Friend asked which 1911 to buy...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Amsdorf, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf Banned

Sep 24, 2011
    I know this may be opening a can of worms, and I do not intend to start some kind of conflict, but....

A friend of mine asked me recently to advise him on which 1911 he should buy for his very first one.

I explained the history of the 1911 and all the debates over which kind to buy and how much he could spend for a custom built model, and then I suggested:

A Ruger SR1911

A Springfield Range Officer.

What do you think of that advice? What would have have told him?

I should mention he has the money to buy a good mid-range model and has other handguns, but is interested in getting into the 1911 platform.

Thanks for any advice.

2. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Kinda had to chuckle at that.

Were it me, I might steer him toward a little higher end pistol with a couple thousand rounds through it. That way he's not paying for break in ammo, and the pistol ought to running like a sewing machine.

Or, I might suggest he try as many out as he can from range rentals, friends, etc, and make a decision based on what he liked best.

3. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    What are his intended uses? Out of those 2 choices...Range (RO)? Carry (SR1911)?

4. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    If he has the money and can afford it, I would tell him to buy a Dan Wesson Valor, VBOB, or Guardian. Best gun out there for the money, and even better than some that cost more.

Out of your two choices, I would recommend the SR1911 if he intends on carrying it. If he only wants a range gun, I would recommend the RO...

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Oh those dangerous words in the 1911 world...."for a little more I could get _______." :rofl2:

6. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Hard choice,.....I would WANT to pick the Springer for the customer service.
    However, I HATE the rear sight on the RO.
    The Ruger is a great buy, but their CS has been iffy in the past.

7. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I would go with the pistol you can actually get. :biggrin1:

In my parts,that would be the Springer!

DAT85

8. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    Why the RO? Why not a loaded. Better sight.

9. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I believe the quality of the RO is supposed to be better than the Loaded.

10. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Let me suggest a 3rd option....STI. Their "Spartan" is a really NICE gun for the money. I recently visited the factory, and got to handle anything I wanted to - ended up with a .45 Elektra in black for myself, and a 9mm Elektra in pink for the wife. I own everything from RIA to Wilson and Ed Brown - and I'd stack the STI's in the range of the Wilson/EB in terms of slide and trigger.

11. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    The quality or more precisely, fitment on the RO is a lot tighter than a Loaded SA model. The RO is fitted and finish in the States, while the Loaded stuff are out of State.

12. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I would suggest a TRP. More features than the other two and a good used one that had been somewhat broken in will save him lots of money.

13. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    That's a good idea, Jason. Perhaps a used, but not abused, stainless TRP. I'd guess a guy could get one of those for less than $1200.

14. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Absolutely he could John.

15. diesel44

diesel44 NRA LE Handgun Instructor

Sep 26, 2011
    Go with the Colt Combat Elite. Sub $1000 gun with tight tolerances like the RO and other refinements.

16. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I like your suggestion even though it was not mentioned in original post..

17. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    It all comes down to how much money he wants to spend.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted