Full sized vs. Commander

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Dreadnought, Jun 24, 2020.

1. noveske_nut

noveske_nut Money talks but here it only says buh bye!! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2017
    The Falcon came first. Mine is a 2014 and I believe the Valkyries came out in 2016.

20200104_191433.jpg

2. Countrydraftsman

Countrydraftsman New Member

Feb 26, 2020
    I carry both regularly, but prefer the 4 inch - a Kimber Pro 45. (I had issues with 3 inch models, as my hip bone structure levers the longer slides - gently pressing the grip into my side with a 4 or 5 inch gun which is better for concealment). What I really notice is the draw stroke is longer with the 5 inch guns. I know it's only an inch (less really), but it feels significantly easier to me to draw a 4 inch gun vs a 5. Just more natural as I don't have to "lift my shoulder" when drawing a 4 incher but do slightly with a 5. You wouldn't think it would matter, but to me and my carry method (IWB Galco V Hawk at 2:30) it did. Everybody is unique in their carry method and it takes awhile to figure out what works best for you. Wishing you much success on your journey!

OldCuz, Ethanol Red and noveske_nut like this.

3. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    It’s amazing what just an inch can make.

FWoo45 likes this.
  4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    :o.o:

Babboonbobo, timw1 and Ethanol Red like this.
  5. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I enjoy the feel and balance of a full size better than a commander . Even so, I don’t have any problem shooting a commander as well. I don’t carry , so All mine are full size . If I were to carry, I’d go with a LW commander .

If you want to carry and put a lot of range time in with it, get a steel frame .

I honestly could not feel or notice any difference in recoil until arthritis kicked in .

OldCuz and esmith1721 like this.
  6. timw1

timw1 I had lunch with Cheeto! Supporting Addict

Sep 2, 2016
    That's what she said? ....... Sorry couldn't resist.

7. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I just won in an auction (don't ask for how much) my ultimate gun, a lightly used 1970 Colt LW Commander in .38 super. Recently I have been moving more to carrying a Commander rather than full size.

I have not shot it yet but it handles really nice. I plan for this to be a regular carry gun once I get some work done to it, but I do not plan to shoot it much as I have other Commanders to shoot.

38553FE3-A532-435D-9DA3-73AD3C8F373E.jpeg

OldCuz, Uncle Bob, DonTejano and 8 others like this.
  8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    Well I wound up getting the full sized... but I’m already thinking about the commander. So seems like “both” was the correct answer.

9. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

Very sweet pistol. Begging to be carried.

I really like commanders. Full grip, old eyes pick up the front sight a bit easier.....a tad less to conceal when wearing OWB holsters and cover garment needed.

IWB, I’ve never minded Gubmint sized pistolas.

One of these days I want to try a 4.25” bobbed gat and see how I like them.

switchback, FWoo45 and simonp like this.
  10. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    So I guess size matters?

Babboonbobo and simonp like this.
  11. timw1

timw1 I had lunch with Cheeto! Supporting Addict

Sep 2, 2016
    Apparently, sorry to give you the bad news :grin:

Uncle Bob, Babboonbobo and simonp like this.
  12. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Ahhhh, the age ole question, commander, or full size.

This is a tough one.

Full size carries ok, shoots perfect, and very accurate. (Guncrafter / Nighthawk Falcon).

Then there is the commander, I choose something close a long time ago, Wilson Professionals (45acp, LW 9mm and LW 38 Super), just slightly (1/4") shorter than a commander.

I will have to agree I like the balance of the profession (commander) better, carries better, looks better, and feels better. BUT I still like carrying a full size also.

This is what is bad about 1911s. You park a piece of art in the garage and you get to choose which you drive (carry). You can park a polymer pistol anywhere, you don't care and no one else cares either. It's a piece of plastic with a piece of square steel on the top.
    Who cares. Put a 1911 in your hand and you have faith there are artisans still with us.

Pull out your polymer and you have something that can be made with your kids 3d printer and a leaf spring off your first car. (you know the one you properly wrecked on your first real date, lol)

Shoot what you want, carry what you want, just do me a favor and practice with it. Then make sure you take pics and tell us about it, lol.

GaryH, OldCuz, Uncle Bob and 6 others like this.
  13. mtkamark

mtkamark Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 1, 2020
    Agree with Both
    need a Commander

Uncle Bob likes this.
  14. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I looked long and hard at that commander, in perfect caliber too. Congratulations. Glad it went to one of our own

Greenrunner likes this.
  15. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Thanks. It is at Evolution Armory now, hope to have it back by end of the year. It is such a nice gun I am pretty much keeping it the same except for reliability issues, trigger job, new barrel, etc.

1911 crazed and switchback like this.
  16. Gunzgunzgunz

Gunzgunzgunz Member

Sep 14, 2020
  17. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Always had and use both. Right now I have a 9mm LWC that I actually like more than my 5"s. Balance and feel, just works right for me nearly stock and my 5"ers aren't.

18. USMC-Nav

USMC-Nav New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I first had a full size then later purchased the commander size. The little difference in length makes it more comfortable to carry. That said I kept both.

19. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    Im a firm believer that the guns we own and use are just tools for a specific job. If all you have is a hammer, you better hope all your problems are nails.

What I mean is I have a full size with a rail that I carry most of the time, especially If I'm going to the city to shop, dinner, etc., as my chances of something bad happening are higher and I want the five inch for a gunfight. I also have a 3 inch that I carry when I'm going to a friends house, or to my parents house, when the chances of a firefight are minimal.

I don't have a commander, but I want one and will get one when the funds permit. I think having all three just provides you more alternatives for various clothing options, destination options, or even just mood.

20. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I've been shooting my 9MM Valkyrie recently. The more I shoot it the more I like it. I also have a Colt Wiley Clapp commander and it shoots really well but the recoil of the 45 in the lightweight wears on you after 80 or 90 rounds. I shot the old IDPA classifier (90 rounds) with some 225 gr loads, I was kind of tired of it time I got to the last 10 shots. Both great guns. For the 45 a steel one is more pleasant. For carry, either one.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted