1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a 1911 Colt, Dan Wesson, Kimber, with any frame material steel, stainless, aluminum. I want to have the front strap checkered, who or what company would be the best to send it to? What is a ballpark figure on cost? Some type of re-finish will be required. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks Addicts

·
Registered
156 Posts
If I have a 1911 Colt, Dan Wesson, Kimber, with any frame material steel, stainless, aluminum. I want to have the front strap checkered, who or what company would be the best to send it to? What is a ballpark figure on cost? Some type of re-finish will be required. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks Addicts
Hi, I able to do machine checkering for you, here are some pictures of our checkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the offers to do the work and some fine looking work it is! To be honest after seeing your answers more planning is in order. Not really sure I want to have this done but if I do I need to research and see any other things I would like to be done. Also not certain which pistol I want to have worked on.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,451 Posts
Here’s the secret recipes, Yuasa rotary table and modified angle plate. 100% machined by hand.

I machine by hand to using the keller fixture. In the beginning I had a couple tool and die maker buddies who are helping me design one and theoretically it work but I nearly cut my finger off with the dog gone thing LOL so I opted for the Keller fixture instead. The other fixture just wasn't quite rigid enough. But I've since come up with a way to make it more rigid just haven't got around to it. Very nice work indeed

·
Registered
156 Posts
I machine by hand to using the keller fixture. In the beginning I had a couple tool and die maker buddies who are helping me design one and theoretically it work but I nearly cut my finger off with the dog gone thing LOL so I opted for the Keller fixture instead. The other fixture just wasn't quite rigid enough. But I've since come up with a way to make it more rigid just haven't got around to it. Very nice work indeed
I have seen Keller checkering fixture, very nice fixture, look like very easy to use and more lighter than Yuasa 12” rotary table and angle plate, weight about 175 pounds. I may buy a Keller checkering fixture when Cylinder & Slide have it in stock again.

·
Dremel jockey
4,655 Posts
^^^^^^
All beautiful.
All fine examples of precision machining!

jr,
I also use a 12" Yuasa turntable.
I weighed it a while back and it was 165 lbs.
Without fixturing attached.
I no longer hand carry it to and from the bench/mill.
Now I use a lift cart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts