1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have messed up my most expensive 1911, again, I have decided misery loves company. If you have idiot scratched or super idiot scratched (or similarly messed up a nice firearm) a nice 1911 (other firearms can play, too) and can meet the minimum requirements, you may be entered into the drawing for one 50 round box of premium LE JHP. I will choose the winner based on who makes me feel the best about what I did. I will also cover shipping, but it must be shipped UPS.

Some rules:

Must be a member before this post is created.
Must post a picture of the damage area and a brief story of how it happened.
Must have been the person who messed it up.
Do not have to currently own it, but it had to be yours, when you messed it up.

The winner may pick from one of these four options:
9mm Federal HST 124gr +P
.357 Sig Federal HST 125gr
.40 S&W Federal HST 180gr
.45 ACP Speer Gold Dot 230gr (this has a sticker saying for training only, it was LE trade-in)

My story:
I bought my SACS Pro LR from a member, early 2019. It came with a small idiot mark that was only visible under certain lighting.

Here is how it was, when I bought it, pictured under light to make it look as bad as possible:

After shooting it, I field stripped it and cleaned it. Everything went together smoothly and I was very proud of myself. Then, I realized I forgot to take pictures of all the things the serial number was engraved on. I took it back apart and got all my pictures. Putting it back together, my hand slipped and I managed to idiot scratch the frame AND the slide, not just the side of the slide….oh, no….before I realized I had messed up, I had managed to swing that thing damn near a complete revolution. My heart sank and my stomach prepared to expel vomit. I came back, later, wiped all the oil off the outside and got it back together, without issue.

Here are two views, with lighting to make it look as bad as possible:

Then, today…….I did this:

And the thread on it…

This Give-A-Way will go until Monday afternoon at 5:00 PM Central. It will ship out Monday or Tuesday evening.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You do realize that you can have the Pro refinished, put on some new tritium sights and it’s basically brand new. If it were me, I’d call Deb at SACS and have her bring it in for a full factory tuneup! I’d bet you could send it just as you have it and when you get it back, you’d swear it was brand new.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do realize that you can have the Pro refinished, put on some new tritium sights and it’s basically brand new. If it were me, I’d call Deb at SACS and have her bring it in for a full factory tuneup! I’d bet you could send it just as you have it and when you get it back, you’d swear it was brand new.
Yes, and I have considered it, but other than my mishaps, I like the “used look”. It’s always an option, though.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Shove it in a holster many times. You won't even notice. I wish I had a damaged one to show you but I never make mistakes sometimes. 😁

....that is a lie and I did the same thing to the recently acquired 22 ace conversion but I already fixed it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ok maybe I’m not eligible for the Ammo contest, but there was a time the 1911 was a life saving tool. My ‘44 Remington Rand has what they call a idiot mark on it, back in the day they called it an assembly mark. Line it up smash it in. Yours don’t look very bad at all. I have a couple of SA Professionals, I don’t mind the wear and tear at all. For $200 you can get the whole thing refinished.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Trying to put my slide release back in is what brought me here last year. I thought my gun must be defective and I pushed on the damn thing with everything I had but it was a no go. Ended up using the tip of a framing nail to depress the plunger spring enough to snap her home but I knew there had to be a better way.

One of the first things I did was read an idiot scratch thread here then went at my stop with a small file which was my first attempt at smithing on a gun part.

Cut the little grove in there and that sucker snicked home with authority and I grinned in satisfaction at the glorious work I’d done. 😎

Ive carried this gun daily for 7 or 8 months and it has many scratches to keep the first one company, I don’t worry about it anymore and actually prefer the used look plus the holster wear that’s becoming more evident.

Not even sure how this happened

And developing SS2 carry line on top of the slide.

Your gun still looks great OP.

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
728 Posts
I'm on the other thread..I don't need the ammo but dude.. It's all good. Nothing better than a 1911 with honest holster wear and range scuffs... You didn't buy it just to have a collector's piece, think of it as now there's no reason to baby it as such. Go out train with, shoot with it, carry it everyday and make it more valuable to you for the memories and comfort it gives while carried rather than the aesthetics... And you'll have a 1911 that no one else can put a price tag on as it will be a true family heirloom!

Stay safe

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm on the other thread..I don't need the ammo but dude.. It's all good. Nothing better than a 1911 with honest holster wear and range scuffs... You didn't buy it just to have a collector's piece, think of it as now there's no reason to baby it as such. Go out train with, shoot with it, carry it everyday and make it more valuable to you for the memories and comfort it gives while carried rather than the aesthetics... And you'll have a 1911 that no one else can put a price tag on as it will be a true family heirloom!

Stay safe
I was pretty excited to get THIS Pro for a few reasons. One, it was made during the contract. Two, it was already used. It had some finish wear and some scratches, but not abused. Just shot and carried a little. Perfect, because if it was pristine, there’s no way I could fully enjoy it. Three, got to meet an Addict who just happened to have the firearm I was looking for and lived close.

Idiot marks aren’t what I call “honest wear”, but I also don’t plan to sell this. It was a big deal, buying it, for several reasons.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I too don't need the ammo so here are some horror stories for you.

1 At a LE class and went to the range. Broke my front sight off my duty weapon. Angry I drew my off duty gun and ripped 7 rounds down range as fast as I could. Range master yelled at me for violating the no multiple rounds as fast as you can rule. I showed him my broken gun and he said I understand and waked away. Oh that's not bad that happens all the time...correct but...
The week prior I went to my soon to be father in laws house and brought by grandfather's 22 and my ruger mark 2. Since this is a sob story we know it didn't end well. So shooting, broke the slide stop on my mark 2, broke my grandfather's gun and to this day it won't feed properly.
So 3 guns in three weeks...
I have a couple more but my first and only 1911...yup, idiot mark. Ohhh you don't swing it into place like all my new striker fire guns...fuk

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Idiot scratches, like life, happen. If you are a 1911 guy you are going to scratch one (or more) eventually. Look at it as a badge of honor. You did it, I've done it, we have all done it.

I'll take the box of .357SIG.

Great thread.

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
23,924 Posts
Nice of you to do this but I'm not going to make you feel better at my expense.
(◠‿◕)
I didn't take a picture of my first idiot scratch.
They say pics or it didn't happen so I guess it didn't happen.
Sorry this happened to you but it happens to a lot of people before the now mandatory notch became somewhat standard.
Nighthawk and guncrafter both ship guns with the notch not sure if Dan Wesson ever did.

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
867 Posts
As has already been said: keep your ammo. Stop worrying about silly stuff. It’s a tool to keep you alive, not jewelry.
If someone shows me their perfect looking gun and tells me how laser accurate and totally reliable it is, I know they’re full of it.
The two guns I’ve carried the most for the last 15 or so years are full house Chuck Rogers Colts. I’ve been in fights and landed up rolling on the ground while wearing them. I’ve banged into doors and fallen down steps. I’ve meseed up sights, grips, etc. Yes, I was pooched for a moment but, in the end: I’ve got plenty of idiot marks on me, my gun should probably follow suit.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As has already been said: keep your ammo. Stop worrying about silly stuff.
Giving away a box of ammo isn‘t because I’m worried about anything. I have taken a couple of the give-a-ways and it’s my turn. I thought this would be an interesting way to do it. The next one will be for everyone, but given how my day went, this seemed like it would be fun.

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
867 Posts
I got you and it is cool. Just don’t sweat the small stuff. I’ve got a brand new idiot mark on my lower back from trying to move by myself. L’s 2,3, & 4. Lol.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I no longer have the gun so I know I don't qualify but I'll share my story anyway.

I am a huge CZ fan and every single CZ I had owned up to this point in time had plastic basepads on the magazines. So I finally got my hands on an older CZ 75 police and it was in great condition. Out of habit I grabbed the magazine from the gun to press my take down pin out. I slipped and it made a mark on the frame of the gun. I was super confused til I looked at the mag and realized it was a metal basepad. Man my stomach dropped and I felt like a complete idiot. Had the gun for less than a day and I already damaged it more than it was in the last 20 years...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Idiot marks and 1911’s are a right of passage. Did it on my 1st, a Gold Cup. Did it the first time reassembling and probably made it worse for the next 5 times putting it back together. Sold that, but if I need a reminder I can see it whenever I want. Sold it to a co worker. Next up, for some reason I decided to take my 20ga. Beretta O/U ( still my most expensive gun) for some early season teal hunting. Up to this point it I used an 870 for ducks. I bought this new in ‘96 and this was probably ‘97. I don’t know if you ever duck hunted on the Mississippi River but it is brutal on equipment. Well I managed to knock the front bead off on the boat blind. Then we have the Super Redhawk. Around 2003 I was cleaning a few guns and managed to knock it off my bench. In slow motion, I watched it hit the concrete floor muzzle end first. Then this 7 1/2 inch barreled tank of a gun did a triple gainer and then bounced off the floor this time off of the rear sights. The damage assessment was a small dent / gash on the outside of the muzzle and a call to Brownell’s for some rear sights. Fortunately this did not affect accuracy and I still shoot the snot out of this gun today. So all in all sh!t happens to all of us. As for the ammo I will pass. It’s a great gesture that I’ll let someone else enjoy. I’m still appreciative of the bobtail grips you sent me a while back.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts