Front sight to rear sight ratio

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Mike Meints, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I've read that the correct ratio is 70 - 80 % , but , is that correct ? Does it matter if you're shooting bullseye or tactical ( IDPA ) ?
    I've measured several 1911's and have found rear sights larger and smaller than the front ! What say you ?

2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I may be totally misunderstanding this but I always thought the sights on a handgun were set up to accommodate the outside dimension of the barrel. Depending on the height of the rear sight you encounter a plus or minus height measurement of the front sight. The ultimate goal is that both sights are the same height and parallel to the center axis of the barrel.
    As I'm a rookie I defer to my betters on this subject.

I don't mean both sights measure the same height from the slide, but from the center barrel axis

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Otherside and john_anch_ak like this.
  4. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Sorry , I should have been more clear .
    The width of the front sight compared to the width of the rear sight notch .

5. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    It should vary based on what you are trying to achieve with the pistol. My observations:
    - LB has the same width front and rear (.125), great for paper target punching at 10-15 yards
    - For faster sight acquisition, you will see a lot of sets with .140 rear and .125 front

On my 3-gun pistol, I put a .110 front to pair with .125 rear. That is about 90% and I think my accuracy will degrade if I go to 70-80%

Mike Meints likes this.
  6. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Mike Meints likes this.
  7. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Depends on what works for you and your skill level.

I find Thinner front sights are great in competiton speed shooting...can see more of the target....BUT a thinner front blade can lead to a bit more “wobble”, or if the shooter is off a bit they “angle” the gun on target (ie: angle to align sights)...this tends to throw shots...

A standard front sight seems to be a bit more precise and less “wobble” because less light on either side when aligned...BUT it does obscure more of the target...

Play with variants and find which works best for you and your shooting style. My competition guns have .115 width’s and my defense guns have standard .125 widths...

Hope this helps a bit...

8. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Purely Personal preference.
    I run .090” FS with standard.125”/.135” rear.
    This is quick for me to acquire.
    I’ve shot this combo so long I am capable of precise shot placement.

A wider FS slows me down considerably.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted