1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting a FA 83 (454) field model for hunting. I’ve heard a lot of great things about them. I prefer the matte finish for this purpose (hunting), but notice that although the premier version with the polished finish (about the same price) has a lifetime warranty, the field model only has a 1-year warranty. Since they claim the guns are internally basically the same, this seems crazy.

Am I missing something?

http://www.freedomarms.com/files/pdf/Manual83-full.pdf

[before these comments roll in—yes, I know a warranty is useless in the field...FA guns will never need repair... etc. but I do make purchases of new guns based on warranty. Both because I have had to use them multiple times, and because I feel they say something about the company’s commitment and beliefs about the gun’s longevity and build]

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,816 Posts
I thought all Freedom Arms firearms had a lifetime warranty.
Thinking maybe the reference to the 1 year warranty is for the sprayed on finish only?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought all Freedom Arms firearms had a lifetime warranty.
Thinking maybe the reference to the 1 year warranty is for the sprayed on finish only?
I was wondering if it was something silly like that too, but the manual seems to clearly indicate that the field grade has only a 1 year warranty- period. Disappointing, I’ll probably fork out the extra $ and get the new Korth 44 instead.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I just looked at the .44 Korth at the Dallas Safari Club convention last week. Pretty wild looking. I told them that if they could make it in the same, more conservative format as the .357 to put me down for the first one that they get like that. I have shot thousands of rounds through the Freedom Arms 83 in .454. They are fantastic, and worth the money.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Bead blast, matt finish.
I don’t think you can consider the field grade finish an applied finish in the normally used term since nothing is added to the underlying metal. If the warranty is limited, I would think it is purely because of the significantly lower price of the field grade gun.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,727 Posts
I went through this as well. I was told the field model has a one year warranty and that if that wasn't sufficient I could buy a Premier grade and then pay more to have the finish made in mat finish. I've had several FA guns and even visited the factory once where I was rudely turned away. My next FA won't be an FA. I am now down to only two FA guns.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I went through this as well. I was told the field model has a one year warranty and that if that wasn't sufficient I could buy a Premier grade and then pay more to have the finish made in mat finish. I've had several FA guns and even visited the factory once where I was rudely turned away. My next FA won't be an FA. I am now down to only two FA guns.
Being rude to customers does not make good business sense to me. I don't understand it and am very disappointed to read this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts