Front Sight “Pin” (?) Working Loose

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Apr 6, 2019.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Crappy pic, but you get the idea. Springfield Armory “Loaded” Model, new-to-me, 2017ish edition I believe. Just past the 500-round mark under my ownership and I see that a pin is working its way out of the front sight as shown. Likely happened during 200-round range visit today.

What size hex / Allen wrench (or other tool) can I use to lock this back down (perhaps with a drop of Loctite, to boot?), or is this a job for Springfield Armory Customer Service to tackle? It would seem I could easily correct this myself - what say my fellow Addicts?

0BE357C9-9B00-4D21-8B5E-CE0767793548.jpeg

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    This is a roll pin most likely can just tap it back down with a broad head punch and a few light taps with a hammer. The hole should go all the way through the slide frame so pull the barrel and make sure not to drive it below the surface where it can interfere with your barrel bushing.

Most likely will happen again if it does remove that one put a small drop of blue loctite in the hole and buy a 1/16 roll pin about 3/8 long from your local hardware store and replace it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    A45GUNNER, duketbrd88, isialk and 3 others like this.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Perfect - thank you, Steve!

Steve Owens likes this.
  4. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    OK, My question is where can I buy a couple of these roll pins. After changing out front sights on a couple pistols, I have lost these pins in the carpet pile of my office. No way in hell to find them. Where do I order them?

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Steve Owens like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Go to a local Hardware store Paul.. Ace, True value and some lumber yards will have these. They are 1/16 inch and come in different lengths, I find that a 3/8 usually is pretty good and don't need cut down. if you have suppressor sights you may need 1/2" pin. Or you could do this and then just cut them down.. if needed..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLL-PINS-...:sc:USPSFirstClass!43302!US!-1&frcectupt=true

WhoIsJohnGalt? and duketbrd88 like this.
  6. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Great advice Steve! Thats the reason I love this forum. People are always ready to offer help and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Steve Owens like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted