1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Test run of the grip safety frame tang fitting program. I wrote a .250, .245 and .240 program. I cut the first pass oversized and creep in on a almost final fit by lying about the tool size, which the machine compensates for.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
What Control? 2 or 3 axis? I fit an ejector the other day in the frame. I programmed a taper and took .001 on the nose side until the slide started to clear the front of the ejector. Once it cleared the nose I moved the back side .001 at a time until the slide went all the way on. It worked really well and came out nice. It’s pretty handy to be able to program a taper or a radius.

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ever machine an entire frame or slide from bar stock??
No. Slides and frames are difficult. Slides need a gun drill to do the barrel tunnel and frames can’t be machined 100%. A gun drill is basically a long cutter that has coolant flowing in it so you don’t heat the crap out of what you’re cutting.

You need a broaching machine to cut breechfaces, magwells and trigger tracks. Not all operations can be done on a CNC. Especially my little 2 axis machine.

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What Control? 2 or 3 axis? I fit an ejector the other day in the frame. I programmed a taper and took .001 on the nose side until the slide started to clear the front of the ejector. Once it cleared the nose I moved the back side .001 at a time until the slide went all the way on. It worked really well and came out nice. It’s pretty handy to be able to program a taper or a radius.
Yes. Tapers are cool. I’m going to start adding a taper to all my slides. Weld ups and new guns so the slide is tight in battery but has a thou or 2 of free play when cycling.

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice, I'll never live long enough to not still be hand cranking lol.. ;) Congrats guys...no reason not to go automated when you can.
You will always need to be able to turn handles in this business. Just make your machine that has handles turn them for you sometimes.

Power feed alone is worth the price of admission though if I’m being honest.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,015 Posts
I need a CNC, I could set my can of Diet Coke on it.
Interesting and fantastic work.

Reactions: WC145 and Kip

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I worked the last of my career requesting machine parts/assemblies utilizing 4 & 5 axis CNC machines. We then verified results using Laser tracking equipment. And to think the early way was to use 3 axis methods with skilled hands blending the contours.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,777 Posts
No. Slides and frames are difficult. Slides need a gun drill to do the barrel tunnel and frames can’t be machined 100%. A gun drill is basically a long cutter that has coolant flowing in it so you don’t heat the crap out of what you’re cutting.

You need a broaching machine to cut breechfaces, magwells and trigger tracks. Not all operations can be done on a CNC. Especially my little 2 axis machine.
I understand 100% I used to run one of these for eight years until I changed jobs, five axis cnc lathe with 30 station tool changer

could make damn near anything you could dream of on it with my Mastercam software.
Also had a dual head Multus B400 which was much larger

·
MP Custom
418 Posts
Glad to see you guys advancing and improving your processes. Hope you still plan on selling carbide tooling because your cutters are the best.

What angle of cutter are you using on that magwell, it looks great.

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to see you guys advancing and improving your processes. Hope you still plan on selling carbide tooling because your cutters are the best.

What angle of cutter are you using on that magwell, it looks great.
15 degree.

And yes, we still make tooling but since it’s such a specialized client base sales have dropped a little. We’re not keeping much in stock anymore but if we order something we usually get it in 2 weeks or less with very small order minimums so it’s not really a big deal.

And Brownells has 4 of our more popular SKU’s in stock.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I understand 100% I used to run one of these for eight years until I changed jobs, five axis cnc lathe with 30 station tool changer

could make damn near anything you could dream of on it with my Mastercam software.
Also had a dual head Multus B400 which was much larger
My last 20 years of my career was spent working for the largest cutting tool manufacturer in the world providing turn key tooling packages for CNC machines many like the Multitasking machines Okuma Multus, Mazak Integrex, DMG MORI NT and CTX series and others.
Our company was the innovator of the number 1 spindle interface for these machines named CAPTO.
It was a fun and rewarding job selecting all the tooling for a wide variety of customer components and seeing the project thru to the finished product on one of these machines. All aspects of machining are involved.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,777 Posts
My last 20 years of my career was spent working for the largest cutting tool manufacturer in the world providing turn key tooling packages for CNC machines many like the Multitasking machines Okuma Multus, Mazak Integrex, DMG MORI NT and CTX series and others.
Our company was the innovator of the number 1 spindle interface for these machines named CAPTO.
It was a fun and rewarding job selecting all the tooling for a wide variety of customer components and seeing the project thru to the finished product on one of these machines. All aspects of machining are involved.
Loved CAPTO holders, they’re awesome and both lathes used C6 but some tools only came in much smaller sizes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts