1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m relatively new here. I’ve been a lurker for a while after I shot my first 1911 after years of polymer guns. Anyways, I was thinking about gold sights and how the gold sight on my friends gun drew my eye so well. Has anyone ever tried to gold foil a plain, serrated, staked front sight? Just thinking outside the box here so I don’t have to send it out to get cut.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Yeah. I didn’t know if I can seal it on somehow. I guess I can steal some glittery nail polish from my daughter.

Photos when finished are required of course. That's the price of advice around these parts . . . .

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I don't know enough about gold foil. BUT if you can seal it with a matte clearcoat it might hold up in the heat. Like you; just thinking outside the box.
There are GS who install the bead in your current sight!

·
Registered
932 Posts
What kind of shooting will you be using the gun for?

Do you wear prescription corrective lenses?

Front sight precision focal point is required for precision shooting. Most prefer a flat black Patridge front sight. This requires discipline for front sight focus.

General shooting and action pistol games may prefer the "flash" sight picture and a dot of some sort for speed. Gold beads have found a place here.

Either requires training and practice to perfect.

Train, practice, train, practice, clean less in 2020,

Reactions: isialk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’d like to try single stack in steel challenge. Right now it’s black on black which isn’t terrible. I wouldn’t be using it as a carry gun now because my employer doesn’t allow single action only.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I’d like to try single stack in steel challenge. Right now it’s black on black which isn’t terrible. I wouldn’t be using it as a carry gun now because my employer doesn’t allow single action only.
Generally fiber optic sights are most often found on guns that are used for steel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.