Front Sight and 1911's

Discussion in 'Training' started by UBOATDOC, Aug 31, 2017.

1. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER

Apr 5, 2015
    Okay, I know.....if I attend I will likely have a propane torch used on my......"significant" regions unless I sign a double secret probation lifetime contract complete with "free" shotguns, rifles, "patriot" pistols and a range view condo. In any case, I don't really feel like I can realistically spend the money to go to Gunsite or travel all the way up to Thunder Ranch. But I sort of need some refresher training for a couple days and I can justify it being on the way to or the way back from Las Vegas to my wife(who I would take with me for one of her semi annual "shop a thons"). So my question is, has anyone of my fellow Addicts gone to Front Sight and if so, did they use the sort of "recommended" polymer pistol or a 1911? I want to train with what I want to carry more often, which of course is a 1911. I am confident that any of my 6 Colt's will withstand the abuse, regardless that I would likely take a spare and probably my G19 "just in case". From the website, it looks to be a bit more "plastic friendly" however they do list a 1911 type pistol as a recommended gun. So....anyone taken their 1911 to this place. Of course, if you took your Glock, HK, Sig, ????? your experience there would still be welcomed. Doc

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  2. jonboyidaho

jonboyidaho New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I

I have been a half a dozen times and although there is the over the top email and phone call nuttiness, it is a fun experience. They take the class from zero to a hundred miles an hour by the end. Many of the instructors use 1911 and are proud of it. I have taken Glock strictly because of the higher capacity. You are reloading a lot lot. I can get by with 3 mags, one in and 2 on belt , if you take 1911, you really should have at least 4 if not 6 mags, and belt pouches for them. I would encourage 1911, but just be prepared for lotso mag filling. Hope that helps. JB

3. WHEELS

WHEELS 1911ADDICT

May 12, 2015
    On a 1911 I prefer a gold bead for my front sight.
    :p
    Sorry I couldn't stop myself.

4. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
  5. jonboyidaho

jonboyidaho New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    You are correct, they do endorse GC and even sell raffle tickets for drawings for them. Good catch. JB

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  6. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    You'd be fine with a 1911. The people that slow down classes are running revolvers or single stack sub-compacts.

Pennywise827 and Jollyroger1 like this.
  7. mikegalway

mikegalway Never underestimate the power of bacon Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Same here

Jollyroger1 and 1911wheelsnomore like this.
  8. Pennywise827

Pennywise827 I keeed I keeed..... Supporting Addict

Jan 23, 2017
    I haven't been to any class, but can't wait to read your write up.

Gold bead does kick ass

9. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    Sounds like I will need one of those "big flapper" mag holders developed a few years ago. I have heard that they hold a pretty good class overall. I am likely to just get one of the resale certificates off eBay for the 2 or 4 day course.

10. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 23, 2014
    I am always amazed at how cheap those certificates are compared to what they list as MSRP. 5-6 years back there was a deal where for $500 you got a lifetime membership for I think the first level of classes, kind of regret not buying it but if $15 certificates are real I guess there is no point to do that.

Definitely let us know how it goes, I am planning to take the 4 day handgun class in the next year.

H Golf Sport likes this.
  11. sharps71

sharps71 New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I've have attended classes there a couple times a year since 2009. The training is great. You'll be fine running a 1911 lots of folks show up with them.

12. jonboyidaho

jonboyidaho New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    My friends joined early on, 15-20 years ago and they paid $10,000 for a diamond lifetime membership. They were happy about it and they have been probaby 40 times. They got me involved 6-7 years ago and I stole a membership for $2,000 and since have fallen for some of the upgrades so I am probably in it $3,000. It seems ridiculous now with the way he has diluted them so much. Everybody I have talked to in the classes I have attended have paid somewhere around $250 for lifetime. Kind of sickening. But actually I feel that after the second class, I feel it was worth it for me. There is no other classes I could attend either locally or afar that would be any better or cheaper. So on one hand I feel foolish but on the other hand, I can't cry over spilt milk and at least I have the training. If you can get the certificates or a lifetime for that cheap, you can't go wrong. My opinion. JB

13. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes, I may still join. One has to wait until he emails with the "lifetime" good deal. As much as I want to attend, I also want to take my wife for at least the 1 or 2 day "beginners". She would respond better in a whole class of either other ladies or co-ed with some other females to commiserate with, than when I coerce her to the range. She maybe does 50 rounds and then is ready to go home, to dinner, to mall, to hair place, nail place......anywhere else almost. At least I have her and my daughter convinced to help reload mags in case of zombie Antifa, PETA, left wing cockroach, free range snowflake invasion. Might not help much in a real Civil War, where I doubt we will last too long when up to our collective chins in M1 Abrams tanks and black helicopter gunships with UN/EU/Soros AF markings on them. But I will be able to get a couple shots off.

14. jonboyidaho

jonboyidaho New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    If you can get a lifetime membership for anything in the $500 range, I would recommend it. You can't get a one or two day, one time training anywhere for that. Again, my opinion. JB

15. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    So, the saga continues. I signed for the lifetime of 2-4 day classes complete with free shotgun for 250.00 bucks. What caused me to upgrade was not the shotgun as I am happy as can be with my 590 and Shockwave. But that I get a free(and likely more than one)certificate for a 4 day class for either my wife or a gun toting buddy. Anyway, at this point, it seems like a good deal. When I go, I will detail the experience here no matter the outcome. I tend to be objective with things like this sort of class and will keep an open mind. I actually think I will gain some improvement of my skills and enjoy it. I am sure there will be some "sniper ninja/trained assassins" who have just completed a marathon of movies from American Sniper to Jarhead. It will be a fun few days. I am waiting for it to cool off in the SW though, so likely no reports on this until November or December. Doc

gun_fan111 and 1911wheelsnomore like this.
  16. jonboyidaho

jonboyidaho New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Good call on some of your future classmates. There are some real show off knuckleheads but overall chances are you will learn something. Looking forward to your assessment and report.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  17. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    Hey Jon Boy, I am hoping that the instructors sort of calmly and assertively tone those kind of people down. Sort of like Sgt Hulka to Psycho(Francis) in Stripes, maybe. LOL.

18. jonboyidaho

jonboyidaho New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Ha good one. They usually are in pretty good control. If one of them even starts to do anything unsafe, they come unglued pretty fast, which is good. As far as showing off, they can't do a lot with that..... it will be a fun deal for you

19. SCS1911

SCS1911 Failed all therapy Supporting Addict

Oct 5, 2012
    My brother and sister in law went to a class at Frontsight a couple of years ago. My brother used one of their 1911's (Colt 5 inch in .45 auto) for the whole time. No problems and he said no one really gave him sh!t for using it, and they both had a good time. He said that he did learn some new techniques while there. I personally would bring my own guns, since I know them and how they function.

Kip likes this.
  20. jonboyidaho

jonboyidaho New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Completely agree you should take and use your own weapon, whatever it is, so you become more familiar with it, including clearing (forced) malfunctions
    You see mostly Glock types of course, mostly due to high capacity, however there are a fair amount of 1911s, especially among instructors, and I feel the 1911s are respected. Jb

Kip likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted