FTF issues with 2 new 10mm pistols

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Justinf, Feb 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Justinf

Justinf Active Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Went shooting with a buddy today who just bought 2 new 10mm 1911s, a Springer Elite Operator and a Colt Delta Elite. We put about 100-150 rounds into each one and had terrible FTF issues with both guns. Both he and I had the problem when firing both pistols. We were shooting a variety of ammo, mostly Magtech range type stuff but also some Bear Bore and some Hornady 300g. Problems with all.

It seemed to come down to the magazines: the ones that came with the SA and two extra WC mags the purchased were the ones that FTFed, maybe 30-40% of the time. These had the standard WC-style flat metal follower. However, the Colt mags with the sculpted metal follower and another one (maybe also came with the Colt) with a rounded plastic follower were problem-free. I should have taken some pics, but didn't.

Any thoughts on this? He was understandably a bit bummed. I never have owned a 10mm 1911 so I'm just curious if they are picky on mags. Any thoughts welcome and thanks.

2. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Had the best luck with a SS Colt mag,no idea of a model number but very heavy.
    Try some .45 mags,seem to solve problems.

cundiff5535, ZoidMeister and Justinf like this.

3. TRRK Trading

TRRK Trading Well-Known Member Sponsor Supporting Addict

Oct 18, 2018
    10MM can be finicky and IMO really need fine tuning to run well. When going 10MM in 1911 I think it pays to go with one of the high end builders like GI, Brown, NHC or Wilson.

Justinf likes this.
  4. Justinf

Justinf Active Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Maybe in this case then a skilled smith could help make these run better. That's interesting also about the .45 mags working. I'll pass that along, thanks.

Kip likes this.
  5. Justinf

Justinf Active Member

Jan 15, 2013
    OT: he had one other new gun, a S&W M329PD 44mag Airweight. Holy crap. That thing is a beast.

Kip likes this.
  6. TRRK Trading

TRRK Trading Well-Known Member Sponsor Supporting Addict

Oct 18, 2018
    That's interesting as the manager at my LGS has always told me the best 10MM 1911 magazines are the WC ETM .45's.

BCWood64, Kip and Justinf like this.
  7. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I have a few really old WC mags in 10mm and they suck, they only have one centering indent on one side.

The Ed Brown mags work great.

8. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Bunk! I’ve owned several and still own 10mm 1911’s and none were higher end, and they all ran well, except for an RIA.

9. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    A Delta I bought was unreliable with both Colt and WC magazines. Someone recommended Tripp Cobra mags and I have not had another malfunction in over 1k rounds of mixed ammo, everything from light weight hps to heavy cast. I'm not saying this will fix your problems, but it sure did mine.

william adams and Kip like this.
  10. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    My DW 10mm Valor runs the OE mags no problem and the WC 47NX no problem. My Delta Elite has had no issues to date.

11. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Tripp cobra mags will help. Good luck, that sucks

LPRoad likes this.
  12. Justinf

Justinf Active Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you fellas. I'll pass this info along.

13. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Most new mags need some break in time. By that I mean load them up full a couple times and let them sit fully loaded for a week or two.

14. pacecars

pacecars Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2012
    I have had good luck with Metal Form and Mec-Gar.

15. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have four 10mm 1911s now and they all have what are or seem to be Metalform mags except my DW Classic Commander size 10mm I bought barely used in 2011 and has slightly different mags. Below the followers of the old DW on the left then a mag from a 1990 Colt Delta Gold Cup. Next the mag from from a 2017 Ruger SR1911-10 and on the right the mag that came with a DW Bruin in 10mm in 2017.

[​IMG]

And the base of the mags with the DW Bruin mag on the left. Take off the rubber bumper and it is a Metalform with the removable base. Next is the mag that came with the Ruger. The mag that came with the 1990 Delta Gold Cup is identical to a Metalform with the removable base. On the right is one of the two mags that came with the 2008 (when it was made) DW Classic. They have Dan Wesson on the sides but not sure who made them

[​IMG]

Anyway these mags have worked fine in the four 10mm 1911s I have. Pawing through mags I did find a single black MegGar 10mm mag. Not sure I have every used it yet. It has a follower different from any in the pictures.

16. Acroyer

Acroyer I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    I'll echo the Tripp Cobra mags. I have a RIA Ultra Tac MS that has trouble with every other mag I tried. Tripp mags work every time.

17. pacecars

pacecars Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2012
    These were made by Wicked Grips and also fed flawlessly

Attached Files:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted