, to give this one another workout. I did a match with it last Sunday, and as expected it was just perfection. I, on the other hand was seriously lacking. I'll post a report and photo or two.

gps man and monadh like this.
  15. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    There is that slippery slope again...

monadh likes this.
  16. charles20r

charles20r Member

Jan 16, 2019
  17. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I have 2 blackout frags in 9mm. A normal one wy wife procured from me and a custom one they did for me. Both have been awesome and have experienced no issues.

cwoods, Glock2740 and ZArugby like this.
  18. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    Had some fun this morning...

Brought my K9C as well.

IMG_1943.jpeg IMG_1942.jpeg IMG_1941.jpeg

usmc_k9_vet, Zippy, EB_KC9 and 5 others like this.
  19. monadh

May 8, 2012
    For my 600th post, I am going to thank you for posting those pictures of that fine pistol and that fine target.

Well done!

gps man, ZArugby and cwoods like this.
  20. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The rabbit hole that is GI is interstellar

Love GI, sent my commander in for a few tweaks

gps man and Glock2740 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted