Ft after changing springs

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by jrgreene1968, Jan 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968 New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I've got a kimber target custom II, and recently replaced the springs with Ed brown springs.. Just for maintenance, as the gun run flawless, no issues at all. But now with new springs, it seems like light primer strikes, once in awhile. Pull the trigger, the hammer drops, but no bang. Rack another round and it usually fires, but a time or two it did the same thing after racking a new round.
    Since this happened after installing the springs, I went back to Ed Browns site, and the competition mainspring says it gives a lighter trigger pull.. Could this mainspring be the problem?
    I replaced the recoil spring (16.5 lb) the firing pin spring and the mainspring.
    I've still got the kimber springs I pulled out, which look new, and can order springs from kimber if needed, just can't figure out what's happening all of a sudden
    Thanks

2. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    What weight is the mainspring?

3. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    make certain your mainspring is the recommended 23lb for gov't and commander models. Often times folks seeking an easy way to achieve a lighter trigger pull will install reduced power mainspring. I like to use standard power springs unless ammo is especially light or heavy loaded. The 19lb Brown mainspring is almost undoubtedly your issue.

1911fanatic and 41 Charlie like this.
  4. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968 New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't know what the weight is on the Ed brown mainspring, the site just said competition mainspring. I wasn't looking for anything competition, just wanted to do maintenance and replace the springs, since I bought the gun used and had no idea how many rounds been through it. But if you think a mainspring would cause my problems, then I'll just order a new set of springs from kimber for this particular gun.
    I just figured the Ed brown springs would be better.. And they probably are.. Maybe they sent me to light of a spring

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Ed Brown MS is 19#
    I've used plenty of them with no issue.

STI uses 15# mainsprings, which ibalso use in my game guns with no issues.

Have you pulled the FP? I'd be interested to see if the Swartz (FP) safety is working right. It may be that the heavier stock spring was masking the real problem.

EXFI likes this.
  6. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Good idea to detail strip and change springs on a used gun purchase. I believe the Brown mainsprings sold for "competition use" are reduced power ,19lbs. Instead of standard 23lbs, They are cheap, go to Wolff gun springs and get a couple recoil springs and a couple mainsprings and anything else spring related you might need. She will run fine once again

EXFI and jrgreene1968 like this.
  7. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968 New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for the help.. Going to order them right now.
    I did detail strip the gun, everything in great shape .. Leave it to me.. If it ain't broke, I'll break it

8. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Very interesting. Lots of 1911s these days seem to be getting a less than 23 pound main spring rating from the factory or former owner. About the only way I can be sure of getting a 23 is by buying a new Colt, in 45, in a GM or Commander. The Gold Cups, 9 mils and supers get 19 pound rated main springs out the factory door.

I have seen in forum print that a properly timed swartz safety will remain properly timed. In other words, the timing does not degrade. This would not prevent me from carefully inspecting the firing pin and firing pin plunger carefully for signs of peening.

Firing pin spring ratings are different as well. If the Kimber OEM arrangement is #23 main and reduced power firing pin spring; changing to #19 main and extra power firing pin spring could make a difference with some factory or reloaded ammunition. Add in a Swartz safety that was timed in such a way that allowed ignition in a sub-standard way with original springs and the spring change could be the difference.

william adams and 1911fanatic like this.
  9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm with you on this . Combine reduced main spring with heavy firing pin spring you get light strikes . Done it myself . Gun worked fine before spring change . Since then , I buy springs in sets meant to be together .

william adams likes this.
  10. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968 New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I got all new springs and a new firing pin ordered from Kimber.
    Thanks for the help

11. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013

12. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I think Kimber may use Wolfe springs .

13. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    If you found damage on the firing pin or plunger, you need to address the swartz safety timing. The damage, if present, indicates you are not getting enough lift of your plunger soon enough for a reliable bang. If the factory springs were over riding a minor timing problem; going back to factory springs will just go back to over powering the impediment. Not saying you have this condition. Just saying another firing pin will not fix it. The firing pin and plunger you have now should show the absence or presence of the condition.

14. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968 New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I checked the timing this morning EXFI.. And you are right, it's not releasing the safety which is not letting firing pin move forward.
    It's like the the little rod that the grip safety moves up, needs to go up a fraction more.. Any idea how to fix that?

15. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I have read how but it is way above my pay grade and ability with tools. If you had watched me fitting an ambi the other day, you would understand. I will see if I can find a link. I will let you decide if you want to take it on.

16. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
  17. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011

I win :)

18. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    That is correct. Quack was first in crossing the finish line.:careful:

19. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968 New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Sorry about that quack, I guess when I was reading through last night it smooth went over my head.. But I really appreciate the help

20. jrgreene1968

jrgreene1968 New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Well just for grins I got 3 other kimbers I own out to check the Swartz timing.. And now I'm thinking I'm checking them wrong, because the firing pin can't be pushed in on none of them, after racking slide, but holding trigger. Only way the firing pins will release on them is to push in the grip safety.
    I seen a video where a guy checked his, and his firing pin clearly is released when racking slide with trigger depressed and hand off grip safety
    Now I'm more confused than when I started, lol, because the other guns run perfect

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted