From my fb feed today - does CMS.gov want to know about your firearms?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, Apr 18, 2018.

1. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    This showed up in my fb feed today. The poster is a gentleman I've known since I was a child. He's a former LEO and when he left the force he ran his own private investigation firm for years. He is semi- (or perhaps fully) retired now.

creepy-fb-post.png

2. RazorBurn

RazorBurn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    If something like this were to happen to me I would point blank tell them it is none of their damn business about any type of personal property I own. Period. Then again, I'm an independent free thinking non-conformist. :D

3. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    As a physician, a gun enthusiast and 2A supporter, I don’t think being an ass about it helps anything. It just reinforces preconceived notions about gun owners. When I’ve been asked these questions as a patient,I politely thanked them for their concern about my well-being and then stated that I would prefer to not to answer these personal questions.
    Yes, CMS is requiring that doctors offices ask these kinds of questions.Although it seems to be an over step of their bounds, it is based in risk assessment for injury or self harm.There is actually data that correlates the presence of a gun in the home with increased suicidality and accidental death.I agree that some may have an agenda or ulterior motives for asking these questions but most are just being concerned for your safety.

4. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    This is interesting! I had heard that the gun question was being, or going to be, asked. I had a doctors appointment last week and, while I wasn’t asked about guns, I was asked if I wear a seat belt.
    That’s a first.

My wife and I discussed the “gun” question when I got home and I replied if I was ever asked my response would be “ how many do you want?” She didn’t appreciate my attempt at humor.

I would, however, decline to answer. It’s not my physician’s, which in turns becomes the governments, business.....regardless of the reason for asking.

5. jaydoc

Aug 10, 2012
    I agree with your position and personally choose not to answer these questions as well. Still, a person can decline gracefully. No need to alienate your physician when he is just trying to do his job.
    When I am inclined to ask these questions, I always preface by telling patients that I won’t be offended if they choose not to answer.
    Do realize that not all gun owners are as safe, responsible and conscientious as those of this forum. Sometimes there is a place for conversations about gun safety.

6. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    And for the reason you stated, I chose not to provide CCW training, but instead work with people who are new to shooting and want to learn, or the more advanced shooter. I’m afraid I would walk through a CCW class thinking “you shouldn’t carry and you shouldn’t carry” and on and on.

It’s the ones that get a CCW, buy a gun and think “I’m good to go” that worry me.

boatdoc, Babboonbobo and Slapshot like this.
  7. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I've been in law enforcement, in a variety of capacities, for 31 years. Believe this: Whenever an authority figure asks a question that feels intrusive, that's probably because it is. Answer at your own peril.

8. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    I like my doc. Like my kid's doc, too. When this sort of question is asked, and it has been, I am also in the politely decline to answer camp. While I don't attribute any particular malice towards the physicians asking, and I recognize the intent to mitigate a serious self-harm trend in this country, I am also not inclined to be an aggregated data point for future risk analysis, or any other purposes not immediately related to my individual medical needs.

9. jaydoc

Aug 10, 2012
    ^^^^^^^^
    This!
    You don’t need to treat the Doc like a bad guy but do realize that data that goes in the chart, may be discoverable by Big Brother

10. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    Thank you Mr. Obama!

When the push to convert to electronic medical records was going strong, I use to write at the bottom of any medical form I filled out that the doctor and/or hospital did not have my authorization to release my information outside the doctors office or hospital system. I don’t know if it did any good, but I felt better doing it. Not going down without a fight!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Not the first time I've heard this... Have a physical tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

12. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I've never been asked any firearm questions. My physcatrist has a number of Wilson's my spine surgeon has 100s of guns. Including full auto. My pain Dr freaked that I had a empty holster on. I tild him I had a licence to carry. No other word was sad about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

13. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    I was asked this question during my yearly physical for the first time. I just told them that it is not any of their, nor anyone else's, business as to what I have or don't have. No animosity from him or me.

boatdoc, Babboonbobo and Ohio like this.
  14. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    My last optometrist would pull out a new gun to show me whenever I went in for an exam. I, of course, would reciprocate and show him my newest.....spent more time talking guns then about my eyes.

In my last visit to my hip surgeon I asked a question about carrying a gun on my hip (had a total replacement), he said “no problem, what kind of gun do you have”. I told him and asked him.....he was a new Sig owner. He said he and his 13 yo son would like training, I offered. Haven’t heard from him but would like the opportunity to work with them. Nice guy. Good surgeon

boatdoc likes this.
  15. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I thought this was a joke when i first read it. Fake news from facepage. Now i am surprised and creeped out. No matter how well intentioned at the start, this is some 1984 ****. Granted I havent been to the doc since my football physical before senior year.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  16. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’ve been to different doctors a lot lately between my knee surgery, arthritis in my shoulder a car accident and then with my wife for her pneumonia, ms, and car accident she was in!!!
    Been asked a lot of questions like...

Are you happy, feeling sad?

Feel like hurting yourself or someone else?

Do you fell safe at home? (this ones my favorite as I always cheerfully answer, YES VERY and leave it at that)

Do you have enough food at home and have you missed any meals?

Plus a few other similar questions I forget but never been asked about firearms.

Kip likes this.
  17. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I have heard of this before, haven't seen a Dr. in awhile myself.
    I'd decline or else deflect...
    "Doc,there's a spot on my junk,can ya look at it" :D
    She caught on fast...

18. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015

just dementocrap meddling as far as I can see. if there were no such thing as guns -- would they ask if you keep poison or knives in the home?

also--I am sure if there were NO GUNS, we would see a direct correlation between suicide and bombs kept in the home, knives in the home, arsenic.....

jaydoc , you are correct about how to handle this. I am pissed that we even have to broach the subject-- just anothe r contribution to America from Obamanation

Journeyman1234 likes this.
  19. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Never been asked any of that crap!!! If they ask me well................. it won't be pretty. LOL My doc thinks I'm funny as hell and half crazy.

GeorgeandSugar, Kip and WHEELS like this.
  20. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    yeah there is---on the gun range or in a gun store or among fellow gun owners

NOT with anyone putting it on record somewhere. I tell NO ONE like that..no Drs no lawyers, cops...loose lips..sink ships..mums the word

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted