1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
We Are!
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bit of a wait, fresh Milt Sparks gunleather arrived today!

I’ve posted pics before of my favored Sparks IPD double-mag IWB pouch, purchased used some time ago. I figured obtaining a new one to rotate with the old one might be a good idea (plus, I have a third like-new one in all-black thanks to a fellow Addict). I’ve also been curious about Sparks’ single-mag IWB option, the IPS, so I ordered one of those, as well.

I’ll likely start breaking-in the new IPD first. I like how this fresh (for now!) rough-out leather looks alongside the still-quite-new Summer Special holster from the revived Bruce Nelson Combat Leather line. Old vs. new IPDs separately shown side-by-side for comparison.

Sparks had an AR mag pouch in-stock in their online store, also - I’ll look to use that one at the rifle range the next time I’m there.

Brown Textile Tan Leather Wallet

Brown Textile Tan Everyday carry Leather

Brown Tan Rectangle Number Chocolate

Brown Textile Tan Leather Rectangle

Wood Hardwood Rectangle Wood stain Home accessories

Rectangle Hardwood Still life photography Wood stain

·
We Are!
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been thinking about one myself. Is it designed to cary the mags opposite of each other like that? Or just personal preference? I like all of my mags pointed the same way. I'm dumb though, rounds forward weak side for me.
Indeed, the IPD is designed to carry the mags “spine-to-spine” like that. Mostly, I believe, to help reduce the width of the pouch.

While I, too, have typically carried all spare mags bullets-forward, I have worked quite a bit with this pouch and its mag orientation to be comfortable with it.

The trade-off for me that makes the IPD worthwhile is that it positions the two mags high and close-in. I wear mine pretty far back on the belt, around 7-8 o’clock behind / on my left hip. With practice, it works well for me.

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Registered
318 Posts
Indeed, the IPD is designed to carry the mags “spine-to-spine” like that. Mostly, I believe, to help reduce the width of the pouch.

While I, too, have typically carried all spare mags bullets-forward, I have worked quite a bit with this pouch and its mag orientation to be comfortable with it.

The trade-off for me that makes the IPD worthwhile is that it positions the two mags high and close-in. I wear mine pretty far back on the belt, around 7-8 o’clock behind / on my left hip. With practice, it works well for me.
I’ve always been curious on the history of this IPD ‘spine to spine’ mag carrier setup. I suspect it must date from the Southwest Pistol league era but it does seem counter to much of the teachings from the Modern Technique/API/Gunsite (which Sparks was so aligned with). Does anyone have the full history behind the design origins of the IPD spine2spine carry?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.