1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
As has already been said: keep your ammo. Stop worrying about silly stuff. It’s a tool to keep you alive, not jewelry.
If someone shows me their perfect looking gun and tells me how laser accurate and totally reliable it is, I know they’re full of it.
The two guns I’ve carried the most for the last 15 or so years are full house Chuck Rogers Colts. I’ve been in fights and landed up rolling on the ground while wearing them. I’ve banged into doors and fallen down steps. I’ve meseed up sights, grips, etc. Yes, I was pooched for a moment but, in the end: I’ve got plenty of idiot marks on me, my gun should probably follow suit.
When I turned in my series 80, it was far from "perfect" or mint! In fact fairly beat up.

They do get "used" in real life. ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Boy I have a "great" story about sliding my Ed Brown Special Forces along the aluminum shelf bracket in my safe, resulting in a vertical scratch from top to bottom of the left side of the slide, deep, down to the metal, with a ridge on it. I was horrified. It was in the mail to EB for a re-finish that week, my brand new (used but mint) EB. But ofc I didn't take any pictures of such a dumb f.u. on my part. I hadn't even shot the thing yet. Your blems are nothing in comparison, so don't feel so bad. Needless to say, I'm much more careful in my safe now.

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
I'm not in, don't need the ammo, however the best story I could tell is about the guy that did the barrel on my 1911A1NM. Classic case of barrel bump, one of the legs broke jamming the pistol (thankfully not while shooting it). Great afternoon of cussing to get the thing cleared and pulled the barrel. I still have the barrel, ought to take a picture to show the results of a bad job.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I shot my wife's brand new lincoln in the bumper with a 147gn 9mm while night hunting once. It was a great lesson in "knowing your backdrop" as I shot at a ****, missed, hit some fencing - which fragmented the bullet and sent shrapnel through the bumper.

Thank God for that fencing - otherwise I'd probably have a .355 hole through multiple body panels, seats, possibly a window and the rather complicated dash 200 miles from home- and a hell of a job explaining that one!

Thankfully, we just wound up with a nick in the bumper.

As for guns... I have a multiple brass scratches on a freshly DLC'd semi-custom due to a shitty holster design (the snap buckle dragging along the slide). It will take a few days to post pics tho!

Rest assured, OP - anything can be fixed with enough time and money....

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,980 Posts
You should see what I did to a lower receiver recently 🙄

·
Registered
138 Posts
You should see what I did to a lower receiver recently 🙄
Speaking of lowers, not my mistake, but I had a lower SBR'd and the local engraver, a full house custom and manufacturing shop of guns AND cans, engraved my full address into it instead of just name, city, state. I about went nuts when I saw that. The engraving itself was pretty shoddy too.

I have another story where I marred the bluing on a CZ452 trying to get a tiny bit of rust off the crown. On hindsight I would have approached it in a different way entirely. My home brew fix worked well enough, but if you know the blem is there, it's easy to see.

Have enough guns, and you'll have enough messed up stories about them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, here's a doozy that I put on my Hillsdale Les Baer Stinger 20 years ago shortly after I bought it. Not everyone is qualified to run an idiot mark all the way from the trigger to the slide stop cut...

The good news is that after couple of decades of on and off carry this pistol is in the able hands of Luke Volkmann for a full refinish, flush cut and reverse crown of the barrel, sitting of a Chen magwell, and replacement of the sights (finally getting rid of the adjustable rear). If it had been in perfect condition I probably would have had heartburn about getting this work done.

·
Known Agitator
3,145 Posts
I had recently purchased my first "high end" 1911, a WC EP... Being unfamiliar with the flange barrel design, and getting more and more frustrated trying to get it back together, I did this:

I felt sick. I wrapped it up, and did not even want to look at it for a few days. Then, I shot it, and then shot it more, carried it, and really enjoyed that gun. I later sold it, but will always remember that sinking feeling.

Now, I use my guns. I don't abuse them, but if they get some scratches, fine, just hopefully that was my last idiot scratch. :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Reactions: Fred_G

·
Premium Member
27,858 Posts
Trying to refinish a Colt Series 80 Stainless that had been painted. The frame turned out perfect. The slide.... not so much!
20210310_195449.jpg
20210310_195531.jpg

·
Premium Member
27,858 Posts
What, how? Can you talk me through what happened?
I tried to remove a sprayed on gold finish. Tried everything. Then finally soaked it in hydrochloric acid. The Frame came out perfect. The slide is evidently not stainless. Anyway, I bought a Series 70 blue slide and replaced it. I did a write up on the project. It's the bottom left pistol.
1911Family20210531old.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
I shot my wife's brand new lincoln in the bumper with a 147gn 9mm while night hunting once. It was a great lesson in "knowing your backdrop" as I shot at a ****, missed, hit some fencing - which fragmented the bullet and sent shrapnel through the bumper.

Thank God for that fencing - otherwise I'd probably have a .355 hole through multiple body panels, seats, possibly a window and the rather complicated dash 200 miles from home- and a hell of a job explaining that one!

Thankfully, we just wound up with a nick in the bumper.

As for guns... I have a multiple brass scratches on a freshly DLC'd semi-custom due to a shitty holster design (the snap buckle dragging along the slide). It will take a few days to post pics tho!

Rest assured, OP - anything can be fixed with enough time and money....

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Many many years ago, I took my Datson up to the range and we used it to practice shooting from behind a car, etc etc. Ended up with a 45 caliber hole on the front quarter panel, but low to the ground. Never fixed it, I actually enjoyed having the hole there! :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, that was fun.

Since the nature of the thread was worst "idiot scratch" or similar, I am giving the WIN to:

I had recently purchased my first "high end" 1911, a WC EP... Being unfamiliar with the flange barrel design, and getting more and more frustrated trying to get it back together, I did this: View attachment 787342

I felt sick. I wrapped it up, and did not even want to look at it for a few days. Then, I shot it, and then shot it more, carried it, and really enjoyed that gun. I later sold it, but will always remember that sinking feeling.

Now, I use my guns. I don't abuse them, but if they get some scratches, fine, just hopefully that was my last idiot scratch. :D
To me, the super idiot scratch is worse than just a normal idiot scratch. Hitting the slide takes additional skill and a deeper dive into bad word vocabulary.

@Fred_G, message me your address and which box of ammunition you would like. I will get it out, tomorrow, if all things go as planned.

@Series70, that is a whole new level of screwing up a slide. Thank you, for posting. I will give you three extra draw numbers, in my next free item, which will go on a number system.

To everyone who posted a picture, you will get two extra draws. Everyone who posted a story will get one extra draw (one extra draw, regardless of how many stories you posted).

·
Registered
389 Posts
I dont need ammo, but I am the type of person who cant just leave things alone. I wanted to try a different rear sight on my Beretta LTT. I did not like it, so I wanted the factory back on.

I masked my slide and used thick 10 mil pipe tape on the jaws. Secured my slide in the jaws and drifted it in with a aluminum punch. I recall having difficulty reaching center.

The Beretta 92 slide did not help as the slide flats are much lower than the rear dovetail.

I removed the slide only to see the scaring on the tape. :cry::sick::mad::oops:

this was a better day

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If anyone has Fred_G’s phone number tell him to check his conversations and confirm the shipping address!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts