1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which way is better to conceal a full size 1911.... IWB holster or OWB? Firearm will be Springfield Armory loaded .45. I was going to purchase a 10mm but there are more ammunition options with the .45. Suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Both have benefits. IWB covers it all, OWB still has the holster to conceal. Comfort goes to the OWB, although I carry IWB daily, even here in the AZ heat. I wear a tucked in undershirt, and an untucked baggy t-shirt or print shirt. I have two particular holsters for all the models I own.
IWB: Milt Sparks Criterion
OWB: Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard

·
We Are!
2,691 Posts
As noted, both OWB and IWB can work. For me, IWB conceals the best. I use either a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 or a Bruce Nelson Combat Leather Summer Special, along with a Milt Sparks IWB double-magazine pouch and a good gunbelt (mine is from A&G Gunleather).

Reactions: Dub and SLAM37

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
IMO, IWB provides better concealment (with a potential cost in some comfort), but body type and what kind of outer garment you will use has a lot to do with it so it is hard to say. There is a reason why folks have a box (or two) of holsters in the closet -- it can take a bit of experimenting to get it right. Make sure you get a very good belt regardless of the holster you choose -- for a full-size 1911 I might error on the side of going with one that has 1.75" width. Lot's of good choices out there, but you can't cut corners -- you will pay for good quality gear.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
IWB . OWB requires wearing a jacket . One thing I like about IWB , it doesn't inhibit me from reaching my wallet . OWB blocks pockets . You may have to buy larger pants or belt .

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
IWB. For me that is the end. Komifornia heat though. I'm more partial to a commander right now but it's more of a gun choice than anything. IME a full size is maybe a hair less comfortable. Sparks SS is a great choice and my go to. Kramer is also very good for a resonably priced option. Warbird leather holsters are worth every penny. Very comfortable as well, and IMO a bit more versatile. If kydex is your gig or you often have to carry under just a tucked in shirt, I really like the Vedder lite tucks. Steel frame commander (same frame as a FS, duh) disappears for me with just an undershirt and a tucked in, western type shirt.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,825 Posts
My favorite option for a full size 1911 is my light weight Dan Wesson Vigil (Government Model) 45 ACP in a Milt Sparks Criterion Holster. Perfect for all day / everyday carry! Best of luck with your choice.

C1C99050-33FE-4F2E-88AE-BE058A751D8B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
IWB for concealment.
OWB for comfort.
Agreed
Body shape comes in also
I'm over weight and IWB is not near as comfortable as OWB.
One size bigger shirt extra long tends to cover anything I carry including Gov't 1911's in an OWB
I've got a couple of Alessi holsters from 10+ year ago that work really well for me

Reactions: HawkEye and Dub

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The biggest thing to do is find a holster that works for you. I was a Milt Sparks fan until I got a 5 Shot IBS. The MS SS2/VM2 worked good but the IBS just fit me great. The all steel 5" ACW feels lighter now that it's in the holster best for me. I pair it with a belt from BigFoot leather. What work for me may not work for you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You have had some good thoughts. The last several years cell phones have made bulges under clothes acceptable. It used to be that any bulge brought attraction, not any more, so do not worry about it. You will be truly be carrying reconciled when you forget you are carrying.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts